Menu

Pre-Packaged Curriculum for WTM?

Tabrett

Does anybody sell a pre-packaged curriculum that follows the 4 year rotation and uses WTM's book suggestions? The library where I live is very new and doesn't have many books. I will probably use Sonlight as my base if I can't find something pre-packaged, but I really want to do the 4 year rotation and own all the books with a schedule.

Pre-packaged that follow the 4 year chronological rotation, most are Christian

www.tapestryofgrace.com

http://www.easyclassical.com/

http://www.covenanthome.com/Homeschool-Curriculum.htm

http://www.mfwbooks.com/philos.htm

http://www.treeoflifeathome.com/

http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/curriculum.htm (not exactly pre-packaged)

http://heartofwisdom.com/artman/publish/article_230.shtml

http://www.calvertschool.org/accredited-homeschool-curriculum/

I'm only providing links for your own research, we personally use Tapestry of Grace. There are curriculums that you can use for each subject to create a more tailored approach for your children and here's just a sampling of what's available:

www.pandiapress.com

www.memoriapress.com

www.veritaspress.com (Christian Classical but not in the 4 year rotation)

www.greatbooksacademy.com (Christian Classical but not in the 4 year rotation)

www.livinglearningbooks.com

http://www.themysteryofhistory.com/

www.brightideaspress.com

and many others.

Hope this helps!

Does anybody sell a pre-packaged curriculum that follows the 4 year rotation and uses WTM's book suggestions? <snip> but I really want to do the 4 year rotation and own all the books with a schedule.

For science, you can combine Noeo and REAL Science Earth & Space to do the same subject rotation (but not the same books).

I've often thought it would be great for someone to start up a WTM site . . . "to purchase WTM year 2, click here"

BUT Rosie (above poster) is right . . . it would take out all the fun . . . and we STILL would be tweaking it anyway!!

I've often thought it would be great for someone to start up a WTM site . . . "to purchase WTM year 2, click here"

BUT Rosie (above poster) is right . . . it would take out all the fun . . . and we STILL would be tweaking it anyway!!

Unless, of course, someone (GASP!!) didn't actually LOVE planning and tweaking and dithering and comparing prices and making lists and reading reviews and searching for sample pages.... all those things most of us secretly love! :laugh:

My husband asked me last night "You've already started 1st grade - why are you still fiddling with it?!" If you have to ask... :D

This is NOT a pre-packaged curriculum, but it is a schedule (history) for following a four-year rotation (one schedule per year). There are spines scheduled as well as readers and read-alouds. However, I do not always use ALL the suggestions. There are SO many good books out there! My methodology for choosing books other than spines is to sit down with the WTM lists by year, the Sonlight catalog, and the VP catalog and compare. If there is a book on all three lists, then that is one I choose.

I know what you mean by wanting to choose the best but this is just a friendly reminder and one I've needed desperately at times...

You need the best curriculum for your teaching style.

You need the best curriculum for your children's learning style.

You need the best curriculum that you will use consistently and with pleasure.

You need the best curriculum for where you are right now, it doesn't have to be a long-term solution.

Sometimes that's different from what others feel is the "best" curriculum available. If you choose a pre-packaged curriculum now keep in mind that as you gain experience you may travel down the road of tailoring your studies to your children instead of following a predetermined curricula. You may find that a prepackaged curriculum is exactly what you need. I'd like to recommend that you only buy what you need immediately and give yourself time to explore and learn about what is out there, learn about yourself in this new role as a homeschooling wife and mother.

Above all else, the best advice I can give from where I am is to keep in mind this is a journey. You will not be the perfect mother, perfect teacher, perfect wife. You may look to those who have more experience and think, "I should be doing that!" Get a notebook and fill it with all your ideas and marinate in them for a while before acting on them. Consider what is truly worth your time, effort and money- what is most beneficial for your kids at THIS time. I say all this because this board is filled with talented, resourceful individuals that sometimes can be very intimidating.

Welcome to the Adventure!

My methodology for choosing books other than spines is to sit down with the WTM lists by year, the Sonlight catalog, and the VP catalog and compare. If there is a book on all three lists, then that is one I choose.

That is a GREAT idea.

Thanks!

Why do a lot of the classical curriculum not follow the 4 year plan?

I am looking at the websites suggested and even the ones that you guys have labeled 4yr cycle are a 5 to 6 year cycle. Some that use WTM as their guide start ancient in 2nd grade and have an extra year of modern studies.

Any reason for not doing a strict 4 year cycle. I'm confused as to why this is not strictly followed. It seems to be the smartest way to teach history.

I am looking at the websites suggested and even the ones that you guys have labeled 4yr cycle are a 5 to 6 year cycle. Some that use WTM as their guide start ancient in 2nd grade and have an extra year of modern studies.

Any reason for not doing a strict 4 year cycle. I'm confused as to why this is not strictly followed. It seems to be the smartest way to teach history.

I think there are some who do a year of geography and other curricula that may spend more time on a particular period. Either way you will at some point cycle back through.

Some people like to spread out periods of history over more than a year, or insert their home country study for a year, or other reasons like Tarheel Heather said. Or younger children get folded in to an older child's history cycle and it doesn't work out that a younger child starts ancient in 1st grade.

If you like the 4 year cycle then just go with it. I do. It's what I started ds with in 1st grade and he just completed his 1st four year cycle. We'll do the next four years the same, only with logic stage study techniques (I use WTM as my guide). Dd is in the same time period, only her 1st grade year was modern, because I folded her in to the older one's study. So she will be doing ancients next year in grade 2. But still cycling every 4 years. It's what I started with, and I don't want to change it now cuz it works.

Does anybody sell a pre-packaged curriculum that follows the 4 year rotation and uses WTM's book suggestions? The library where I live is very new and doesn't have many books. I will probably use Sonlight as my base if I can't find something pre-packaged, but I really want to do the 4 year rotation and own all the books with a schedule.

Here is a site that arranges Sonlight books according to the 4 year WTM cycle - broken into grammar, logic, and rhetoric stage, too! I use this to supplement the lists in WTM.

http://homescool-ed.blogspot.com/2007/04/sonlight-books-arranged-by-well-trained.html

My husband asked me last night "You've already started 1st grade - why are you still fiddling with it?!" If you have to ask... :D

:smilielol5: Seriously!!! We're all set for 1st too, so when my husband catches looking through curriculum stuff online, his eyes roll around so much in his head I'm afraid they're going to pop out and roll around the room! They just don't get it...

If you like the 4 year cycle then just go with it. I do. It's what I started ds with in 1st grade and he just completed his 1st four year cycle. We'll do the next four years the same, only with logic stage study techniques (I use WTM as my guide). Dd is in the same time period, only her 1st grade year was modern, because I folded her in to the older one's study. So she will be doing ancients next year in grade 2. But still cycling every 4 years. It's what I started with, and I don't want to change it now cuz it works.

This is what I want to do. My dd will be in first grade next year (we will be doing SL p4/5 (core B) this year for K. I have two other children, a 3yr old and a 1yr old, that I want to cycle into the 4 year rotation so I am always studying the same history and science.

Did I just miss it, or did no one mention Story of the World?:001_smile: Some of the reading recommendations are the same as WTM, some are different. Many are available through your local library system. If your library is small, know that many libraries provided intersystem loan between libraries within the city, county, and/or state. Our local library system even allows us to do this online, so it's very convenient to look up and order books in advance.

Did I just miss it, or did no one mention Story of the World?:001_smile: Some of the reading recommendations are the same as WTM, some are different.

Are you talking about the activity guides? I have WTM and plan on buying SOTW 1 and Activity Guide. Are the reading recommendations in the AG different than WTM. Do I need to go ahead and buy the AG to design my curriculum? Is the AG a curriculum and not just activities to go with SOTW?

I don't want to spend time hunting stuff in the library. My local library is very new and not very extensive and I'm always paying late fines:tongue_smilie:. Plus hunting books with a very active 2, 4 and 6 yr old in the library is not fun.

We're all set for 1st too, so when my husband catches looking through curriculum stuff online, his eyes roll around so much in his eyes in his head I'm afraid they're going to pop out and roll around the room! They just don't get it...

:lol::lol: same here. I bought our curric. with the stimulus check - I thought we were getting it in May, so I had everything all planned out....then I realized it would be coming in June, so, goody for me, I got to spend another month looking and picking :D:D My dh couldn't figure it out. And now that I have it ordered, I'm still perusing the for sale board :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol: same here. I bought our curric. with the stimulus check - I thought we were getting it in May, so I had everything all planned out....then I realized it would be coming in June, so, goody for me, I got to spend another month looking and picking :D:D My dh couldn't figure it out. And now that I have it ordered, I'm still perusing the for sale board :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Me too!

(And oops! What an embarrassing typo--my apologies!)

Are the reading recommendations in the AG different than WTM. Do I need to go ahead and buy the AG to design my curriculum? Is the AG a curriculum and not just activities to go with SOTW?

There are just many, many more reading recs in the AG. For each chapter there are review questions, sample narrations, book lists (both nonfiction and fiction, often as many as 15-30 a chapter), maps and things to mark and color on the maps, coloring pages, and then several activites x 42 chapters = quite a curriculum. Enough for history, geography, reading/literature, and even writing, if you use the narrations for that.

I don't want to spend time hunting stuff in the library. My local library is very new and not very extensive and I'm always paying late fines:tongue_smilie:. Plus hunting books with a very active 2, 4 and 6 yr old in the library is not fun.

Can you take care of much of this online? I can search the catalog and renew my books online. I could even reserve or order things through inter library loan, but my library charges .50 a book for that. So what I do is all my searching at home then when I run into the library, I already have a list of call numbers to pick out. I am sure you can reserve them and have them waiting in a pile for you too, but if it is like my library that may be too expensive ;). They also e-mail me the day before my books are due, so I can at least get them renewed before they are over-due.

I've longed for a pre-packaged WTM secular curriculum. *sigh*

We did Sonlight for one year, but the later years involve more religious stuff that we wouldn't be using.

Now I pick and choose and do as it outlines in WTM. It takes me a few weeks of a few evenings per week to plan out a whole year, but it is customized for us.

Are you talking about the activity guides? I have WTM and plan on buying SOTW 1 and Activity Guide. Are the reading recommendations in the AG different than WTM. Do I need to go ahead and buy the AG to design my curriculum? Is the AG a curriculum and not just activities to go with SOTW?

We use SOTW and the AG. The AG has maps and coloring pages as well as extra history and literature book suggestions. I have the kids color a picture about what I'm reading and then write a sentence or two to summarize. I also use the review questions with my kids after we read a section.

:smilielol5: Seriously!!! We're all set for 1st too, so when my husband catches looking through curriculum stuff online, his eyes roll around so much in his head I'm afraid they're going to pop out and roll around the room! They just don't get it...

This makes me feel better. I was beginning to feel obsessive over all of this. Well, I guess I am, but that isn't the point. My hubby teaches at the college level, so what ever I say we need, he typically gets until about the 5th time I say "it's my last book for now".

Erica