Menu

LifePAC style classical learning?

(Cross posted from curriculum board)

So, dw and I were discussing first grade for our dd, and we need to try to find a compromise solution for history curriculum. I was originally thinking of using SOTW along with Biblioplan, CHOL, or Easy Classical. I showed her, and she is not a fan. Too many books and too much reading and takes too long. It is difficult with having the younger two children to put the time into reading books and doing projects and whatnot.

What she would prefer is either a video or computer based curriculum, or something like the Alpha Omega Life PACs, or similar. Some kind of worktext my daughter can read and answer questions about right on the page.

I would at least like to continue the Trivium based order of learning, with a 4 year history cycle though.

Any ideas???

Edited by tntgoodwin

Why not just do SOTW CDs with the Activity Book? The student pages are available as a separate book, too. Your daughter could listen to the story, narrate it, and then do the corresponding page in the AB. There are lots of other activities suggested in the Activity Book, and you could just pick and choose which ones look doable for your situation.

For much of our first cycle, we listened to SOTW cds, the boys colored the coloring pages while we listened, and then we did the map work. Super easy and very doable.

We did one activity--an archaeological dig for the first chapter of SOTW 1. I did have them narrate a bit, but dropped it after not to long (too many babies & toddlers).

I found my boys remembered quite a bit, much to my surprise, when we hit our 2nd time through the cycle.

Why not just do SOTW CDs with the Activity Book? The student pages are available as a separate book, too. Your daughter could listen to the story, narrate it, and then do the corresponding page in the AB. There are lots of other activities suggested in the Activity Book, and you could just pick and choose which ones look doable for your situation.

:iagree:This is exactly what I was going to post. No need to make 1st grade more difficult than it needs to be. The activity guide will have suggestions for additional reading & you could get the books from the library to have on hand if you have time.

Hmmm...that may work.

We listened to a sample lesson, do 1st graders typically enjoy listening to them? She is worried that the information is over our kiddo's head and that she will get bored listening to them... do you find this to be the case?

No way! My kids love those stories! My ds (13yo) still remembers stories he heard on those CDs in 1st grade. He did listen to the stories more than once though.

Also, I love the program so much that I brought it to my school and it is now the main history program for grades 1-4. It is by far the favorite program according to the kids and their parents!

And could she do the same thing with Mystery of History instead? My dw seems to think that it would be more interesting to my dd...

If you think SOTW would be over her head then I wouldn't even attempt MOH. I did MOH with a very advanced 2nd grader and it was fine but most people find it too much at that age and prefer to leave it until the second cycle.

We had a 13 hr car trip and we listened to the SOTW CD's the entire trip. My daughter loved, I enjoyed it but my husband was ready to jump out of the car by the third CD.

We will be listening to the CD's one story at a time and doing the activity pages this upcoming year for 2nd grade. I am surprised at how much my daughter remembered from listening to them all in a row in the car.

Tony,

I understand your dw has some reservations about history; but, I really think y'all need to understand that most 6 year olds simply aren't ready for independent work because regardless of academic ability; there's still emotional maturity to keep in mind. I know you'll read/hear about the 6 year old that schooled herself; but, assuming that's even true, it's not the norm.

Perhaps if you and your dw take the time now to really think about and decide how/what you want your kids to learn and what's truly important to you (talking educational philosphy here) it might make these decisions easier. And, believe me, this is an easy decision compared to what's coming up in the later years.

Of course, I don't know what other issues your family may be facing right now. But know that many of us teach young ones with even littler ones in the house, underfoot, getting into and "rearranging" the pantry. <Ahem> And if you need to let content areas go for a year (except for read-alouds, etc) that's OK. Your dd won't be harmed.

In the end you and your dw will decide what's best for your situation and it'll be OK.

We didn't do the cd's but dd was either 4 or barely 5 when we started sotw and it instantly became her favorite subject. She loved the format and still reads the first book in her free time now that we've moved on to sotw 2. Getting the library books to go with the weekly lessons was also fun for her.

I credit sotw for installing a love for history in dd that I think will stay with her throughout her schooling. Also, we started Bible study before adding history and had done a lot of Old Testament reading before and during sotw 1. She loved reading about egypt, babylon, etc and linking it to her bible knowledge.

Eta: I also have a close friend who has a six year old doing sotw & her just turned 4 year old insists on sitting in to listen because she enjoys the stories. If you only looked at the first chapter you might want to look at some in the middle before you make your decision.