Menu

Need advice for quick ACT prep

Hi all,

My dd has been working on SAT prep for the last several weeks. We are finding weak areas in her vocabulary and math and are considering the ACT. It is only offered in our area on April 14. She is a junior this year. I would like her to try the test to see how she does. I think a straightforward test would suit her better. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for a "crash" prep course. I found the YouTube videos for the science portion of the ACT but am looking for some math ideas. I think she will be fine on the English portion as she has excellent writing and grammar skills.

Thanks

The newest version (the one mentioned by Kalmia above) of the ACT prep guide has five tests.

I would have her do the first one cold and see how she does. Timed, straight through, everything as "test-like" as you can make it at home. I would then take the next test and just have her do one section at a time. Still timed, but only one section. I would use the next two tests having her do two sections at a time. This builds stamina. I would save the last test for the Saturday before the actual test. Use it as you did the first one. Timed, etc.

For each test she needs to review what she missed making sure that she thoroughly understands what she missed and why.

Even though you are not worried about English, I would still do the prep. A great way to boost that sub-score and her overall composite. I wouldn't overdo it. I mean, if you see she is doing really well on English and needs more focus on another area, then, yes, shift your emphasis. No matter how comfortable she is in her grammar she needs to do some practicing if for no other reason than to get the pacing down.

Good luck!

The Real ACT book does have old real tests, but it doesn't really offer anything in terms of strategy or concept learning. Middle son suggests McGraw Hill if you want math knowledge and Barrons if you want strategy. They go well with real tests as McGraw Hill's are on the "easy" side (a bad thing). Barrons are on the more difficult side (something my guys have preferred as it makes the real test seem easy).

Thanks for the helpful advice. Yesterday we took a timed practice ACT test I had downloaded from the ACT website. She scored a composite of 23 taking it cold. Her English scored was very high (as I expected) but math needs some work. I was pleasantly surprised by the science score as it was better than I expected. We will be watching the YouTube videos for science prep and I ordered both the McGraw Hill for math knowledge and Barrons prep books. Luckily we found a test center not too far from our home that offers a test on June 9. Works out much better!

Luckily we found a test center not too far from our home that offers a test on June 9.

Can I ask where this is? I might have my youngest do a June 9th test for a baseline. April and Oct are the only options I know of around here where my guys usually take the test. I'd love a June option if it's anywhere near reasonably close.

Can I ask where this is? I might have my youngest do a June 9th test for a baseline. April and Oct are the only options I know of around here where my guys usually take the test. I'd love a June option if it's anywhere near reasonably close.

My dd is taking the test at Penn Manor high school in Millersville. If you live where I think it might be an hour's drive to the school.

My dd is taking the test at Penn Manor high school in Millersville. If you live where I think it might be an hour's drive to the school.

That probably is an hour away - perhaps a little more. Maybe I should get on the ACT site and search to see if anything has changed from last year. I keep trying to get my school to offer the ACT, but with budget cuts and "tradition," I realistically have no shot at it. Most of our students don't know the ACT exists. Last year a whopping 15 took the test - all at the nearby Catholic school (April or Oct).