Menu

Stress coping help?

I deal with chronic stress and the circumstances will never change so what I do is grab snippets of things where I can. I take a hot bath, watch youtube videos of silly cats etc, I dig out time for my hobbies even if it is only 5 minutes, it 5 minutes of more completed on it than before and it makes me feel good. I crank up the music and sing and dance to it. 80s hair band music is awesome for this. I go for a walk with or without children. I volunteer because giving to others makes me feel good. It brings it's own stress but it is a good kind of stress and helps me feel like it is counteracting the bad stress.

I eat comfort foods, which is not ideal for my goals of weight loss, but at this point in my life, the weight loss is secondary to me keeping my sanity. I get online to these boards when I feel like things are spinning out of control too fast for me to cope and that helps ground me again very quickly without even needing to post the details. You just have to be careful if you are the type of person who is typically snippy or sarcastic, in those moods it is harder to keep that in check and you can sometimes end up offending someone.

Oh and I shop. Like the comfort foods, it is not the healthiest form of self therapy, but a few years ago I made a joke about it that it was either shop or drink. I decided shopping was best :p Actually the internet makes this good because I can "windows" shop and not actually spend. I can fill up dozens of carts and never spend a cent and still get the "therapy" of shopping.