Menu

Kitchen Aid mixer vs generic

When I become diagnosed with celiac I said I wanted a Kitchen Aid mixer because I'd be making pretty much everything from scratch at home. My mom told me I was ridiculous for thinking of spending that money on a name brand. She bought me a "Cook" brand mixer. She has one, and she says she likes it.

Some things to consider:

1. She does not ever bake.

2. She does not make gluten free dough

3. She does not make anything from scratch ever.

I have been using the mixer she got since Dec. I have to say that I think it stinks. Dh agrees. It does not mix anything properly. There is always always unmixed ingredients at the bottom of the bowl. I have to detach the bowl, and scrap and mix with a spatula to get everything off the bottom. Then I reattach and turn the mixer on again to finish mixing. Frankly, it's easier to just mix using my arm.

Dh asked me if the Kitchen Aid mixers do the same thing, or if they really are of better design and quality.

So, do the expensive Kitchen Aid mixers have the same problem, and my mom is right when she says the generic brand works just as well?

I can't imagine that being the case because I hear people rave about them.

There is a contingent of people who make a lot of bread who are crazy fans of the small Bosch (Compact). It's not heavy (so you can easily store it in a cupboard) as the Kitchen Aid and looks not particularly strong, but can mix up several loaves of bread in one go and is apparently more durable. I know some people find making whole wheat bread burns out their KA.

I don't have one, btw. I've just read about them.

They run $199 new (this is a dealer set price so everyone sells them for the identical price), and are sold at places like

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bosch_compact_mixers.aspx

but occasionally used ones pop up on ebay.

I have no idea what a Cook mixer is as I haven't heard of it before.

I have a KitchenAid that I purchased used for $100. I love it. It is a 325 watt model and I really like it and have purchased extra attachments and paddles for it.

Dawn

I borrowed my mom's Kitchen Aid a year ago. ;). She doesn't bake much at all and her kitchen has been under renovation for a while so she hasn't needed it back. I love it! It's wonderful and I use it all the time! If and when I must part with it my dh will be buying me my own at the next closest present giving holiday!

We are GF here too and I would not survive without my Kitchen Aid. I love it! It mixes wonderfully-even the sticky messy gluten free dough. It kneads my gluten free bread perfectly. I am so very thankful my hubby bought one for me-he's thankful too when I make him chocolate cake :001_smile: My generic brand was not cutting it and the upgrade has been worth it for us. We bake everything from scratch too. It was expensive up front but after I killed our other mixer and the hand mixer-it might end up being a cheaper option than replacing generic every year.

I had my mil's decent quality stand mixer before my kitchen aide. I had dinner with a woman who had "Just" a good quality hand mixer - and I remember looking at how her item turned out compared to how it turned out when I made the exact same thing with my kitchen aide.

big, HUGE, difference.

the other one out there that I do know people with kitchen aides expressing interest in is a Bosch.

eta: if you plan on alot of heavy dough's - get a higher wattage.

I have owned mine for over 20 years. Granted, I haven't used it every-single-day... usually just for mixing and kneading bread dough. I don't bother with it for cookie dough. I cook from scratch too, but haven't found it absolutely necessary for everyday cooking. I wouldn't recommend the grain-mill attachment, the motor will burn out if you use it regularly (grains), and I have heard this from numerous people.

I think if you want the KA and can afford it, you should get it.

HOWEVER...have you tried checking to see if there's an adjustment for beater/bowl clearance on your current mixer? Many mixers (even KAs) need adjustment in order to work properly. If you can find that, and make the necessary adjustments, then I'd use that one until it dies, then go for a new KA. :001_smile:

I own both a KA artisan (in apple green no less) and a Bosch universal.

They will both be much better than what you have. I love my KA for cake mixes, muffins, small batches of cookies, but not for bread. I use my bosch for bread and pizza dough.

:w00t:....then, :001_huh:...that's just not fair.

The generic ones are fine for folks (like my mom) who want to mix up cake batter for the occasional birthday cake. Though, frankly, batter is rather easy to stir by hand so I don't think I'd bother. Nice for things like whipped cream though.

If you are mixing heavy doughs for bread or baking lots of cookies, a KitchenAid (or Bosch) will make all the difference.

I made flourless chocolate cupcakes with mine this week. Yum.

I own both a KA artisan (in apple green no less) and a Bosch universal.

They will both be much better than what you have. I love my KA for cake mixes, muffins, small batches of cookies, but not for bread. I use my bosch for bread and pizza dough.

:iagree:

My daughters and my DILs all have KA. I have used them and I much prefer for Bosch for mixing bread dough. It does not hiccup with 16 cups of flour in it. I can mix up 3 pounds of burger into meatloaf. It's fantabulous.

However, my DIL cute Apple Green KA looks so much nicer sitting on her counter. :001_smile:

And they do work better for smaller things like cakes and such.

I'm definitely a Bosch fan, but mine isn't a compact model.

A friend owns a Bosch Universal (like mine) as well as a KA, and she says the Bosch is much better at bread than the KA. I have forgotten why she said that, but she said the difference was noticeable.

I have my inlaw's KA that they received as a wedding gift in 1966. It's still going strong. Granted, I don't use it for bread dough. I didn't grow up with a KA and I love it for cookies, cakes, brownies, etc.

It was originally green and my FIL painted it tan. If it ever dies, I'll probably get a medium to high end KA, but I'm not sure it's ever going to die.