Menu

What kind of homeschooler are you?

We are unlabel-ers ;).

We're so atypical, we're normal :lol:!!!

We're not unschoolers. Although, for some subjects at some times, we are. I don't prescribe to classical, Charlotte Mason or TJE. I don't use a particular curriculum, I use a mix of textbooks and whatever. Every year I have used different things. So, it's kind of hard to label myself.

I have a feeling many people are in the same boat as me!

Exhausted.

Oh, wait, that's not what you meant.

:iagree: :lol:

Mostly CM, with some neo-classical, eclectic, and delight-led mixed in for good measure. Secular, although we are a religious family (so's that clear as mud?). Relaxed, but only because I don't have enough time/energy/willpower to do it any other way. And literature-based. We like to read. A lot.

Edited by SuperDad

Eclectic I guess... but with a definite STEM focus. Definitely not TJE and definitely not unschoolers; our day is full of textbooks, real books, work texts, and probably resembles a traditional scholastic approach.

We do history chronologically - does that count as Classical? Lol.

We are Catholic and our curriculum choices reflect that.

We are adapted classical, classical being defined LCC style for us.

We are adapted because we focused on Asian history one year, and we study Japanese instead of Greek. We will probably study more Eastern Civ in high school at some point.

We follow a multum non multa approach, which I have to remind myself of every so often so I don't add too much to the schedule.

Exhausted.

Oh, wait, that's not what you meant. Eclectic with Classical leanings. Secular homeschooler, although a Christian.

Yeah, I was going to say, "tired, overwhelmed...." we like to call ourselves "followers of TWTM" but we don't always do it right. I guess philosophically speaking I'd align myself with neo-classical homeschooling, but that doesn't always play itself out in the realities of daily life.

The good kind. :)

We are new to officially homeschooling, but I'd say we were a lot of Montessori in the preschool years, and now we consider ourselves Classical, CM, and Eclectic. We use what works for each individual child. We have a heavy focus on raising thinking children who can handle all aspects of life including family and career. Math, science, reading, writing, and speaking abilities are very important, as well as, basic life skills.

I don't know....

Just us.....

Though I have been on homeschool message boards and in homeschool chats since before my oldest was three,

I don't even know what some of the descriptions y'all used actually MEAN. I'm sure a big part of that is that

I just wasn't interested past what I could grab and run with.

When I worked with my friend's son, we were WTM with a bunch of stuff thrown in.

I think that is similar to the direction we'll go with the littles.

A whatever works homeschooler!

I have almost always used Sonlight but I am switching to workbooks.....*gasp* next week because I am tired of fighting my way through the day. Maybe after a few months of "Here ya go kid, go do lesson 7 in each workbooks and come back when you are finished" will get them working with me a bit better next year.

Relaxed, 3 R's only, no formal history or science.

This, pretty much, with lots of outside activities (chess, pottery, nature, field trips, drama class, ice skating lessons, karate, soccer, Lego club, book club, science, biography and international fairs through the homeschool group, one-time classes at the local children's museum, etc.)

Just kidding... I've always wanted to say that. ;)

I used to say "eclectic" but I think we've tipped past eclectic and on to eccentric... And on the way picked up a ton of books (including textbooks - gasp!) and some random interests that fit only us. But still quite rigorous, lots of hard work, lots of time and energy spent, but only towards interesting things that are worth that kind of time and energy.

Relaxed/eclectic/secular

Same here.

I'm curious, what do you do for history and science? My son watches the History Channel quite a bit, I'm wondering if that could take the place of history?

In one word - Eclectic. If you want me to be more specific then let me list the approaches I use in order of amount (think ingredients)

WTM

LCC

Waldorf and Unschooling duke it out for third

What-Ever-The-Heck-Works-That-Moment

We started being a "pure" Waldorf family with reading books thrown in. Then my then two-year-old DD had the audacity to figure out most of her letters. We switched to a mix of Waldorf and WTM with a hint of Montessori. Then along came LCC which we switched to. Just this year have had to broaden our scope so I added in Logic from WTM and followed their suggestions for writing. We do no Latin or Greek but would like to do Japanese. This is 100% secular now.

I've had this theory for a while that the longer you've homeschooled the more eclectic you get in approach. To me, this is one of the benefits of home schooling - we as parents learn a lot about different forms of education and apply it to our kids.

Edited by Elizabeth in MN

Another vote for relaxed eclectic. Some would say we unschool - some would not. Labels smabels. :tongue_smilie: We definitely do a lot of learning outside the home - field trips, travel, classes….

There are parts of TJE I like.

There are parts of classical I like - particularly the study of logic.

Edited by kathymuggle

Semi-classical/CM/traditional "school at home"-DD really, at this point in her life, likes to have school look/feel like she thinks school should be, and likes having the schedules, focus, notebooks, textbooks, and so on, which has pushed us a little more to traditional vs TWTM/CM, and science and math take a larger % of our time than TWTM calls for.

I'd say "eclectic", except that I'm in an eclectic homeschooling group and most people who call themselves eclectic are MUCH more relaxed than DD can handle-she thrives on and needs structure.

Not sure what TJE is so I would guess I am not. I am a mixture I guess. I love the unschooling theory but have never tried it. I love CM and have done that on and off.I love books, libraries so fall in there more. I really need structure though so I don't survive real well there.

Initially reluctant?

I guess we are secular and pretty rigorous (meaning a wide variety of subjects covered in depth to me). We have a gifted son with HFA who can be a challenge to keep challenged and connected to the outside world.

I am going with my old fall back for parenting. I am a "whatever works" homeschooler.

Inquiry science

Math Labs

Classical Language Arts

History (classcial) based

Waldorfy in that we don't do tv, we do handwork in the evenings lol

CM in that we do nature study and are outside a LOT :001_smile:

Like the IDEA of TJED but not sure how to make it work in real life . . .

Let's just say we're ECLECTIC :D

A beginner. I really like what I hear about classical so far and it definitely inspires me but I haven't even read the book yet. I decide what subjects I want to teach then find curriculum and material. I want a good solid well rounded education for the kids. I am a secular homeschooler. I originally thought unschooling sounded so great but dd needs structure and routine and I have since done a complete turnaround on that.

Edited by MistyMountain

Yeah, that (above). Except we also make time for science (BFSU) and reading through the Dangerous Book for Boys & Daring Book for Girls. Lots of rabbit trails!

So, let's see, in a nutshell, we're relaxed, fairly child-led, and eclectic.

Same here.

I'm curious, what do you do for history and science? My son watches the History Channel quite a bit, I'm wondering if that could take the place of history?

Historical fiction and non-fiction read-alouds, historical reenactments (I love these), storytelling (esp. DH and Native American legends), conversations about the history of the places we visit, museums, lots of documentaries about King Tut because the elder DD is obsessed with him, and on and on.

Whether or not the History Channel takes the place of history studies depends on your goals. Our goal is that our girls see that history is fascinating, relevant and make connections between what happened then and what's happening now. At the moment, our approach appears to be working.