Menu

SINGAPORE USERS - ? about jumping into Singapore midstream....

Rosie

How difficult would it be for a child to jump into Singapore at 3A (or 3B), having had a mediocre math education thus far but not having struggled much with math to this point? In other words, would an average to above average math student who has no mental math training nor an understanding of number bonds find success in Singapore if she starts at 3A and continues on from there?

Is the mental math training essential to the later grades?

Does anyone have personal experience with jumping in to Singapore at 3A?

The child in question is currently in 3rd grade and will start homeschooling in the fall, but I'm assuming she will need to start at 3A. I know she will need to take the placement tests to fine tune that, but that's my best guess….

I think your question will be answered when she takes the placement test. In other words, understanding number bonds and doing the mental math problems are all part of the placement test. If she doesn't understand those things, she will test into a level that teaches them.

My student started Singapore at level 4A this year. He doesn't seem to be having an extremely difficult time, but we are moving more slowly (I suspect) than we would be, if he'd been in Singapore previously. It takes him longer to work equations with fractions, for instance, because he doesn't have the mental math tricks memorized. We are learning those at the same time as working with the fractions.

Does that answer your question? Please, let me know if I wasn't clear.

I second the use of placement tests. Whatever level she ends up in, I highly recommend you treat the mental math exercises separate from the rest of the text. Read the HIG and remediate the mental math part, starting small. Thus far, each HIG level seems to review the previous years mental math strategies.

My son placed in 3A, but I backed him up to 2B and we doubled up and skipped the sections he already knew. Initially, I made the mistake of forcing him to do the mental math at level. Bad idea! When he threw multiple fits, I stopped forcing the mental math exercises although I always encouraged their use. Now, he uses them without thinking about it, as time has shown the strategies work.

I agree about the placement tests. They will give you a good idea where she needs to start. My son started homeschooling for 3rd grade and the placement test showed he had some gaps so we started in 2A. We went quickly through units he already knew and spent more time on things he'd missed in public school. He is in 3A now and I expect him to be caught up to grade level by the fall. He hasn't had any trouble with the mental math. We just talk about the techniques and practice as we go.

My daugheter finished third grade math in a different program last school year, but we decided to switch to Singapore this year. During the summer, we did 2B to become familiar with the set up and mental math strategies. We started 3a in the fall and she's doing well with it.

That being said, 3a does review the previously taught mental math strategies, but it doesn't spend much time on them. If your child does well with math, you may be able to start with 3a and just spend a little extra time reviewing the strategies.

I moved my son to Singapore in 3rd grade. He was ahead of grade level in the curriculum he was doing, but only tested at Singapore 2A mostly due to mental math. We did 3 levels the first year and we are doing 3 levels this year. It had a bit of a learning curve, but it was an excellent move for us.

We did RS A and Singapore 1A in K with my oldest. Then she went to PS for 3 years. She was in a Spanish Immersion school and taught math directly in Spanish (using Everyday Math no less :tongue_smilie:). It's a good thing she had a head start going in because after three years of trying to learn it in a foreign language from a horrible math program she fell a bit behind. We did the Singapore placement test with her before starting 4th - she was at 3A. So we started at 3A, skipped a few things she didn't need to work on, slowed down on mental math strategies, and just kind of did what she needed. In 3B, which we are working in now, there will be more things she can easily skip. I think we will probably do math through the summer and start 5th grade with 4B.

Even though she's "behind" in singapore she knocked the socks off her standardized testing at the end of 2011. And yes, I do think the mental math strategies taught are important for success later in the program. Using the HIG for at least 3A might be beneficial so you both understand the approach and concepts (number bonds, various mental math strategies, etc) and have some lessons spelled out on how to teach the concepts. Plus there are answer keys for the workbooks in the HIG which I find a big time saver when you're a busy HSing parent.

Good luck this fall!

We tried starting in 4A (which dd placed in according to the test), but singapore was so different than what she had used before that it was very frustrating for her. We ended up dropping it after the one book. I've talked to others that it has worked for though, so it's prob all dependent on the child.