Menu

Email account for a child?

DD9's two closest friends have email and she'd like to be able to email with them, and she has memberships to a site or two and she wants to be able to use her own email address for them. We've gone over all the ground rules and she's agreed, so now I'm wondering if there's a "best" provider for this kind of thing? I started to use Gmail, but then I wondered about the whole Google+ thing. And it wanted a name, so I put in mine, but then I wondered if it will attach my name to her emails, etc.

How do you handle this sort of thing if you let your DC have an email address?

TIA!

I set up gmail accounts for the kids, and all their accounts have copies of all incoming emails sent to my own email addy as well. They all know this & since it's always been this way, they don't object. This helps me keep an eye on things a bit.

:iagree:

This is exactly what we do. The kids have friends in classes at an enrichment school they will occasionally e-mail regarding homework and they like to keep in touch with their cousins in another state. Copies come to both my husband and myself and they know it.

Our kids have accounts through our internet provider (Road Runner). We're allowed a total of something like eight addresses in our basic plan. So, we just set up accounts for each kid when we did ours.

Neither of mine had any interest in e-mail until they were 12-ish. Prior to that, they had to be prompted to check it every now and then, just in case something important was sitting there. I still give my address to directors and such, rather than my son's direct one, so that I can keep track of rehearsal schedules and other important information, since he still doesn't necessarily remember to check it daily.

Thank you everyone, your advice was really helpful. I did end up with Gmail anyway, am having all her emails CCed to my account, managed to change her name from while the account is still under mine, and deleted the Google+ account and any links to it. While I was researching, I also came across the idea of setting up a secondary account with a filter so that I can filter it to forward only the emails from the approved senders, but there's a glitch or two with that I need to work out. In the meantime, she's very happy, and I'm satisfied. She's already emailed me, my mom, DH, and her friend repeatedly :lol:

I appreciate the input!

My DS has an email account on AOL and I've also set up one with gmail for him to use later, when he's older. I created the gmail account so he can have his name since that's sometimes difficult to do. His AOL account is set up with parental controls since he's under 13 and right now the only ones he emails is his cousins.

Thank you everyone, your advice was really helpful. I did end up with Gmail anyway, am having all her emails CCed to my account, managed to change her name from while the account is still under mine, and deleted the Google+ account and any links to it. While I was researching, I also came across the idea of setting up a secondary account with a filter so that I can filter it to forward only the emails from the approved senders, but there's a glitch or two with that I need to work out. In the meantime, she's very happy, and I'm satisfied. She's already emailed me, my mom, DH, and her friend repeatedly :lol:

I appreciate the input!

This is what we do. You can also set it up so that all emails from all your addresses can be sent and received from one screen( no separate logging in)

What do you do about spam? I get spam about increasing male organ size and other nasty rubbish plus phishing and attached .exe files (from "the post office").

I've had a Gmail account for over two years now and thankfully, I've never received a single piece of icky spam in it. Gmail is generally considered to have the best filter out there, which is why I went with it (even though I'm not real fond of the layout). I'm also having all email CCed to my main account so I can watch activity. Odds are that if she receives some kind of spam, I'll see it before she will (she doesn't get much iPad time daily).

Thankfully, the novelty is already wearing off :lol: She's sent and received some email from friends and family, and she's happy with that. She's already forgotten to check it for a day or so now. The current problem is that DD6 finds it very unfair that she's not permitted to have an email address too :lol: I'm not very concerned with that though!