Menu

anyone school purely secular?

What do you find to use long term for history, Latin, science, etc. outside of public school texts? I think this is a real hole in the homeschool market in general. Just observing.

What does "purely secular" mean? If it means homeschooling without the smallest mention of religion, I'd be surprised if you found anyone. If you mean people who don't use materials which mention religion except in history and religious studies, there are plenty of us.

Rosie

History

Pandia Press' History Odyssey

Creek Edge Press Task Cards

Science

Noeo (still in development for level 3)

Intellego unit studies

Latin

Latin's Not So Tough!

Rosetta Stone

Learnables

Critical Thinking Co's Latin and Greek Word Roots

Cross-subject: Moving Beyond The Page lit, science, social studies

There's still a hole in in the market but it's slowly being filled. Upper high school is going to be the hardest but may be the easiest. We can use the community college once a kid is 16.

Yes, however not all the resources I use are secular. What I mean is that it is possible to teach from a secular point of view using books, etc. which present a different view. It can be merely pointing out that others have different views to sometimes skipping a section. I could teach using only secular materials, but I have found some things that really work for us which are not. For instance, CLE math has been the best math program for ds. There are occasional religious references, but not much. We also like some of the materials from Christian Liberty Press. Otoh, I have encountered some books in which the perspective is so overt and integral to the meaning of book that it doesn't work for us.

I am sure there is a need for more good secular hs items, but I think there is already plenty out there.

this is what we are currently using and will probably continue much of it:

History: SOTW and Kingfisher Encyclopedia

Science: Science Simplified, Happy Scientist, picture books, Inquiry---I am considering Real Science Odyssey

Language Arts: Intermediate Language Lessons

I have also found a lack of secular materials I actually like.

First we don't do Latin, tried it, hated it.

Science, at least for now is done through Co-ops.

History we are using Connect the Thoughts curriculum. We may go with CTT for science until H.S. also. I haven't decided.

I also like some vintage books by Tappan I got from google books.

I actually think there are loads of secular materials available, especially compared to what was out there when I first started homeschooling!

In addition to the things that have already been mentioned, I'd add K12 and Oak Meadow, both of which I've used for history and science (and English) in various grades. There are a lot of good books for science and history that aren't texts, like Hazen and Trefil's "Science Matters" and Tindall's "America: A Narrative History."

For Latin, we've used Minimus, Oxford Latin, and Wheelock's. Galore Park has secular materials for history, science and Latin also.

I'm sure I could think of more, but I haven't had my coffee yet. :D

We are secular afterschoolers, to be homeschoolers come September. We have bought and started to use Glencoe world history and geography materials, which we find to be excellent, though I guess they're used in public schools. Science, we haven't started anything rigorous yet, but have bought BFSU and plan to use that, at least at first. We have no plans to do Latin (although I'm not ruling it out for the future, and think it is a fine language to learn), but instead are teaching Spanish.

IIRC Noeo is not secular.

We are secular.

We use SOTW +AG for history, with lots of supplements. When anything comes up that is questionable - I honestly can't think of an example right now - we discuss. But we have to do a lot of discussing religion/myth in our every day life because there are many religious people in our family (our family runs the gamut - from Orthodox Jew to Roman Catholic - lots of room for discussion!). I can tell, listening in on playground conversations, that this is all sinking in, in a good way.

Science - we use R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey - right now we are doing Chemistry, last year we did Life. We supplement with plenty of books, educational DVDs and field trips to museums. Symphony of Science is a big treat here. We are also reading Story of Science by Joy Hakim, as a family.

Latin - we have not yet started, but I did find a secular Latin that looks good. It was recommended by someone here, but I cannot think of the title now. I can check my Amazon wish list for you though! :) I suspect someone will come along and mention it soon anyway

I teach purely secular. We use STOW & AG as well. We supplement history with a lot of books from the library. We are reading a great book on Saladin by Diane Stanley to complement the Crusades chapter. I use Mr. Q's astronomy. Next year we are going to start Lively Latin using the classical pronounciation. I am looking for a secular or classical Greek curriculum. We are using SSG this year, which does have Christian content - I just adjust those 3 chapters a bit.

We're still working our way through elementary school, but what I've found so far and have used or tentatively plan to:

Latin:

Galore Park Latin Prep (5th grade through middle school)

Minimus

I Speak Latin (I think)

Getting Started with Latin

History:

Story of the World

The Human Odyssey (middle school)

Oak Meadow US (5th), Ancient (6th) and World History (7th)

Mapping the World with Art (geography)

The Complete Book series (we are using US history and Maps & Geography)

Science:

Intellego

Great Explorations in Math and Science (GEMS)

Galore Park

Oak Meadow 5th-8th grade

Exploration Education

Ellen McHenry chemistry/the brain

Dr. Dave's science manuals

Don't even ask me about high school, though. :svengo:

I teach purely secular, and won't touch non-secular science curricula, but I make use of non-secular materials if they are solid choices. All in all, it was far easier to find secular materials when they were pre-6th grade.

We use Trisms now, which is not secular. I was originally told they were - but it is VERY easy to leave things out - very flexible. We also teach religion intellectually, and as part of history - and soon it will be part of learning philosophy.

In elementary, we used History Pockets. Loved those :) We read real books.

Latin - plenty of secular Latin out there :) We use Learn to Read Latin.

Science - we didn't have a problem finding secular materials until middle school. Then it got difficult. I am using ps texts - but I do a LOT of research as to which ones to use.

I usually planned out my own science when they were younger, but I have used a few kits and books. Delta has Science in a Nutshell kits, and Evan Moor has some great elementary science workbooks that include experiments/demonstrations.

It's all in my siggy (except for the stuff we've completed). We maybe, maybe will use Story of the World as a supplement in time, but that's as close to religious curriculum that we'll get. We are Christian, we just prefer to have complete control over DD's religious education. I don't want to have to police religious curriculum for hidden agendas all of the time, nor do we need the editorializing, so we just stay away from it.

If I say that we homeschool completely secularly except for religious education, will you laugh at me? :lol:

All of our academic materials are fully secular:

- Lively Latin

- SOTW with slight adaptations to Vol. 1 to put the Christian stories in secular context

- RSO Chemistry

- All About Spelling

- Writing With Ease

- soon to start Michael Clay Thompson for language arts

However, we do use a Unitarian-Universalist religious curriculum called "UU Superheroes" which introduces us to historical figures who were Unitarian or Universalist. Today we learned about the 19th century abolitionist minister Theodore Parker and talked about how important it is to listen to your conscience rather than relying on other people to tell you what is right or wrong.

However, we do use a Unitarian-Universalist religious curriculum called "UU Superheroes" which introduces us to historical figures who were Unitarian or Universalist. Today we learned about the 19th century abolitionist minister Theodore Parker and talked about how important it is to listen to your conscience rather than relying on other people to tell you what is right or wrong.

Where do you get a copy of UU Superheroes?

We approach homeschooling from a secular viewpoint. Right now we're using:

SOTW as a read aloud for history

BFSU for science

Getting Started with Latin for Latin

And unit studies for the sheer joy of it! Our unit studies will be rotating between fun units (like Mythical Creatures, and units based on The Dangerous Book for Boys/Daring Book for Girls); historical units; and geographical/cultural units.

Math is Math Mammoth and LOF. Writing/etc. come from the Brave Writer, The Sentence Family, and so forth.

Secular

HWOT, Progressive Phonics, All About Spelling , Math Mammoth +CWP + XtraMath , Atelier Art, Artistic Pursuits

I haven't seen any references to religion in either of these but, they were written for/by the Amish. There are references to spanking in Pathway Reading:

Climbing to Good English

Pathway Reading

Problematic

Elemental Science- In my opinion Science isn't complete without evolution. Elemental Science leaves out evolution. I'm thinking we will find other resources for middle school. At least for Biology.

Song School Latin - There are 3 chapters around Christmas that have Christian words.

History Odyssey - Secular except for a couple of parts of Children's History of the World. Most of the religion in CHOTW is not scheduled.

Yes, however not all the resources I use are secular. What I mean is that it is possible to teach from a secular point of view using books, etc. which present a different view. It can be merely pointing out that others have different views to sometimes skipping a section. I could teach using only secular materials, but I have found some things that really work for us which are not. For instance, CLE math has been the best math program for ds. There are occasional religious references, but not much. We also like some of the materials from Christian Liberty Press. Otoh, I have encountered some books in which the perspective is so overt and integral to the meaning of book that it doesn't work for us.

:iagree: I do use some religious program, but I use them secularly. We do read Bible stories, etc. But we also are reading the Ramayana and study other religions. I have given up on trying to find secular programs on some things because I have found they either do not work for us, or are just not up to the level of rigor I would like. And I hate textbooks. I will use them for science and math, but not other subjects. We're more CM'y.

Here's what I use(d) altogether (bolded are NOT secular and italic are hard to secularize but I still do it):

History: Tapestry of Grace, Sonlight booklists (I just completely skip the religious/worldview books and add in others I like. Year 1 of TOG is nearly impossible to secularize but 2 is ok), SOTW, Mapping the World Through Art

Science: MPH from Singapore Science, Story of Science, REAL Science Odyssey Life, BFSU, Mr. Q Life Science, Elemental Science Astronomy (ES is problematic because it appears to be neutral, but I have found more creationist matter to refer to than evolution-I don't consider neutrality secular, IMHO).

Spelling: All About Spelling, Apples and Pears

Grammar: KISS Grammar (no religious stuff so far), FLL, MCT, Shurley English

Writing: WWE, WWS, IEW (borderline secular-not a secular author)

Phonics: OPGTR, Dancing Bears, ETC

Math: MM, Singapore, Saxon, RightStart, Japanese Math, CLE, LoF

Foreign Lanugage: TPR French, SSL, SSG, Lively Latin, Rosetta Stone, Discover French Nouveau

Edited by mommymilkies

History Odyssey - Secular except for a couple of parts of Children's History of the World.
But these are clearly labeled, IIRC. Or am I confusing htat with the SOTW chapters on Abraham?

I love the Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors and Ancient Israelites and Their Neighbors activity books used in HO Ancients I.

We don't completely avoid religion since I feel children need to be familiar with the stories/history/text of the major and some non-major religions to be culturally literate. My family has it's own unique spiritual beliefs. I studied religious studies in school so I'm comfortable covering this myself.

But I do stay away from upfront obvious Christian materials. Mainly because I don't agree with that worldview and I'm not looking for a sermon or a "Bible study." But some of what we use come from I'd say Christian publishers or authors.

SOTW for history---I think it does a good job of being unbiased. Although I do have to explain to my kiddos that the Bible stories have some elements of historical truth with some folklore/myth thrown in the mix.

Science--we've used the Scienceworks units and RS4K (which is not as religious as some say---hardly anything that I've yet read is objectionable. It is a neutral program, which works for families who do have a spiritual worldview, especially around cosmology, but accept current science in that area as well. ). I also plan on using GSA Dinah Zike next year. You can also make science units from usbourne books and Vancleave or TOPS books.

I haven't completely explored Latin yet. I'm busy doing everything else!

Edited by Walking-Iris

But these are clearly labeled, IIRC. Or am I confusing htat with the SOTW chapters on Abraham?

I love the Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors and Ancient Israelites and Their Neighbors activity books used in HO Ancients I.

I would have to ask my DH. He does all of the history reading.

Given a choice I will always go with the secular option. However, I am not afraid of a little bit of religious worldview. For example, I use SOTW, which is written from a christian perspective, but find it very easy to modify. We discuss Christian mythology along with all the others.

I would never use something like Rod and Staff or BJU or Appologia materials, no matter how great people say it is.

Science must be totally secular. And, I don't count 'neutral' to be workable. If neutral is the best I can find, then I will be pulling in other material at the appropriate time.

It hasn't been difficult to find good Latin materials. I am going to have to bite the bullet with Greek. DS the elder says he wants to study Greek, classical Greek, not biblical, but I am not convinced that it will be secular. I am getting concerned about formal logic and rhetoric. I am hoping I can find some great secular materials when we need them.

Every year it gets a little bit easier to find good material. Newer secular materials seem to start with the younger years and then move to the older kids. It has been a little limited with my elder son, but I am hoping by the time my younger is in high school my choices will be many.

I add my own religious touches, and use secular curricula.

Science: BFSU, future RSO, Happy Scientist

Language: AAS, ETC, English for the Thoughtful Child, MCT, Happy Phonics

Math: Miquon, MEP, future Beast Academy, MathRider, Math Bingo

Logic: Critical Thinking Company Thinking Skills series, Primarily Logic series, Logic Safari series, Lollipop Logic series

Foreign: Signing Time, LifePrint.com, Salsa Spanish

My history/culture does include Bible verses, so it's not secular.

We are entirely secular homeschoolers, and non-religious individuals, but I can't say I avoid all mention of religion in our materials. For example, we love Life of Fred, and it is clearly coming from a religious POV. We don't mind, we have lots of great discussions about philosophy and morality when we read this stuff.

Science, I agree, must be purely secular, and from a scientific POV - none of this neutral/not mentioning origins bs. We use BFSU, supplemented with lots of great reading from other sources. It hasn't been hard to find good materials for science.

For history, we use SOTW, and treat the Christian myths just like all others. We supplement with myths from many traditions, so this isn't a problem for me. A History of Us is secular, as is A People's History for Young People, and the Oxford University Press series on the ancients and medieval/early modern. It seems like it's easier to find secular history when they get older.

Latin - we use Big Book of Lively Latin, and it is secular

Language Arts - FLL, WWE, and MCT are all secular

I teach purely secular, and won't touch non-secular science curricula, but I make use of non-secular materials if they are solid choices. All in all, it was far easier to find secular materials when they were pre-6th grade.

:iagree:

We are deeply religious, but it is important to me that all of our homeschooling materials are secular (except for Religious Education, of course). Part of this is because I want to choose how to religiously educate my children; I don't need my math curriculum to do that for me. I've also made this decision because my family is Jewish, and most of the religious homeschooling materials on the market are written through a Christian worldview.

Of course, in the case of excellent curriculum (such as SOTW) that really "get the job done" and aren't massively religious, I am perfectly comfortable with trying them out. My one exception to that rule is science. I refuse to touch non-secular science curriculum with a ten-foot stick. No, no, no, no. I also do not like curriculum that are "secular by omission" - that is, claiming to be secular when in fact they really just don't address evolution/age of the Earth at all. In my book, if a science curriculum is secular, it's pro-evolution, because that's the secular viewpoint on the YE/OE debate. I go out of my way to fully address evolution with my kids, with Intellego, etc.

Sorry. I'm rambling on about evolution now. Anyway, in case it's useful to any of you, here's a nice long list of secular homeschool curriculum:

http://satorismiles.com/curriculum/secular-curriculum/

We're secular homeschoolers from the viewpoint that our particular religious persuasion does not publish curriculum. I have found a good amount of secular material out there, but often I like Christian materials better because of the content or the approach so I do use them. Contemporary Christian curriculum typically presents a worldview that does NOT match our own, but if I really like that particular text for a different reason I am willing to edit and adapt it to meet our needs.

I'm not offended by encountering mainstream Christian beliefs in a text (we don't live in a vacuum and we do encounter people with those beliefs after all), and I don't feel the need to filter them from my children, but I do have to make an special effort to explain why we believe differently. I have to say that this has been a problem with my children from time to time and that I do have some concerns that they may pick up a spiritual orientation at odds with our beliefs. Especially since we are a minority and do not have a faith community locally (we make do with a UU church).

Edited by Rainefox