Menu

"Just Write" program??

SunnyDays

My dd used it for one level last year. She liked it but I don't think she really gained much from it TBH. It focuses on creative writing; she is a natural creative writer anyway. We started WWE this year and this is addressing the skills that don't come as naturally to her; summarizing, dictation.....

That makes sense... it may be something we have to do alongside another program, perhaps just doing some units out of JW?? DS likes the idea of doing original writing but has trouble getting started so this is something I think would appeal to him....

Yes, it would work for that. There are story starters and story planning forms, character development etc. I can't really remember it all. :confused: You could easily do all the units along side something else as JW isn't like a full year program.

• 1 month later...

We used the JW program, mostly because my kids loved it. For first grade there are two books: Write About Me and Write About My World. Just Write 1 is for 2nd grade, Book 2 is for 3rd. It covers the basics of creative writing, planning a story, dialogue, organizing a paragraph, etc. Not too meaty, but makes writing fun. The first two are really just fun books for kids that aren't really ready for a formal writing program, getting them to describe pictures they draw, putting stories in sequence, etc. We started Book 3, which got a bit into other types of writing, but by then dd was doing other stuff and it was superfluous. Oh, another plus - it really is a grab and go workbook, not a bad thing!