How do you bake potatoes  

1. 1. How do you bake potatoes

• Just toss it in the oven
    • Poke holes
    • Oil, poke holes
    • Wrap with foil, poke holes
    • Wrap with foil, NO poking
    • Other

I've always poked holes, dh's mother never has. We couldn't think of a reason why one would poke holes, unless it's to prevent the potato from exploding. MIL has always lived at high altitude - validates the no danger of it exploding maybe?

I still poke holes, regardless of the fact that I can't give a good reason as to why I do it. Just curious as to how other families bake their potatoes.

ETA: Actual intact baked potato

Edited by jadedone80

We don't poke holes unless we're microwaving it for fast cooking. And that's so it doesn't start to explode in the microwave. :D

If we're putting it in the oven, we wash it, brush it with oil, salt it, wrap it in foil, and bake at 350 for close to an hour. No hole poking. I've never had a potato 'explode' in the oven, I think that's way less likely to happen than it is in the microwave. Though I guess it can't HURT to poke holes in it first anyway!

Edited by NanceXToo

Wash, pierce with knife or fork along the midline, roll in salt, bake at 450 until internal temperature is exactly 210F (I need to justify to myself the outrageous amount I paid for a top-of-the-line instant read thermometer), usually 50 minutes-70 minutes, depending on size.

I have had a potato explode, probably the one time I forgot to poke.

ETA: no tinfoil

Edited by nmoira

Wash, pierce with knife or fork along the midline, roll in salt, bake at 450 until internal temperature is exactly 210F (I need to justify to myself the outrageous amount I paid for a top-of-the-line instant read thermometer), usually 50 minutes-70 minutes, depending on size.

I have had a potato explode, probably the one time I forgot to poke.

ETA: no tinfoil

:lol:

I only poke holes if I put in microwave oven or it will explode :scared:

If the regular oven, just oiled, seasoned, and 400 for about 1 hr

I have microwaved in a pinch and not had one explode....no holes. I want to make a potato bag to bake in the microwave :) sometimes I want a potato NOW not in am hour.

Now, I am going to pit some potatoes in because I am having a craving ;)

We poke holes before putting them in the oven. I have had them explode in the oven before.

We have always just poked holes. That being said, I did have one explode in my oven anyway a few years ago.

:iagree:

I've also had one explode in the regular, non-microwave oven. It's really annoying when you've only put in one potato per family member, and suddenly POOF one's gone.

I've always poked holes, dh's mother never has. We couldn't think of a reason why one would poke holes, unless it's to prevent the potato from exploding. MIL has always lived at high altitude - validates the no danger of it exploding maybe?

I still poke holes, regardless of the fact that I can't give a good reason as to why I do it. Just curious as to how other families bake their potatoes.

ETA: Actual intact baked potato

I have had potatoes explode if I didn't poke ENOUGH holes. They don't burst all over the oven, though. They sort of ooze out one side more so.

This reminds me of a great waitressing story...

Fairly influential Mobster comes in, late...last table of the night, drunk as a skunk, can't throw him out, he owns the joint..demands a baked potato..we served them wrapped in foil, you peel open at the table...

He didn't.

Just got out his fork n knife, sliced it up and ate it foil and all.

We just stood in the shadows and snickered...lol

I slip ours onto a metal shush kebab skewer and pop in the oven. They cook quicker because of the metal skewer....and come out yummy.

Faithe

Clever! I'm going to have to try that.

I poke them several times with a fork. I *have* had a potato explode in the oven.

I tried doing oil and salt on the outside once. It was incredibly delicious, so I have no idea why I haven't tried it again.

Poking a hole in the potato is necessary if you microwave, otherwise not.

I generally poke it full of holes, and throw it in the microwave while heating the oven to a high temperature. Then I rub it with oil and salt, and throw it in the oven until brown and crispy (maybe 10 minutes?).

Poking a hole in the potato is necessary if you microwave, otherwise not.

I generally poke it full of holes, and throw it in the microwave while heating the oven to a high temperature. Then I rub it with oil and salt, and throw it in the oven until brown and crispy (maybe 10 minutes?).

I think I'm going to try it this way next time. I usually poke holes and put it in the microwave because I don't like to wait an hour for the oven.

I poke holes because I want it dry inside--I like mine fluffy, not wet inside. Poking lets the moisture out (and does prevent exploding, but that's not the primary reason I do it).

Dh likes to brush the cleaned potato with egg white and then roll it in kosher salt and wrap it in foil. I don't like those as much. The salt gets everywhere when you unwrap it, and I can't eat the skin then.