Menu

Fake Rosetta Stone....be careful when buying

BatmansWife

I just saw this on the Today Show this morning. It's about more than just Rosetta Stone, but Rosetta Stone was the main one they talked about. I would think that most homeschoolers wanting Rosetta Stone would order from Rainbow Resource or CBD or some homeschool website like that. But, if you think you can find a good deal on eBay or even Amazon....be careful.

:iagree: I got snookered...it's a sore subject with me, but I am here to tell you fom experience. Only buy from RS or a trusted source that deals with them directly. You cannot find it for a great deal. The best you can do is HSBC at the discount they have brokered with RS. If someone is offering RS for an amazing price, it is a pirated copy and you will only have access to the first five, lessons. There will be no license key with it if it does not come from RS. :leaving:

:iagree: I got snookered...it's a sore subject with me, but I am here to tell you fom experience. Only buy from RS or a trusted source that deals with them directly. You cannot find it for a great deal. The best you can do is HSBC at the discount they have brokered with RS. If someone is offering RS for an amazing price, it is a pirated copy and you will only have access to the first five, lessons. There will be no license key with it if it does not come from RS. :leaving:

Oh no! I'm sorry you got a counterfeit one. What a shame. I hope you were able to get your money back....but that often doesn't happen. Thank you for help in warning others about it.

That's too bad. I hope you didn't lose too much money. :001_huh:

How shameful. We have RS and I thought about selling ours because we never use it. I bought it through RS themselves. Now I'd be scared to!

As long as you got it right from RS, then it's real (otherwise, you might not know since you never use it). I would think if you mention in your ad that your bought it new directly from RS you shouldn't have a problem selling. And, probably most people won't even know about the fake ones out there.

That's too bad. I hope you didn't lose too much money. :001_huh:

In the video I linked, the family that got the fake RS off of eBay filed a claim with eBay and they got their money back from eBay. But, they said that people who are buying them from websites that are on Google can report it to Google...but they probably won't get any money back at all. I bet these people are still paying a lot even if it's a good deal. So, it's a real shame. Strange how these counterfeiters actually send the fake RS out. The package and disc look real. You'd think they'd take your money and that would be it. But, they actually mail you the fake. My dh bought a Pimsleur on eBay once. I think if I were looking for Rosetta Stone I might have looked on eBay.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can't sell it either. The licensing agreement you get with the software allows for you to use it only and not to sell it. Someone buying it would have to activate it and won't be able to :( I know a few people who've gotten burned. We debated getting it for DS but couldn't get over those factors so we are getting ready to use homeschoolspanishacademy.com instead.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can't sell it either. The licensing agreement you get with the software allows for you to use it only and not to sell it. Someone buying it would have to activate it and won't be able to :( I know a few people who've gotten burned. We debated getting it for DS but couldn't get over those factors so we are getting ready to use homeschoolspanishacademy.com instead.

Really?? Wow....I had no idea you weren't allowed to resell it. So, if you're looking to buy it....you can't even consider a used one then. That stinks!! I hadn't heard of homeschoolspanishacademy.com. I'll check that out. Thanks!

we are getting ready to use homeschoolspanishacademy.com instead.

OK...I just went to their website and was looking at their FAQ's. To find out how much it costs you have to e-mail them, which I don't really want to do. Maybe you can tell me, what does this cost? You'll be using this with a 5 year old?

Really?? Wow....I had no idea you weren't allowed to resell it. So, if you're looking to buy it....you can't even consider a used one then. That stinks!! I hadn't heard of homeschoolspanishacademy.com. I'll check that out. Thanks!

I did not know that. I would not have bought it had I known. It's $500 rotting in my cabinet right now!

Oh no! I'm sorry you got a conterfeit one. What a shame. I hope you were able to get your money back....but that often doesn't happen. Thank you for help in warning others about it.

:tongue_smilie: Thanks, but yes unfortunately I lost a couple of hundred dollars. We tried to pursue it through the credit card company, but because you receive an actual product (VERY QUICKLY...from China! Believe me, they make no mention that the product is shipping from the People's Republic of Piracy until you get the notice that it's on its way!) the credit card company won't reimburse you. This is a real case of caveat emptor. We did change our credit card number immediately to prevent any misuse of it by obviously dishonest people.

The website was exactly as they said in the report--I googled RS and it was the first website on the top of the list, touting "Real RS, great price" and it looked TOTALLY official. When we got the box everything looked official, right down to the head set they send you, along with all the extra audio practice cds. What they don't send you is the key that goes with the software to give you the license to use it, so the software is completely shut down after the first five lessons.

Live and Learn. I was really crushed that I had wasted that money. My hubby was really sweet about it.

OK...I just went to their website and was looking at their FAQ's. To find out how much it costs you have to e-mail them, which I don't really want to do. Maybe you can tell me, what does this cost? You'll be using this with a 5 year old?

Here are their prices. To get there from the main page, click programs and then elementary.

http://www.homeschoolspanishacademy.com/early-language

:tongue_smilie: Thanks, but yes unfortunately I lost a couple of hundred dollars. We tried to pursue it through the credit card company, but because you receive an actual product (VERY QUICKLY...from China! Believe me, they make no mention that the product is shipping from the People's Republic of Piracy until you get the notice that it's on its way!) the credit card company won't reimburse you. This is a real case of caveat emptor. We did change our credit card number immediately to prevent any misuse of it by obviously dishonest people.

The website was exactly as they said in the report--I googled RS and it was the first website on the top of the list, touting "Real RS, great price" and it looked TOTALLY official. When we got the box everything looked official, right down to the head set they send you, along with all the extra audio practice cds. What they don't send you is the key that goes with the software to give you the license to use it, so the software is completely shut down after the first five lessons.

Live and Learn. I was really crushed that I had wasted that money. My hubby was really sweet about it.

Oh my! This is just terrible! I'm so sorry you got scammed. Unbelievable what some people do. :glare: I wonder if the website is still up on Google or if there's a way to report them? I'm glad your dh was so understanding.

Thanks for the PSA, AprilMay.

Out of curiosity, I just searched eBay - unfortunately, there are still listings out there which don't seem authentic.

Since Rosetta Stone may not be resold, this is a moot point but the following sites gave a couple of good tips in general for suspicious activity, by checking for 'fake feedback' (positive feedback given to a seller to lure buyers).

http://danieldschell.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/back-to-ebay-where-i-wont-give-up/

1. Check the feedback time: feedback should be given after a reasonable time has elapsed since the auction ended (in the above case, he saw feedback 3 minutes after an auction ended)

2. Check the buyers who leave feedback, for patterns: in his case, he saw a buyer who only purchased $0.99 items.

:tongue_smilie: Thanks, but yes unfortunately I lost a couple of hundred dollars. We tried to pursue it through the credit card company, but because you receive an actual product (VERY QUICKLY...from China!

I'm sorry about your experience - I wanted to say that it can be hard for the people living in China to detect the true vs fake product too. My sister, living in Shanghai, bought me RS and she was convinced it was authentic - it was expensive, but less expensive than buying it in the US. She attributed the price difference to price adjustments for the local market.

The DVDs looked good, and then I inserted it into my computer. The first sign of trouble was when the installation instructions suggested mounting some .iso files (DVD images) and running a program to stitch them together.

Also, the instructions cryptically said, "By following these steps, you will not need to enter an activation code per use."... really fishy. :glare:

To top it off, my anti-virus program kicked off a warning when scanning the files on the DVD. That's when I gave it up for lost, ran a full virus scan on my computer and backed up to an earlier Windows Recovery Image just in case. I never had the heart to tell her that she had been misled. But from its outside appearances, I could see why she thought it was authentic. That experience just reinforced my belief that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Edited by leeyeewah

Thanks for the PSA, AprilMay.

Out of curiosity, I just searched eBay - unfortunately, there are still listings out there which don't seem authentic.

Since Rosetta Stone may not be resold, this is a moot point but the following sites gave a couple of good tips in general for suspicious activity, by checking for 'fake feedback' (positive feedback given to a seller to lure buyers).

http://danieldschell.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/back-to-ebay-where-i-wont-give-up/

1. Check the feedback time: feedback should be given after a reasonable time has elapsed since the auction ended (in the above case, he saw feedback 3 minutes after an auction ended)

2. Check the buyers who leave feedback, for patterns: in his case, he saw a buyer who only purchased $0.99 items.

Wow. I read what you linked and then his other page too. That scammer keeps changing his name and this guy (who bought the fake RS) reports him several times a day. He said the scammer has changed eBay ID's over 20 times. What does he do all day.....sit at his computer making up new ID's and fake feedback (how does one even do fake feedback?? :confused: ). Unreal that eBay can't keep him out. And, he's not the only RS scammer on eBay. And...it's not really a moot point, because if a person knows they can't buy a used one....then they'll be looking for a deal on a new one. And that's what these scammers are selling (or not selling). Hopefully we'll all remember that it's not just RS either....the Today Show showed other computer products (but I don't remember what they were....I'll have to watch the video on my link again).

I'm sorry about your experience - I wanted to say that it can be hard for the people living in China to detect the true vs fake product too. My sister, living in Shanghai, bought me RS and she was convinced it was authentic - it was expensive, but less expensive than buying it in the US. She attributed the price difference to price adjustments for the local market.

The DVDs looked good, and then I inserted it into my computer. The first sign of trouble was when the installation instructions suggested mounting some .iso files (DVD images) and running a program to stitch them together.

Also, the instructions cryptically said, "By following these steps, you will not need to enter an activation code per use."... really fishy. :glare:

To top it off, my anti-virus program kicked off a warning when scanning the files on the DVD. That's when I gave it up for lost, ran a full virus scan on my computer and backed up to an earlier Windows Recovery Image just in case. I never had the heart to tell her that she had been misled. But from its outside appearances, I could see why she thought it was authentic. That experience just reinforced my belief that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Sounds very similar to what happened to the people who were on the Today Show. What a shame. I'm glad you weren't out any money (or maybe you gave your sister the money and you are out); but what a hassle with the computer. Too bad your sister got scammed like that trying to do something nice for you. I wouldn't have told her either. But then again.....what to say when she asks, "So how is that Rosetta Stone going?" :blink:

Don't know if I should say, "thanks for that awesome resource!". Or, if I should :banghead: because I discovered another way to spend money.

I'm thinking the same thing. :D

• 1 month later...
Nope, you are not. I don't think this is unusual for software licenses though. They sell you the license (right to use it), not the physical item.

Actually this has gone to court for software specifically and no matter what a company tells you legally you have the right to resell. It's First-sale doctrine pretty soon we'll be seeing a suit against Amazon or another site for the ebooks.

As the law stands now you have a right to resell ,you can not copy but you can resell.

Actually this has gone to court for software specifically and no matter what a company tells you legally you have the right to resell. It's First-sale doctrine pretty soon we'll be seeing a suit against Amazon or another site for the ebooks.

As the law stands now you have a right to resell ,you can not copy but you can resell.

I agree. I found an (older) article that talks about that.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2008/05/court-smacks-autodesk-affirms-right-to-sell-used-software.ars

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI, if you follow Rosetta Stone on FB they offer 50% off specials which really make it a very reasonably priced programme for what you get. We purchased, directly from RS during their sale, French Levels 1-5 & had it shipped overseas to us. It came directly from RS at half their normal price so don't go looking for great bargains, just wait for the sales! 

Many public libraries have Mango languages on their website for free access. Mango is a fine alternative to RS. They were just starting up when RS cut its contracting with libraries and Mango filled that gap.

They are an online subscription service only, no disc, but I have no idea how much because my library offers it for free. My dh has spoken to the Mango guys a few times at conferences and he made a point of telling them that homeschoolers are a potential market for their product. When I go to their site, I notice they specifically use the word Homeschooler, lol. I wonder if it was DH's conversations with them?

http://www.mangolanguages.com/

But check your local public library first, because a lot of libraries have it. If they don't you could mention it to the library.

I feel dumb now...Thanks for the warning though!   I bought a used copy of RS Spanish on ebay and thought that there was something wrong with my pc... I realize now that it only went to the first 5 lessons and dc accidentally broke the headphones... so I bought a new set.... It made me keep re-installing the program too :( I finally gave up... Chatting and emailing RS did not help at all either.

I finally ordered the Learnables on here and it is on the way.