Menu

Second grade suggestions

garness

This is my first year teaching my 1st grade daughter. She is 7 years old now and she had kinder in a private school. I am just pieced things together this year and it has been very stressful for both of us. Half of it is just off the cuff and unorganized. She is reading well and enjoys it. We did Horizon 1 for the first half, she has been hating it, so I switched to singapore 1b. Now I'm not sure what I'm doing since I don't have the teachers manual. Just the text and workbook. It is SO different than Horizon. We are working through ETC workbooks for phonics reinforcement. She doesn't like them (not fond of writing). We are almost done with workbook #3. For history we did the first half of the year reading about colonial american, and now was are doing ancient civilizations. Just reading through A childs history of the world and the usborn world history book. For science all we have done is read about whatever topic sounds interesting (library books) but we haven't done any experiences or hands on (I know she would like this).

She is taking piano lessons. For art she does drawing with draw write now book.

She does AWANA as well for bible study/memory.

What would you recommend for 2nd grade? I would like something that is more planned out and has a teachers manual.

I have been thinking about MFW Adventures. What do you think?

This is my first year teaching my 1st grade daughter. She is 7 years old now and she had kinder in a private school. I am just pieced things together this year and it has been very stressful for both of us. Half of it is just off the cuff and unorganized. She is reading well and enjoys it. We did Horizon 1 for the first half, she has been hating it, so I switched to singapore 1b. Now I'm not sure what I'm doing since I don't have the teachers manual. Just the text and workbook. It is SO different than Horizon. We are working through ETC workbooks for phonics reinforcement. She doesn't like them (not fond of writing). We are almost done with workbook #3. For history we did the first half of the year reading about colonial american, and now was are doing ancient civilizations. Just reading through A childs history of the world and the usborn world history book. For science all we have done is read about whatever topic sounds interesting (library books) but we haven't done any experiences or hands on (I know she would like this).

She is taking piano lessons. For art she does drawing with draw write now book.

She does AWANA as well for bible study/memory.

What would you recommend for 2nd grade? I would like something that is more planned out and has a teachers manual.

I have been thinking about MFW Adventures. What do you think?

Honestly, what you did sounds complete and wonderful, but I know how nice and reassuring it is to have a schedule. That's why I make them for myself and use other scheduels too! I have not done MFW Adventures, but it sounds wonderful. It has all you need except you will need to add your own math and some LA stuff. Get the teacher's guide for Singapore, and that should help you if you have trouble teaching it. It is so much different than traditional math and needs some getting used to. We are doing Math Mammoth with one child, which is not traditional either.

Anyhow, once you get the flow of things and how others have scheduled things, you will be able to move into more freedom with things you want to add or subtract. Does that help? :001_smile:

Adding - check out Heart of Dakota too, as that is even more scheduled out, everything from math to history. It is very intricately put together, which some find irritating, as a child may move faster in reading than the schedule allows, but it's hard to move forward becaue everything is so intertwined. We like Sonlight (Core B is good for second grade); it's a lot of reading, you add in your own LA and math, which gives us wiggle room.

Edited by 3peasinapod

Your daughter sounds alike like my daughter...they have a lot in common with AWANA and piano. My daughter is in 2nd grade this year and we are loving Michael Clay Thompson (MCT) books on poems and grammar, although I was using Shurley Grammar 2 for her Grammar instruction/writing/vocab. That was going ok, but I wanted some variety. I like Shurley because it's teacher scripted and easy to use. The MCT books are easy to read together and discuss too.

We just started MFW Adventures and I am in love. After 18yrs of homeschooling I FINALLY found THE curriculum for us. It is all there (you just add your math and grammar or do their recommendations). It is extremely easy to use. Everything is scheduled out for you including art and music appreciation as well as a nature hike. Love it.

We just started MFW Adventures and I am in love. After 18yrs of homeschooling I FINALLY found THE curriculum for us. It is all there (you just add your math and grammar or do their recommendations). It is extremely easy to use. Everything is scheduled out for you including art and music appreciation as well as a nature hike. Love it.

Hmmm, got me interested now, I may have to finally go check out MFW.

To the OP: My curriculum that I am doing for my current first and secondbgrader are in my blog. HTH.:)

Wanted to add that Fridays are part days in Adventures. Today we had just math, reading and nature hike scheduled.

I don't really see why you feel bad about what you've done this year. It looks pretty nice!

For Singapore they sell Home Instructor's Guides that are very affordable. And you can get practice workbooks too, do you have those?

For LA next year, as long as she is reading well, I recommend doing a workbook with lots of handwriting in the beginning of the year (Like HWOT) and then starting Emma Serl's PLL when she is ready. My dd loves PLL!

My idea if you want something more put-together next year is MfW Adventures.

I will be home schooling a 2nd grader for the first time next year. I'm excited to try MFW Adventures and plan to use it along with Horizons math, Growing With Grammar 2, Winning With Writing 2, Spelling Workout B, a variety of SL books for reading and D'Nealian handwriting (since she's already begun this program in school). Don't know if I helped, but thought you might like a glimpse of our selections for next year. Good luck on your search! :001_smile: