Menu

From those familiar with (psych/clinical) research, I need help........

I am seeking a summer internship to get some research exeprience. In so doing, I was solicited to design, and impliment a research project in the exact area I hope to eventually have as a speciality. :001_huh::D This from 2 well known experts in the field.

The problem is that, um, I am seeking research experience because I don't have any. :)

The area is abuse through the family law courts. The topic is coercive control and the error courts make in calling them high conflict and adjudicating "evenly" when one is a victimizer and the other is a victim.

I need to create a design and plan for research and evaluation.

Can someone here point me in the right direction(s)?

Hmm, What else do you know about it? So, what you need to show is something like a statistical analysis of clients who have certain diagnoses who are then given a certain order by the court and then the likelihood of what happens after that? Does that make sense?

So what you're trying to show is that clients who are abusive/cotrolling/diagnosed with certain criteria in a counseling setting and then given a 50/50... order? or something? by a family judge will then behave in a certain way? I think that's a great research project. Do you have a "Designing a Research Project" textbook? That would help with the setting up, etc.

Here are a few points:

1. Access to court cases? Are you cleared to access LexisNexis to find

precedents and patterns?

2. What guidelines determine abuse. Do you decide what you consider abuse?

3. Are you just looking for a certain district or nationwide?

4. Any parameters you have in mind? For example: Cases involving children from 12-18, cases involving 0-18, include domestic violence cases, not necessarily involving custody/children issues and a a host more?

Define parameter clearly before you research. Know what you are looking for and what to weed out. Don't get bogged down reviewing interesting info when it does fall into the parameters you have set (always my pitfall) :001_smile:

Edited by Liz CA

Have you already done a literature search? If not, I would try to find papers as similar to your research question as possible, and see what sort of protocol and design they used, including sample size, controls, etc.

You probably have no idea what effect size you are interested in, and hence little (to no) information in order to do a sample size calculation. In such cases, often it is acceptable to just use a sample size that is the convention for the type of research.

ETA: And pay particular attention to papers by the two experts!

Edited by 5of5

I am seeking a summer internship to get some research exeprience. In so doing, I was solicited to design, and impliment a research project in the exact area I hope to eventually have as a speciality. :001_huh::D This from 2 well known experts in the field.

By research do you mean raw data or mega analysis?

By research do you mean raw data or mega analysis?

She wants a plan for research and evaluation and mentions "data" that can be used. If she can use the research for a grant, I can possibly get paid (beyond curriculum vitae usefulness).

I am emailing her later this week with preliminary ideas and request for more information.

Either way, I know I have to start with a literature analysis (not the English Teacher kind ;)).