Menu

GSWS for Kindle...others? / Lent

Ariston

I'm sure this has been discussed before on here, but I just noticed that GSWS is available for the Kindle (and Nook) for only $10 (compared with $20+ for hardcopy). So I'm just wondering what other good deals are out there for the Kindle? I have my eye on the BFSU books, which are also $10 (compared with $20 or $30.) I'd also like to get SOTW but it is basically the same price as the paperback.

Any other good deals?

And in a related question, I have given up all discretionary spending for Lent. Is curriculum discretionary? I mean, my children NEED to learn, right?! ;):D

Elena

Just make your list and purchase after Easter? :lol:

Sigh...I guess you're right. Keeping me on the straight and narrow...

Oooooh, thanks!!! I'd seen people reference them as being $5 before and just assumed the price had changed. Now I can get both of the ones I don't have for the price of one...AFTER Easter :D

Elena

I should add that I have the 5.00 version and there is no link able table of contents but you can scroll through a pane of 9 pp at a time and fairly easy to see. I used kindle and goodreader and it is easier to navigate. With the kindle app.

Note that you do need to jump around in the book, but like I said, it is pretty easy with kindle.

I should add that I have the 5.00 version and there is no link able table of contents but you can scroll through a pane of 9 pp at a time and fairly easy to see. I used kindle and goodreader and it is easier to navigate. With the kindle app.

Note that you do need to jump around in the book, but like I said, it is pretty easy with kindle.

I was wondering about that...is it a pdf, or does it show up as a book? I find reading PDFs on the kindle to be taxing...I like to be able to change the font size, background, etc.

What is GSWS?

Getting Started With Spanish (by the same author who did Getting Started With Latin.

Elena

I was wondering about that...is it a pdf, or does it show up as a book? I find reading PDFs on the kindle to be taxing...I like to be able to change the font size, background, etc.

You can email a pdf to your kindle and get it converted to kindle format. That worked for the BFSU pdf for me (which had been unreadable before the change). Double check, but I think it was have the pdf as an attachment and either have the subject line or the first line of the email say "convert" and you email it to your kindle email address.

It should say how in the user guide.

You can email a pdf to your kindle and get it converted to kindle format. That worked for the BFSU pdf for me (which had been unreadable before the change). Double check, but I think it was have the pdf as an attachment and either have the subject line or the first line of the email say "convert" and you email it to your kindle email address.

I had no idea! So you mean it will show up in the 'books' section instead of the 'documents' and will open like a regular book?

But it still doesn't have a link able TOC, right?

But it still doesn't have a link able TOC, right?

That's correct. I also seem to have lost the diagrams but I have them in the pdf I have on my computer (although not printable... grr... but joining the yahoo group got me those files).

I had no idea! So you mean it will show up in the 'books' section instead of the 'documents' and will open like a regular book?

Yup. Nifty, huh? :D

I was thrilled when I found that because the pdf was too small to read on the kindle. I have the dictionary access and can adjust the size. I can also highlight, add notes, and have the share feature.

I figured I was going to get the kindle version and then maybe later get the print version, so $5 was much better than $10.

For BFSU, you do lose some of the images by converting the pdf though... I don't know if they are in the Kindle edition or not. But the "convert" feature is really nice.

Yup. Nifty, huh? :D

I was thrilled when I found that because the pdf was too small to read on the kindle. I have the dictionary access and can adjust the size. I can also highlight, add notes, and have the share feature.

This has made my night! (Yes, I lead an exciting life...)

:D Elena