Menu

That time of year - second guessing - share with me please.

We are more than halfway through our first year of high school, having homeschooled from the beginning. Our dd is in 9th grade and chose to stay home after shadowing at several nearby schools last winter. Her grades are great, her attitude is great, overall I am very happy with how this year has gone. What's the issue???

Last night/this morning, I woke up at 2am - I don't do my most rational thinking in the middle of the night. Second-guessing our decision to go all the way through high school at home, apprehension whether or not we are doing the right thing, and worry about whether she'll be street smart enough to survive college - all crept into my brain. I stewed and fretted. Then I decided that, in the morning, I would ask the hive to share some of their experiences.

Let me hear it. :bigear:

Thank you!!!

My ds was homeschooled through 12th grade. He is graduating college this spring, scholarships paid most of it. He had to keep a B average to keep the scholarships, and he did. A few minor things..... he forgot to write his name on his homework in math, he misunderstood his teacher's instructions on a few occasions (who doesn't do that), and he took classes that were too hard because, after all, you can do anything you set your mind to, right? His advisor said it is a common problem with homeschoolers to have them take classes that are too hard (but I will point out that he placed into calculus with the placement test...), ds failed calculus 2 and had to take two summer school classes to clean up the mess (he isn't a math/science type so he changed his major as well). So, if you are laying awake when you pick college classes for your dd, then maybe listen to that. :)

I am about to graduate dd this spring, homeschooled her all the way through as well. She is starting college in the fall.

Homeschool as long as both of you want to!

Now don't be doing that... It is never good to make any decisions about homeschooling during February... and even worse to do so in the middle of the night!

I'd suggest sitting down with your daughter and making a list of pros and cons. If you've got stuff that is worrying you get it out there and see if there is a way to deal with it. If you are concerned she needs more experiences what about community college or volunteering?

Now don't be doing that... It is never good to make any decisions about homeschooling during February... and even worse to do so in the middle of the night!

:iagree: In the middle of the night in February is never wise!! Reevaluate this after 9th grade, in the summer.

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Second-guessing our decision to go all the way through high school at home, apprehension whether or not we are doing the right thing, and worry about whether she'll be street smart enough to survive college - all crept into my brain. I stewed and fretted. Then I decided that, in the morning, I would ask the hive to share some of their experiences.

Let me hear it. :bigear:

Thank you!!!

I agree with what the others have said. My only additional suggestion would be to plan to have your dd take a course or two per semester at a local CC or university as a homeschooled junior or senior. This way, she can adjust to the demands of the classroom more slowly. She'll also be at home with you, so if there are any issues, you can help her work through them. This is also a good way to get some recommendation letter for college from an "outside" teacher.

My son, who is currently a college junior, is really happy that he took a few CC courses his senior year of high school at home. Doing this gave him more confidence when he went away to college.

Brenda

:iagree: What was I thinking!! :tongue_smilie: I don't have any regrets for homeschooling this far, so I don't know what's stirring my pot right now.? We're going to 'keep on keeping on'. Full steam ahead. :D

Thank you!!

Don't get me started on waking up at night and being unable to fall asleep because I feel like a failure and imposter - after all, what do I know about homeschooling high school? Nothing.

We can't possibly be doing enough. And we are probably messing up somewhere. And DD won't get in where she wants to go. And should we do more standardized tests? But what if we do not get chemistry done well enough before the SAT2 date? Should we consider canceling? Should we double time spent on chem which both she and I hate? Should we focus more on other subjects?

And dual enrollment... this semester is going OK, but what about fall? Will she be ready for what she wants? Will it be too hard? What if?

repeat ad nauseam for two hours.

Get up and mess with facebook (but stay away from homeschool boards)

read mindless book

go back to bed and try again.

rinse and repeat.

Gosh, I'm tired.

I got hit with "surprise high school" this year. I thought I had a few more years before DD10 got there. DD18 had gone to public school all the way thru, but decided she wanted to homeschool her senior year so she could concentrate on her music.

DD18 has done some rigorous classes this year - I had to scramble to keep up with her! But you know what? It's really been fun so far! Discussing American Lit and U.S. Government. Laughing about some of the examples in her criminology book. Helping her register to vote for the first time.

Even when she drives me crazy (we are too much alike), I have to say that I have enjoyed this year more than any so far. And it's paid off - her grades are up and she is headed off to college with scholarships in hand.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!

Don't get me started on waking up at night and being unable to fall asleep because I feel like a failure and imposter - after all, what do I know about homeschooling high school? Nothing.

We can't possibly be doing enough. And we are probably messing up somewhere. And DD won't get in where she wants to go. And should we do more standardized tests? But what if we do not get chemistry done well enough before the SAT2 date? Should we consider canceling? Should we double time spent on chem which both she and I hate? Should we focus more on other subjects?

And dual enrollment... this semester is going OK, but what about fall? Will she be ready for what she wants? Will it be too hard? What if?

repeat ad nauseam for two hours.

Get up and mess with facebook (but stay away from homeschool boards)

read mindless book

go back to bed and try again.

rinse and repeat.

Gosh, I'm tired.

:D. Loved this!!

Our new children's librarian was homeschooled from K through high school. She went on to get her master's in education and taught middle school for a few years. She beat out 80 applicants for the position. Our library tends to hire older people; 18 of the 20 on staff are over 45. She's 28. She knocked the socks off of everyone through two grueling interview sessions with half a dozen interviewers including a county commissioner, library director, two HR people, and a library board member. It's been a great encouragement to our hsing community. :001_smile:

I wish this board had a "like" button -- there are several posts on this thread (especially Regentrude's and Barbara H's) that I would "like."

Or an "agree" button. Well we do have

:iagree:

There is much sage advice here. To what has been posted I add: February is notorious among seasoned H'sers. It's the 'hump' month, the month of doldrums, the month of the what-was-I-thinking-we-have-so-much-work-to-do-how-are-we-ever-going-to-finish-she-won't-be-prepared-for-life/college/the world-I-really-need-a-break-are-the-kids-really-learning thoughts whirling, swirling, flying around in your mind.

Take a day off.

Go to a museum.

Schedule a Parent-Teacher conference day. icon12.gif

Review your goals and your accomplishments thus far.

Breath deep.

This, too, shall pass.

I've BTDT.

I'm in mid-career now, having taught two (one son, one daughter) through high school and sent them both off to a college located over 2000 miles from home. They were very different people in terms of personality and street-smarts, but both did well there.

Your concerns are not unusual for the mother of a daughter. IMHO, daughters are really easier, at least in my experience. My dd was not a street smart person naturally, but she succeeded at managing the logistics of traveling to and from two of the largest airports and handling a demanding college curriculum. In the process she made some wonderful friends and grew in wisdom re: the world and those in it.

Yes, there will be challenges, but if you truly believe in what you are doing you can succeed. I know that because I survived educating my oldest, which was one of the great (perhaps the greatest) challenges of my life thus far.

My oldest (now nearly 26) was such a difficult child. Oh, the curve-balls he threw my way! Where do I begin? Here's just one example of what life was like homeschooling him through high school: One day as I was talking on the phone by the living room window, I saw an object fall from above and land in the snow in front of the window. It was his Wheelock's Latin book. (Too bad for him, it was a very cold day when the snow was dry; the book was unharmed. :D) That's just one small incident. He and I were often at loggerheads. Those thoughts of bailing out and enrolling him in the local PS were frequently in my mind for four years. But we had tried a brick-and-mortar school for him in 7th and 8th grades. He didn't learn much there (it was and still is a very highly rated school) and his attitude worsened. When we brought him home, I knew it was for the long haul.

I can be stubborn (my German ancestry), and I refused to let him defeat me. We made it. He graduated. He went to college. And when he came home for Christmas break his sophomore year, during a long late-night conversation, he thanked me. His gratitude was sincere and unsought.

Yes, you can do it.

And it is worth it.

:)

I just went to a panel discussion on homeschooling high school and college prep. There were both parents and college grads there. Achievement wise they had excelled and were employed. They said outside classes were good. Also important were using those classes to do things that would not be done at home, horizon broadening.

The most important thing they said to remember is that THERE WILL BE GAPS!!!

That is easy for them to say but I am trying really hard not to worry about it in the middle of the night. Sometimes it feels like I have mainly gaps. I know it isn't true but I still worry...

Everyone goes through this. The key is that you're doing something about it, keeping the line and going forward.

I teach at the community college, and always say that teaching there keeps me homeschooling. Oh my. Don't get me started. At the very least, I know that mine will do fine there. They write better than 90% of my students, and aren't even old enough to do dual enrollment. And mine get their work done, which is another issue. Over half of my current section is failing because they don't turn in assignments.

Yup. Doing OK.

We are one of very few families in our area who have committed to homeschooling through high school. Seeing friends of ours, who have been on this journey with us since the beginning, decide to send their high schoolers to school has left me feeling a bit isolated. Thank goodness there are plenty of classes, co-ops, and activities to participate in within a reasonable drive.

Thank you for the messages on this thread - I know this board will walk with me during the next 6 years that we are in highschool mode. ;)