Menu

BJU....a leased program (DVDs)?

I didn't even realize this was the case. I've been looking for an independent type Spanish I class for my high schooler and was considering doing BJU online at a cost of $399 or the DVD program for $319 (w/o the books).

What? I don't own the DVDs? I have to return them after 13 months?:001_huh:

How come no one ever told me?

I can't find any Spanish class under $400 so I thought I was getting a deal! Now I really need to rethink my options.

I didn't even realize this was the case. I've been looking for an independent type Spanish I class for my high schooler and was considering doing BJU online at a cost of $399 or the DVD program for $319 (w/o the books).

What? I don't own the DVDs? I have to return them after 13 months?:001_huh:

How come no one ever told me?

I can't find any Spanish class under $400 so I thought I was getting a deal! Now I really need to rethink my options.

No...you don't own the DVDs. Yes...you have to return them. :glare: (Crazy $$, isn't it??)

There really is a lot of "fine print" to the DVD/Streaming/Hard Drive options -- whether it be A Beka or BJU. It was a real "turn off" for me....

We went with Rosetta Stone...

We are using BJU Spanish 1 this year, and it is a great fit for us. We are really enjoying Sr. Cancino as the teacher in Spanish 1. I am doing the class with my children and am learning an amazing amount! We plan to work through BJU Spanish 1 through 3 over the next few years.

We tried Rosetta Stone in the past, but none of the three kids liked the picture association approach and really prefer the BJU teacher approach much better. The DVDs contain a lot of teaching and practice, and I cannot imagine doing the textbook alone without them.

They are worth the money IMO. If your family is only taking it to gain credits and not real fluency in the language, I might look for a cheaper program, too. It seems all foreign language programs are pricey, though.

Maybe you could have more than one kid work through them together? They are rated for 8-12 grades, and my 8th grader is doing fine with them.

• 4 weeks later...

I am posting on yours while you are posting on mine....seems we have similar issues.....

I am going to try the BJU Geometry with just books next year....we are going to try to use the Khan Academy free videos to help "teach" or "show" the examples we need that aren't understood.

I know there are other programs out there but my ds doesn't like to be on the computer for classes. He likes to take a book and run with it....

Not sure what you think of this option but thought I would drop it out there for you!

Thanks BPurple. I'm gravitating toward during SAXON I with the Keys to Geometry together (as a intro to Geometry & a review of Algebra). Then maybe go into Saxon II. I will also use Khan Academy for any areas we are having trouble with.

I am going to bite the bullet and buy the DVD program for the Spanish. I just can't do both BJU Spanish & Geometry!

I am planning to do the BJU Spanish I online program with my son next year. It is $349 for the instruction and the required books.

This price kind of bothered me until I really started to think about it. The price of the required books...purchased new...is $106. So the actual price of the instruction is $243 (in my case).

Now...the teacher will teach my son for 5 days a week for 45 minutes a day for 172 days. That adds up to about 129 HOURS of instruction. So I am actually only paying $1.88 per hour! If I were to hire a local Spanish tutor, I would pay at least $20 or $25 an hour...maybe more. So the cost of 129 hours of said tutor would be well over $2500 (and I obviously wouldn't get to keep the tutor after shelling out that money!! LOL!).

I do understand that a one-on-one tutor will be able to do a LOT more with my son than the recorded teacher from BJU. So I'm not really comparing apples to apples. However, I am convinced that my son will get a decent, thorough Spanish I course for a really, really good price (if you look at it this way).

Just my 2 cents...pun intended.

ETA: I used a BJU online English 4 course with my younger son last year. It only provided 15 minutes of daily instruction for the same price as the Spanish! But I tell you...that teacher was fantastic. She was able to get my son over a hump that I was just not able to do. It was worth every single penny!! I would not want to do a full BJU dvd curriculum, but every once in a while, they sure can help in a time of need. And in our case, Spanish is a need.

Edited by MorningGlory
more info

I refused to pay the dvd price, but then bought lots of other programs, only to come back to BJU (for math). Can we say ouch to $$. My kids did very well with the daily instruction, no other program came close. There is no way I would have been able to do the geometry without the dvds. You will figure it out, but will be unable to teach it to your kids. We have had the course before, so it is refresher. With the kids, it is breaking new ground, and a good math teacher knows how to do it.

I have a friend that tried various foreign language programs, and said BJU was the only option that worked.

I am posting on yours while you are posting on mine....seems we have similar issues.....

I am going to try the BJU Geometry with just books next year....we are going to try to use the Khan Academy free videos to help "teach" or "show" the examples we need that aren't understood.

I know there are other programs out there but my ds doesn't like to be on the computer for classes. He likes to take a book and run with it....

Not sure what you think of this option but thought I would drop it out there for you!

I have used the BJU Geometry without the dvd's. It went just fine! I do use the dvd's with the Spanish. I don't think I could have done it without it nearly so well.