Menu

Dr HIVE - Pinkeye?

DH treated his pink eye with tea bags. He found the information online somewhere. Just Google it and you will find lots of home remedies. Some were rather scary, chemicals and such in the eye. We felt like tea bag compresses were safe. The warmth pulled gunk out and I think the tea helped it clear up faster. Keep your hands clean!

I took my son in with pink eye and they did not five us any meds. dH recovered with no meds. I think there are differing opinions on treatment.

I hope you find some relief.

Much to my husband's dismay, I went to the ER when I suspected I had pink eye over the weekend. The doctor said it was a good thing I had, as pink eye can damage the eye if not treated in time. (Not to mention the fact that it is so painful if not treated.)

Yes, if it is bacterial, but I saw the ophthamologist last time I had pinkeye, and he said the vast majority of pinkeye is viral and goes away on its own without treatment. OP, if you got it in the middle of a cold, it is most likely viral and will go away by itself I (although I might be more concerned if you have bronchitis since that is also bacterial). Sometimes doctors will give you eye drops just to make sure it is not bacterial, but the trend is going away from this now due to concerns about overuse of antibiotics.

You should be ok waiting until Monday. Use lukewarm washcloths, and wear glasses instead of contacts if you wear them. Try to wash your hands a lot as you can spread it to the other eye easily. It's annoying, but not typically dangerous.

The dr I saw at a walk in clinic, wouldn't do anything about it, even though I could barely see and I was crying it was so painful. She said I would get addicted to the eye drops and you couldn't use them more than 2 or 3 times:confused:

So, I tried Similasan pink eye homeopathic drops, gave me instant relief and was full cleared up in 3 days!

It's a little pricey (well for me at the time) it was around $10-12 for a tiny bottle but I swear by it now, and it's safe for kids too.

Both my ds's had pinkeye years ago. At the time the doc told us that, generally, if both eyes are infected it's bacterial but if just one, it's viral. We took the boys in as both eyes were infected. She also found evidence of early ear infection, which she said was common with bacterial pinkeye. They took antibiotics but it was still very uncomfortable for them. We had to keep the house dark all day because the light was painful to their eyes.

I've heard the teabag thing works for comforting the eyes. I didn't do this with my ds's, though. Steep the bags then squeeze them out and put the warm teabags on your eyes for a few minutes. Then enjoy a cup of hot tea. I hope you feel better soon!

It's both in both eyes {right one started first though}, and the gunk is greenish so I'm pretty sure it's bacterial. I can't use eye drops {history of bad reactions and loss of vision}, so I have no idea what they will give me for it - can you take oral antibiotics for it?

I'll try the tea bags. They have improved some and don't have the gritty feel they did Thursday night and all day Friday, but they are still sore and raw feeling. There doesn't seem to be quite a much gunk either.

I wish I still had some of my pumped milk - I'd use it in a heartbeat. But DD weaned 4.5 years ago so it's long gone.

It's both in both eyes {right one started first though}, and the gunk is greenish so I'm pretty sure it's bacterial.

This is how the viral infections go though, and color is no indicator of type of infection. If you got it in one eye first, and then the other one a couple of days later, it is most likely viral (direct words from the ophthamologist). It is when it presents in both eyes at the same time that they consider bacterial. It will seem to get worse at first, and eventually get better if viral.

So, I tried Similasan pink eye homeopathic drops, gave me instant relief and was full cleared up in 3 days!

It's a little pricey (well for me at the time) it was around $10-12 for a tiny bottle but I swear by it now, and it's safe for kids too.

:iagree: LOVE this stuff. Keep it in the house all the time now.

This is how the viral infections go though, and color is no indicator of type of infection. If you got it in one eye first, and then the other one a couple of days later, it is most likely viral (direct words from the ophthamologist). It is when it presents in both eyes at the same time that they consider bacterial. It will seem to get worse at first, and eventually get better if viral.

It was maybe 6 hours between presentation in the right eye vs. left eye.

Really hoping it's viral!

Uh-oh, that really does sound bacterial. Are you on oral antibiotics for the bronchitis? That should at least help until you can get to a doctor.

Nope - no antibiotics for anything right now. I spent all week going round and round with state medicaid getting us signed back up. And even after all that, it's not showing active at the pharmacy :glare::glare:

I never wait to treat pink eye. IF your dr is closed go to an urgent care center. I usually have a bottle of drops here from the last case and treat right away anyway. THe tubes are so expensive and because we treat so quickly only need it twice a day for 3 days. The leaves A LOT of medicine in the tube. The ped told us as long as it never ever touches the eye it is safe to keep it and use for eye irritation/pink eye etc.

Eyes imo are never anything to leave untreated even for a couple days to wait for the Dr. I would go to an urgent care or ER to get a Rx for it.

Nope - no antibiotics for anything right now. I spent all week going round and round with state medicaid getting us signed back up. And even after all that, it's not showing active at the pharmacy :glare::glare:

In this case, I would go to urgent care today anyway (not ER, because it is not a life or death emergency, and the charges and wait times there are insane) and explain the situation. Most state medicaid programs have a rule that they will cover charges backdated to when you apply, regardless of time for paperwork processing.

:grouphug: Hope you get some meds soon!

I never wait to treat pink eye. IF your dr is closed go to an urgent care center. I usually have a bottle of drops here from the last case and treat right away anyway. THe tubes are so expensive and because we treat so quickly only need it twice a day for 3 days. The leaves A LOT of medicine in the tube. The ped told us as long as it never ever touches the eye it is safe to keep it and use for eye irritation/pink eye etc.

Eyes imo are never anything to leave untreated even for a couple days to wait for the Dr. I would go to an urgent care or ER to get a Rx for it.

Yeah, but you are in Canada, right? I would not recommend the ER in the U.S. for pinkeye. I've been charged over $500 for a 10 min. visit in the ER and one peek in my ear by a doctor resulting in an antibiotics prescription. A charge my insurance company refused to pay no less, because it wasn't a "true" emergency (despite said insurance company's phone nurse telling me to go to ER).