Menu

Great food to cook on the weekend and

eat during the week

Please share what you like to cook on the weekend and enjoy during the week! I made a big pot of green beans for a dinner we were going to on Monday night. It didn't get touched, so we brought it home. I've loved having them to eat during this past week. I love green beans, call me weird!

I do things like this almost every weekend.

Some things I will do most weekends:

Cook several pounds of ground beef at a time. I divide them up into freezer containers. I may keep 2 lbs out or so for the next day, but I freeze the rest. At the same time that is going, I can hard boil a dozen eggs. We also will do things like toss two chickens into a large roasting pan and roast that. I usually surround the chickens with chopped up sweet potatoes, carrots, and other root veggies, so we have a built in side dish When they cool, we debone the meat. We will eat some for dinner and then freeze or refrigerate the rest. The bones get tossed into a pot and I start some stock. I can do something like the eggs, the chickens, and the beef at the same time more or less, kwim? Sometimes I even have the crockpot going during that time ;)

I also regularly do things like roast 2 big trays of broccoli in the oven, or several sweet potatoes, or a pile of root veggies and we eat that for 2-3 days.

While things are cooking I will also chop or prep raw veggies, rinse and spin lettuce, etc. for the week.

WIth about 2 hours of work we end up with several meals or big starts to meals.

eta: one other thing I do a lot on a Sunday is make a big quiche, strata, or other breakfast casserole. It takes time to make, but then we have a breakfast we can just heat up for the next 1-3 days. If we make pancakes or waffles for the kids, we make extra and the kids reheat them in the toaster during the school week.

Are you looking for meals to cook and freeze? A few weeks ago, I made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce, red beans (will add rice later), jambalaya, meatloaf, chicken fajitas, homemade sloppy joes, taco meat, homemade baked beans, and refried beans. I divided everything into meal sizes, then some individual portions for lunches. It's been so nice to just grab from the freezer and reheat. I also like to make granola bars, banana bread, and various muffins for to freeze for snacks.

I cook up WW elbows and spinach noodles or tri color spiral noodles, some brown rice, a bean soup (like lentil and carrot), a veggie stew or stirfry, a pasta sauce (which can be added into other things on Thursday evening for a soup on Friday), prewash some carrot and celery, hard boil a couple eggs, cut cucks into spears, wash and dry whole romaine leaves, and bake WW bread on the weekends. I might make a casserole as a change of pace, or put in a pan of bread pudding. I might preslice some polenta and spruce up some marinara to go over it. I might steam a cauliflower and stash in the fridge.Ditto some boiled taters.

The rest is stocking dairy, fruit, lemons, etc. as well as freezing a batch of waffles, if I'm low.

Could you share your mole recipe?

This mole is a quicky, easy version that I make often and like to have handy all the time (it even fixes things like potato salad and cucumber tea sandwiches :tongue_smilie:). It only has a few ingredients and no chocolate.

Cutting and pasting from an old thread:

I use my 6" iron skillet

-heat up generous amount of oil and a nice fat piece of garlic (I leave it in the skin)

-when the garlic is dark and juicy, (toss skin) lower the heat as much as possible

-throw in chiles (remove stems if any), cook until darkened but not charred

-pour everything in the blender along with 1 8oz can of tomato sauce and a good amount of salt (I put a little mound in the center of my hand)

I seem to have lost my molcajete in my last move, really this is the best way to blend it. The texture and flavor are more satisfying.

http://carolynncarreno.files.wordpre...tar-pestle.jpg

I use any of the following dry chiles:

Japanese Red (start with 12 chiles)

arbol (start with 12 chiles)

piquin (whole bag if it's a small one)

and another whose name I can't remember, it's similar to piquin, one is round, one is more tapered (whole bag)

Don't skimp on oil and salt, increase or decrease chile as you like it.

*Let me know if you like it. If you make one too, I'd love to hear the recipe. I'm in a bit of a cooking slump.