Menu

Memoria Press Literature Guides?

Sharon37127

I bought the first grade ones for this year but ended up not using them because I felt they required too much writing. Memoria Press in general seems writing-heavy to me in the early years.

HTH,

Kathy

This was my impression as well... we had one and didn't end up using it. I think they're beautifully done, and really get at the heart of the reading... but it was far too much for my son to handle at young ages.

I am told some people do a few questions in writing, then do the rest orally, if that's something you'd want to try... it didn't seem to fit our needs, though.

I bought the entire 5th grade set for my son. We ended up ditching them because they feel busy workish and contrived. But then that is how we feel in general about lit guides. I think if you used the student guide and discussed it with the student, it might work better.

Edited by Guest

My 7th grader used the Robinson Crusoe guide and it really helped him get more out of the book. At this level the writing was right on target. I haven't used the younger guides yet.

I just ordered Anne of Green Gables and Wind in the Willows this morning (I got the same email).

We haven't used these before, but we're looking into the ones for third grade. I believe they follow the methods used in WWE in the younger grades when used correctly. For first, second, and third grades, the parent helps the student formulate the answer to the question and then they either have them copy or write the answer through dictation. I'm not sure about the narration part, but I can see how this can be added in, so it would essentially eliminate the need for a writing program.

Also, in the grade-level guides they only schedule about a page a day, so it's not too much writing at once.

Hope this helps,