Menu

If you have a treadmill (or other equipment), would you allow a neighbor to use it?

A neighbor asked us if our treadmill is for sale. Dh told him it isn't for sale (4 of us use it on occasion, depending upon our other activities/seasons), but we wouldn't mind if he came over to try it out a few times to see if he really wants to buy one.

Turns out his mom (an elderly lady with some dementia) needs exercise.

Here's the plan dh and this friend hatched:

Our teen dd would walk over to their house and bring his mom over to walk on the treadmill for 15 min or so, three times per week.

This is to save our friend the trip of taking his mom to a senior activity center. He would pay our dd for this little caregiving job, and I would be home.

I'm wondering if this is a bad liability idea . . . I mean, is it ok for someone else to use our equipment? Does our dd's getting paid change the equation? What do you think?

In case you were wondering: No, dd does not have a car to drive friend's mom to the activity center. This plan is feasible because dd can walk to the neighbor's house.

ETA: This is a close friend --helps us out when needed, watches ball games with dh, remembers the dc on their birthdays . . . We would want to help if we could.

Edited by BamaTanya

An elderly lady with dementia? No way. What if she fell? She could be seriously injured.

Of course, there are major liability issues as well, but just the idea that this woman could fall and get hurt would be enough to make me say no. It is also too much responsibility for a teenager.

I know you want to be nice, but I think this is a terrible idea on many levels. Let the guy buy his own treadmill and have your dh do him a favor by helping him get it home and set up in his own house, so he can keep an eye on his mom while she uses it.

Edited by Catwoman

An elderly lady with dementia? No way. What if she fell? She could be seriously injured.

Of course, there are major liability issues as well, but just the idea that this woman could fall and get hurt would be enough to make me say no. It is also too much responsibility for a teenager.

I know you want to be nice, but I think this is a terrible idea on many levels. Let the guy buy his own treadmill and have your dh do him a favor by helping him get it home and set up in his own house, so he can keep an eye on his mom while she uses it.

All of the above needs to be considered.

Absolutely not. In addition to liability concerns, and the fact that it's going to be way more disruptive than you imagine, I think it would be much better for the lady to go to the senior center. It will expose her and her family to the numerous services they have to offer.

I also think that's an unreasonable amount of responsibility to put on the shoulders of a teen.

Horrible idea.

Liability issues alone would put your teen, your property and your savings on the line should something bad occurs. This woman should not be using a treadmill, but in a class for Seniors at the YMCA with trained instructors. What about water aerobics for seniors? What kind of neighbor shirks off HIS responsibility for his relative onto strangers??? :glare:

First, I would check with my homeowners insurance. I hear mixed things about someone getting injured on your property.

Then, I might let HIM bring his mom over to walk her on the treadmill.

Agree with everyone else about liability and too much responsibility for the teen. What if she trips and falls and hits her head? A friend's young child broke a collarbone, when she let him "play" on a treadmill.

Horrible idea.

Liability issues alone would put your teen, your property and your savings on the line should something bad occurs. This woman should not be using a treadmill, but in a class for Seniors at the YMCA with trained instructors. What about water aerobics for seniors? What kind of neighbor shirks off HIS responsibility for his relative onto strangers??? :glare:

Just wanted to clarify -- he isn't shirking his responsibility. His mother lives with him full-time. He has to work (most days from home, but still on the clock). He's coordinating her daily care/medical appts/therapy/activities in addition to rearing his ds. He is a single father whose ex lives out of state.

He isn't shirking. He's trying to find ways to help his mom while he still holds down his job.

Based on watching the aging/dementia thing as my Grandma goes through it, I wouldn't. A treadmill isn't a good fit for that need and could easily be dangerous. I know there is exercise/therapy equipment, some of it pretty inexpensive, that can be recommended or prescribed by a doctor. If the neighbor-mom just needs some motivation or company, maybe your teenager could go over and encourage her on whatever the doctor said to use.

Just wanted to clarify -- he isn't shirking his responsibility. His mother lives with him full-time. He has to work (most days from home, but still on the clock). He's coordinating her daily care/medical appts/therapy/activities in addition to rearing his ds. He is a single father whose ex lives out of state.

He isn't shirking. He's trying to find ways to help his mom while he still holds down his job.

My heart says yes! do it. This is what we should be doing for each other. Extending a helping hand, letting others use our stuff as their own.

It's our stinkin government and insuruance companies that make it next to impossible. Yes, i would be worried that if something happened that their INSURANCE company would go after you/your insurancecompany for liability.

If they are a dear friend, of course I wouldn't worry about them coming after you.

It would make me nervous with an elderly person on a treadmill in a controlled environment let alone in your garage or house. On top of that she has dementia. If it is truly only 15 min. a day I would see if he could come over with her an supervise and see how that goes first.

My heart says yes! do it. This is what we should be doing for each other. Extending a helping hand, letting others use our stuff as their own.

It's our stinkin government and insuruance companies that make it next to impossible. Yes, i would be worried that if something happened that their INSURANCE company would go after you/your insurancecompany for liability.

If they are a dear friend, of course I wouldn't worry about them coming after you.

It would make me nervous with an elderly person on a treadmill in a controlled environment let alone in your garage or house. On top of that she has dementia. If it is truly only 15 min. a day I would see if he could come over with her an supervise and see how that goes first.

:iagree:

Depending on the weather, how about your dd takes the old woman for a regular walk around the block?

That was another thought of mine. It could be possible in early spring -- the next month or so -- but our heat is oppressive and our friend's mother cannot tolerate it. Air conditioning may be the reason he was considering a treadmill.

I may ask him about that, for now.

I wonder if an exercise bike or elliptical might be less risky for her than a treadmill. At their house, I mean. I don't have much experience on those since the ones at the gym bothered my knee.

I don't think his mother has mobility issues. I haven't seen evidence of her dementia, but I know he doesn't like to leave her alone.

my parents go to a senior citizen center and they have the treadmill lock/set at a very low setting, they are very scared of injury or lawsuit - the center director told them that it has high risk even having the treadmill

I linked a great workout video for seniors the oldest lady is 80 doing this DVD. I wonder if your dd couldn't go over and work through the DVD with her.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/older-and-wiser-workout-5532

they wouldn't need to do the whole thing at once maybe 10 min a day or something. The video is very gentle. The church elderly womens group get together and do this video a few times each week. Oh and there 2 more in the series.

I wouldn't. My mom fell off of a treadmill at a senior center. She only got minor injuries, but she has been scared off of it since and feels grateful that she didn't get hurt any worse. I think they can be dangerous, especially for the elderly, because of coordination issues.

Unfortunately, I must agree, as we live in a really litigious society. No good deed goes unpunished, as they say. So while it sounds like a great idea for daughter to assist the woman, I certainly wouldn't do it on MY equipment.

I don't even leave any equipment for tenants in my rental houses. Because then I'm responsible for it. If tenant has an accident with his own ladder or lawn mower, it isn't my liability.

Heck, I fell off a treadmill myself when I first started working out and I'm not elderly! (My kids would disagree).

I wonder if an exercise bike or elliptical might be less risky for her than a treadmill. At their house, I mean. I don't have much experience on those since the ones at the gym bothered my knee.

An elliptical, no. Getting on it is trickier than a treadmill and the motion is a little exaggerated, not really natural.

No. This is a huge insurance risk, especially since your dd is being paid.

I would not give anyone permission to use my exercise equipment in my house regularly. Even if they were a "dear" friend, if they are injured in my house I am liable. When someone is injured and makes an insurance claim, they are questioned how they got the injury, it would ultimately come back to me that it happened in my house and the other person's insurance would come after me, even if neighbor never intended too.

The neighbors need to go to the senior center. Doing so would be a good outing for the elderly parent and put the family "in the loop" about activities and services available that could not only increase the elderly parent's quality of life, but by extension the rest of the family's.

I wouldn't feel comfortable allowing that. I would be terrified of an elderly lady getting hurt in my home and us being held liable. I'd much rather they go for short walks around the block together, or a grown friend take her to the senior center, or even that she get supervised on a treadmill at a slow pace in her OWN home rather than mine if they were dying to use a treadmill (which doesn't seem like a great idea for an elderly woman). Maybe research good in-home exercise videos for elderly people and he can do that with her at her house if weather is too bad for a walk outdoors? I don't know. But, yeah, I just couldn't go along with the original plan even though it was really kind of you to consider it and a money-making opportunity for your son.

If it is truly only 15 min. a day I would see if he could come over with her an supervise and see how that goes first.
We have a relative with dementia and the problem with the above quote is that they can be perfectly "fine" one day but mentally blank the next. You never know. You could test her out on the treadmill on a good day, but there is no guarantee she will be fine the next time.

I honestly can't imagine most elderly women even wanting to use a treadmill! I know none in my family would.

Add in dementia? No way would I ever think a treadmill was a safe idea, no matter whose house.

No. This is a huge insurance risk, especially since your dd is being paid.

I would not give anyone permission to use my exercise equipment in my house regularly. Even if they were a "dear" friend, if they are injured in my house I am liable. When someone is injured and makes an insurance claim, they are questioned how they got the injury, it would ultimately come back to me that it happened in my house and the other person's insurance would come after me, even if neighbor never intended too.

:iagree: This is what I was thinking. It is nice of you to want to help them out, but the plan sounds risky.

He needs to take his mom to the senior center. Treadmills are challenging for those without her age and disability. At least at the senior center they'll have the safest type of treadmill for her and will have staff able to supervise.

It's asking a lot for your 15 year old to teach her how to properly use the treadmill and supervise her. People get hurt on them all the time. And 15 minutes doesn't seem like much time on a treadmill at all. Perhaps he can buy a Wii - the Wii Fit Plus is a good way to get people moving.

I would consider it if I felt comfortable with her level of dementia and thought it was safe for her physical abilities. Did her doctor recommend walking on a treadmill?

My paternal grandma had alzheimers and lived in a nursing home the last four years of her life, but we went by everyday and took her for walks around the area or to a store. Her mental capacity was failing, but she was in great physical shape!

My other grandma passed away this last summer at the age of 93. She lived at home and rode her exercise bike everyday.

Just because she is elderly and has dementia does not mean she is frail and incapable of exercise. I would make sure it is doctor approved and know that she cannot be left alone for even one second while on the treadmill.

Of course, there are major liability issues as well, but just the idea that this woman could fall and get hurt would be enough to make me say no. It is also too much responsibility for a teenager. .

:iagree::iagree:

Even if the neighbor wouldn't want to charge your ins. for her injury, the Dr/ins company would automatically do that.

Edited by lcelmer

Even if the neighbor wouldn't want to charge your ins. for her injury, the Dr/ins company would automatically do that.

To me, it isn't so much a risk of the neighbor suing if something happened, but that the lady's insurance certainly will go after the homeowner.

My DS was bit by my brother's dog several years ago and I had no idea what a can of worms it would open up when we took DS to the doctor. Really, once the doctor files insurance papers, it is out of your hands.

I know nothing about insurance, and how that all works, so not commenting on that.

A seniors centre, or day program would be highly beneficial to his mother. There are trained staff who help increase mobility, memory, etc...Really, the social aspect and activities would give her far more than just a walk.

Plus, I wouldn't put an inexperienced teen alone w/someone w/dementia, esp unsupervised, even for a short walk.

What happens if neighbour's mom decides to bolt? Or panics? Or decides your teen is her loathed former best friend from hs that stole her boyfriend and gets aggressive?

Any of those things can and do happen w/dementia, completely w/out warning.

I don;t have dementia and am not elderly. I do have arthritis including in my feet which makes me somewhat unstable. I find the treadmill a bit difficult to use. Any day I am not completely awake and not hyper at all is the only time I will use it. I find walking outside to be a much safer proposition for me. I live in Alabama and the heat in this area is not oppressive in the early morning or the later evening. That is when I think she should be walking outside (in the summer). Of course, I am not in the hottest part of the state but this was something I could do even in hot Florida so I think she can exercise in the early morning or the evening. Much, much safer.

Plus, I wouldn't put an inexperienced teen alone w/someone w/dementia, esp unsupervised, even for a short walk.

What happens if neighbour's mom decides to bolt? Or panics? Or decides your teen is her loathed former best friend from hs that stole her boyfriend and gets aggressive?

Any of those things can and do happen w/dementia, completely w/out warning.

Yes.

I have a relative with dementia and, even as an adult, I would be worried about being alone with her if she were walking on a treadmill. My relative has moments of absolute clarity. The next moment she may not even remember that she is holding a cup in her hand and drop it. She is in the early stages, but she has moments where she forgets to pick up her foot when taking a step walking across the living room floor. She has yet to fall, but she does stumble so much that it makes me nervous. No way would I want her near a treadmill.

If she fell in your home, the liability would fall on you and your homeowner's insurance. If they got wind of the fact that your DD is getting paid for helping her with/during the treadmill time, they'd likely deny the claims because it would fall under business liability which you do not have....leaving you personally responsible for all medical bills incurred as part of the fall.

It is kind that you want to help though. I'm wondering if there is any possibility that you or your teenager could set up a regular visiting schedule to go over and talk or read with her. If her balance isn't good or her mobility is limited, maybe chair exercises would be a good idea. I'm sure there are video guides on YouTube and here is a PDF of exercises. http://www.livewellagewell.info/study/2007/12-ChairExercisesUGA113006.pdf