Menu

Notebookers--how much do you keep forever??

Moxie

I've always been a scrapbooker (so I save lots of stuff) but in the past few years, I've been too busy to keep up. I was really inspired by this Becky Higgins video http://www.beckyhiggins.com/blog/2012/02/getting-organized-with-kids-stuff/ to get my kids stuff organized and in one spot. After spending the afternoon looking through all that I've kept, I'm stumped.

We have always done a notebook page for each book we've read, especially when the kids were little. Then there are all the SOTW coloring pages I kept. I really loved going back today and looking at them! Realistically though, I can't keep everything. If I scan our notebook pages and print them smaller, will I be able to throw the pages away?? If you are a notebooker, how much do you keep forever??

I don't keep workpages or spelling work. All creative work though is kept...art, poems, writings. Color pages will depend. The notebooks they create (science, history)have already been screened for wht is going into them so I keep everything in the specific notebook created (does that make sense?). I also keep lists of read alouds, books they read, and work memorized. I then make a cover page with a pic of the child and they sign it...it gets spiral bound and added to our library.

Some things I keep. Some things I take a photo of or scan and get rid of. It really depends on what it is. This way I can keep the memory and/or scrapbook it as well. We run a back up server so we keep pretty much everything we wish too.

I do Project Life, all the core kits by Becky Higgins. LOVE her products. I use it and also still do 12x12 pages.

Some things I keep. Some things I take a photo of or scan and get rid of. It really depends on what it is. This way I can keep the memory and/or scrapbook it as well. We run a back up server so we keep pretty much everything we wish too.

I do Project Life, all the core kits by Becky Higgins. LOVE her products. I use it and also still do 12x12 pages.

I've always been a Creative Memories scrapbooker but that is no longer working for me. I love the flexability of the 3-ring binder! I can do photo pocket pages or 12x12 layouts; I don't have to pick!! This is my first year doing PL and I've kept up which is really exciting. Did you watch the video she posted this week? It was so inspirational for me to see that even Becky Higgins, scrapbook superstar, has a child with nothing done on his baby book.

Sorry to gush! I'm totally nesting. I figure getting our memories in order makes more sense then scrubbing the kitchen cabinets!

I loved watching her video. Gave me some ideas. My boys are 1/2 way through first grade. I have all the digital photos in chronological order on the computer (with multiple back-ups), I have their professional pics either framed on the wall or in chronological order, and I have a calendar for each year full of all their firsts, etc. I also have too much CM stuff to use before I can move to something else, but I love the look of the PL stuff.

As for artwork, my boys went to MOM when they were 3 and private preschool when they were 4. Lots of art and school work. I have most of this scanned and backed-up. I am in the process of getting their age 5 and 6 artwork scanned. I am planning to make a digital photo book (shutterfly or something) of their special artwork that I've scanned. A few of the best pieces from each year I'm putting into 12x12 albums (I'd like to keep some of the originals). Nothing fancy...the the piece of art, the date it was done, and the title of the piece (if DS was so inclined to tell me). I plan to go through with each of my boys and decide on their couple of favs and will put those along with my couple of favs in the 12x12 album. I also like the idea of scanning and making smaller some of the artwork to include in their main scrapbooks.

As for school, I haven't done anything yet other than to keep everything in an orderly fashion. I plan to keep their science binders (lots of their writing, pics of expriments, fieldtrips and coloring), and plan to pull a few pages from their workbooks (a few from the beginning of the year, middle, and end of the year). I'd like to have spiral bound. Then I will likely recycle a lot, but I'm not ready yet. I will keep their creative writing notebooks too.

It is so hard...