Menu

Baking Roundup: February 25

Hello fellow bakers! One poster early in the week wrote about making Paczki on Fat Tuesday. Anyone make a King cake?

Last weekend I made an apple/pecan bundt cake. A significant portion went into the office with my husband to share with colleagues. I also made burger buns from the recipe in Julia Child's The Way to Cook, substituting a cup of whole wheat for some of the plain flour. And I enjoyed the Irish soda bread that I made last week so much that I made another loaf.

As I write, I have these blueberry scones in the oven. I do not make the glaze. Rather, I sprinkle a bit of vanilla sugar on the top of the scones before baking. Also, instead of cream, I use buttermilk, plain yogurt, milk--whatever is in the fridge. And frozen blueberries!

What's baking?

Last night I made Italian Cream Cake cupcakes (trying out various recipes for the upcoming wedding). Everyone really liked them, but I wasn't too keen on them. It is a new recipe for me and uses Hazelnut syrup. I'm not a huge hazelnut fan, but the rest of the family likes it. I think it would be better if I decrease the amount of hazelnut syrup. It was used as flavoring in the cake as well as in the frosting. But they did look pretty and "wedding worthy".

Tonight I will be making Brownie Tiramisu for my ds's birthday (which was on Thursday but they are home from college this week).

Pretty!!! Is that rolled fondant?

I know there are experienced fondant makers on the boards, but I am not one of them! Looks tricky to me.

I'm going to try your scone recipe today. I want to send some back to college with the boys.

I hope they like them. How nice to have the boys home!

My baking project for today is dog treats.

Non-dog owner here but I have made dog treats a couple of times with youth groups and a 4-H club. We donated them to one of the shelters. Great kid project.

Made snickerdoodles for a piano recital on Thursday. And I'm not eating sweets during Lent, so that was a tough one for me! Made a double batch of bran muffins last weekend. It was nice to have muffins throughout the week. I think I'll make a double batch of blueberry muffins this weekend.

I was inspired by last weeks Baking Roundup. I checked Flour by Joanne Chung out of the library.

First I made lemon ginger scones. Good, but donut-like. Then I made potato bread. It was very soft, but needed a bit of wheat or rye flour I think. Then I mixed up some brioche dough. Then I got up really late on Wed. and made lemon curd. Thursday I made cinnamon rolls out of the brioche dough and pastry cream. We ate the cinnamon rolls with lemon curd and pastry cream.

Yeah, it got a little crazy.

I still have another loaf of brioche dough. I could make berliner style donuts or brioche pain-aux-raisins this weekend.

Next weekend I'm cutting down a bit.

I made a king cake on Tuesday. And I experimented with making brownies in a small muffin tin - fail. I need to make 400 plus cupcakes and brownies for an event soon. The kids loved that the brownies failed - they could eat the crumbled bits.

I made some bread, buns, do waffles count?

I baked three dozen vegan cupcakes for my daughter's birthday. We made lime-coconut, red velvet, and oreo chocolate. They were all from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. They were all yummy (and did wonders for my waistline! :tongue_smilie:).

Don't you just love dependable recipes?! Between this cookbook and Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake, I'm not stressing anymore about baking failures while entertaining.

We are making chocolate whoopie pies with creme cheese filling.

And some crockpot apple butter.

:001_tt1:

I haven't had whoopie pies in a while. My daughter went whoopie pie crazy when I bought her the pan and a cookbook last year. I think I'm ready to love them again!

I'm going to put in a request this weekend.

Don't you just love dependable recipes?! Between this cookbook and Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake, I'm not stressing anymore about baking failures while entertaining.

When my son returns home from college for spring break, this is the cake that I'll have waiting for him. It is his hands down favorite--but not one that I can ship!

When my son returns home from college for spring break, this is the cake that I'll have waiting for him. It is his hands down favorite--but not one that I can ship!

It's our favorite too! We go back and fourth on dark or regular cocoa powder, other than that we all agree, this is the queen of all cakes.

I was sick most of the week, so didn't do much in the way of cooking at all.

I did make Whole Wheat Molasses Rolls for dinner, with some ground flax in them and flax seed on top. Super easy.

I made apricot-almond scones (cream scone recipe with apricot puree and buttermilk instead of cream, diced dried apricot, and chopped almonds), and whole wheat apple muffins for breakfast.

I wanted to make those Portugese muffins, but wasn't really up to making something new. This week, I think! :)

Cat

Today I made mini blueberry muffins, and I will later make mini banana muffins, some with chocolate chips and some without. My boys and dh and mini muffin freaks. :D

I was going to bake some italian bread this weekend, but we just got home from the grocery store where they had huge, beautiful loaves for $1.39, so I just bought one. :tongue_smilie:

I was sick most of the week, so didn't do much in the way of cooking at all.

I did make Whole Wheat Molasses Rolls for dinner, with some ground flax in them and flax seed on top. Super easy.

I made apricot-almond scones (cream scone recipe with apricot puree and buttermilk instead of cream, diced dried apricot, and chopped almonds), and whole wheat apple muffins for breakfast.

I wanted to make those Portugese muffins, but wasn't really up to making something new. This week, I think! :)

Cat

Sorry to hear that you were under the weather but glad that you are on the mend. And for a person who was under the weather, it sounds like you were productive. Good job, Cat!

I baked about 50 mint chocolate chip cookies, about 100 monster cookies, a half a sheet pan of apple pie bars, 12 loaves of whole wheat bread and my son made some jam filled cookies. Everything but the filled cookies was for bake sale fundraising this weekend so next week I will have to do more baking so my family can actually eat some.