Menu

Secular homeschoolers and conventions

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think there's a real niche in the market that companies like PHP, RFWP, etc. could step in to fill. Last year's get-together at Valley Forge was amazing and incredibly affirming. I know it was truly a labor of love for both of them, but I would have paid a LOT more money to go to that conference, and I still would to go to a more education-oriented event. I wish I had some more knowledge of this particular industry. I'd work toward setting something up myself! As it is, I'll be glad to edit the marketing and PR materials :D

The Royal Fireworks Press/Peace Hill Press conference last June near Valley Forge, PA was a 100% academic conference. I attended and presented there. It was a fantastic event, learned a ton and met some amazing homeschoolers. Contact Tom Kemnitz at Royal Fireworks Press to see if they are planning more like it in the future and to encourage them to do so!

http://www.rfwp.com/

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He not only comes with a Christian POV, but a very conservative one. His talks are sprinkled with "jokes" aimed at Democrats, liberals and non-believers. He has some good information, but you should be prepared.

I see you said his talks are "sprinkled"...

It looks like some might be misinterpreting that as "drenched."

I have very limited exposure to Andrew Pudewa (I've attended three of his lectures, but I didn't really see this. During one lecture he did mention that he figured most of the people there were Christian (it was a Christian conference) so they would probably agree with him about some point. There wasn't anything in the other two lectures except some ideas about teaching writing. Again - I've only been to three of his myriad of talks, but I'd hate for someone who might benefit from him to not go because they think he's an ultraconservative looney who'll be pushing his agenda the whole time. In my SMALL experience, he really did teach about teaching writing, and stuck to the topic.

The Royal Fireworks Press/Peace Hill Press conference last June near Valley Forge, PA was a 100% academic conference. I attended and presented there. It was a fantastic event, learned a ton and met some amazing homeschoolers. Contact Tom Kemnitz at Royal Fireworks Press to see if they are planning more like it in the future and to encourage them to do so!

I'd love to go to that if they have it again!

And you were excellent, Kalmia! The girls and I did some really weird stuff outdoors after I heard you in PA :D

We did last year at Valley Forge. We just need to not make that a one time thing.

Well, as I see it, the problem is the money. Speakers need paying, facilities need renting, etc. What would making that a reality entail? I suspect that both PHP and RFWP lost some money on last year's venture, or maybe broke even (though I'm sure we all did our level best to prevent that at their vendor tables :lol:).

I wish I knew more about conference management. I worked for a company that ran them, but I was on the CS side, not the execution side.

This is so relevant to my interests.

As a secular homeschooler in Texas, I think it likely I'd feel extremely alienated by what passes for an educational home school convention in these parts. SWB is coming to a convention here soon, and while her classes would interest me, I'm completely turned off by the rest. It's a total hate fest for folks like me.

Here's a sample listing of Texas Home School Coalition's 2012 Convention Workshops:

And my "favorite":

Did you catch that? Dads who simply fund hs'ing, and don't otherwise participate, are contributing to the feminization of their children, by trusting the job to the moms! Thank goodness my dh is a SAHD, and the primary hs'er; otherwise, what terribly progressive ideas might my son have inherited from the traditional set-up of probably 98% of all hs'ing families? :lol:

It can get worse - check out the FEAST one coming up in TX. https://www.homeschool-life.com/sysfiles/member/custom_public/custom.cfm?memberid=455&customid=4217

2 years ago the secular group SAHERO did one, and while lightly generically Christian it was wonderful - workshops on unit studies, frugal homeschooling, unschooling, and more. Unfortunately they haven't done another since.

I think it's far worse to make jokes about it than to just stand up and say what you believe. If someone stands up and says "I believe X" even if I disagree, I can still get along with and respect the speaker. If somone starts making a crack about how "people who don't believe X are Y and Z" then it starts getting really offensive, really fast.

Example -

I'm very comfortable saying I'm an atheist, even here where I know most of the other board members are not. It is honest, and should not be interpreted as offensive. But if I start cracking jokes about Christians I'm being incredibly offensive.

Exactly what meant.

I see you said his talks are "sprinkled"...

It looks like some might be misinterpreting that as "drenched."

I have very limited exposure to Andrew Pudewa (I've attended three of his lectures, but I didn't really see this. During one lecture he did mention that he figured most of the people there were Christian (it was a Christian conference) so they would probably agree with him about some point. There wasn't anything in the other two lectures except some ideas about teaching writing. Again - I've only been to three of his myriad of talks, but I'd hate for someone who might benefit from him to not go because they think he's an ultraconservative looney who'll be pushing his agenda the whole time. In my SMALL experience, he really did teach about teaching writing, and stuck to the topic.

Yes, I did interpret it as drenched and/or mean. I certainly don't mind a few jokes -- I love good ones about my particular denomination. And I love good comedians who make fun of everything. I've never heard AP ....

And you were excellent, Kalmia! The girls and I did some really weird stuff outdoors after I heard you in PA :D

That's what I like to hear! Especially the weird part. Thank you.

Anyway, I bet there are experienced homeschooling moms (There are many people on this board that I'd love to learn from in person) that could lead low-key workshops at such a conference in addition to the "big-name" speakers.

Then email Tom at mail@rfwp.com.

If you personally know excellent presenters who wouldn't charge exorbitant fees for presenting it might be worth mentioning them to him.

I hate to hassle him about it. My sense was that it was pretty clear that we were all really eager to do it again after the great experience, but it didn't seem like the organizers were quite willing to do it again (they actually seemed pretty burnt out :lol:). And then when no mention of it ever came up again, that seemed to confim it for me.

Do you feel (having had an inside perspective on how it all came together) that Tom would be eager to do something similar again? I'm sure we could all barrage him, but I'd hate to drive him nuts!

I hate to hassle him about it. My sense was that it was pretty clear that we were all really eager to do it again after the great experience, but it didn't seem like the organizers were quite willing to do it again (they actually seemed pretty burnt out :lol:). And then when no mention of it ever came up again, that seemed to confim it for me.

Do you feel (having had an inside perspective on how it all came together) that Tom would be eager to do something similar again? I'm sure we could all barrage him, but I'd hate to drive him nuts!

Wish they would have one here in Texas!

Other coast question:

As a very liberal, secular schooling feminist mama is it worth my time to go to the WHO conference in Washington State? It is this June. Any WTM types attending? WHO states that they are non-sectarian but the speakers list references a lot of Christian connections (it does not have the workshop titles as far as I can see though). I come from a deeply religious but liberal background and am used to and comfortable with conservative Christians but I am not interested in applying that theology to my home or schooling methods at all. If you have been in the past and can say if it is pretty diverse of backgrounds and political/religious leanings or if it is more by Conservatives for Conservatives, that would be great to know.

http://www.washhomeschool.org/convention/convention.html

And a reason why it is a good thing I don't live where I was born! :001_smile:

See, and we have family trying to convince us (a very liberal, atheist/lapsed Catholic, biracial family) to move to TX because they are convinced that it's more liberal than I think it is. Yet I keep hearing people say stuff like this, and I don't know what to believe!

As I recall, the Valley Forge conference was put together in a rush as a result of the cancellation of the big PA conference. And they were exhausted! But Tom was in a van accident on the way to the conference and that made it much harder. SWB did a huge number of presentations and seemed really tired too. MCT looked chipper though!

I have been lax in communicating with Tom lately, but last I heard (a couple months back) he was planning on doing another. However, I know that his press and offices were damaged from flooding during Hurricane Irene and they lost a lot of inventory. That may have derailed things. It wouldn't hurt to ask nicely if there were any plans in the works.

Edited by Kalmia
recalled the real reason the conference was put together so quickly.

Well, as I see it, the problem is the money. Speakers need paying, facilities need renting, etc. What would making that a reality entail? I suspect that both PHP and RFWP lost some money on last year's venture, or maybe broke even (though I'm sure we all did our level best to prevent that at their vendor tables :lol:).

I wish I knew more about conference management. I worked for a company that ran them, but I was on the CS side, not the execution side.

We need a mole at GHC to find out how they got started and built it up. :D Wasn't that one started by a homeschool family? I thought I remembered hearing that but I could be hallucinating. Lol!

See, and we have family trying to convince us (a very liberal, atheist/lapsed Catholic, biracial family) to move to TX because they are convinced that it's more liberal than I think it is. Yet I keep hearing people say stuff like this, and I don't know what to believe!

Actually, in the area I live, there is a great deal of liberalism/ diversity. The problem is, while there are many types of hs'ers here, the big hs conventions and organizations favor the supra-conservative types. However, there are growing numbers of secular and other hs groups here. The challenge is getting connected!

In any case, I do agree with you that it's not likely as liberal as where you are now (east coast, right?). For all the benefits this area has, the conservatism here makes me wish at least once a week that I hadn't been born here. :glare:

And a reason why it is a good thing I don't live where I was born! :001_smile:

Another disillusioned native Texan? Pleased to meet you. ;)

Tell me, what was it that finally compelled you to move? Was it the ps' pledge to the State flag? Or perhaps the ubiquitous gun shows every other month? :lol:

We need a mole at GHC to find out how they got started and built it up. :D Wasn't that one started by a homeschool family? I thought I remembered hearing that but I could be hallucinating. Lol!

You don't need a mole; it's been repeated over and over for every convention that exists, and it's just common sense. For GHC, one family put up the resources to start a small convention, then built it up from there. It just takes someone to actually do it. Usually it's a group of homeschoolers, such as a state organization. If you're willing to do the overwhelming work of recruiting volunteers, planning and contacting vendors and speakers, and carrying it all off, you get to decide what the convention looks like. And it's not just homeschool conventions: there are conventions of all sorts built up by a small group of people willing to start it off - crafts, natural foods, etc.

Edited by angela in ohio

Another disillusioned native Texan? Pleased to meet you. ;)

Tell me, what was it that finally compelled you to move? Was it the ps' pledge to the State flag? Or perhaps the ubiquitous gun shows every other month? :lol:

Well, my parents decided that they were no longer comfortable raising a mixed ethnicity family in Texas and moved us, via my dad's hometown of Denver, to Seattle when I was a kid for a variety of reasons. As a child, I really had no choice in the matter.

We are far from all our extended family (Kentucky, Colorado and Texas mostly) and that sucks but I feel pretty bound to Seattle- married a UWash guy, buried my mother here and now my brother and his partner can marry legally in WA state (just passed) so my liberal husband and I see no reason to leave the state at this point.

I guess the Texas does show through in me- I really want to go to Austin to see the Texas style roller derby. :001_smile: And in true San Antonio fashion (where my parents lived and went to St. Marys), my first solid food was tamales and rice. I do really enjoy visiting San Antonio. My family roots in Texas are San Angelo and Waco though. I have ancestors born in Texas pre-statehood.

Edited by kijipt

Well, my parents decided that they were no longer comfortable raising a mixed ethnicity family in Texas and moved us, via my dad's hometown of Denver, to Seattle when I was a kid for a variety of reasons. As a child, I really had no choice in the matter.

We are far from all our extended family (Kentucky, Colorado and Texas mostly) and that sucks but I feel pretty bound to Seattle- married a UWash guy, buried my mother here and now my brother and his partner can marry legally in WA state (just passed) so my liberal husband and I see no reason to leave the state at this point.

I guess the Texas does show through in me- I really want to go to Austin to see the Texas style roller derby. :001_smile:

Hey, Austin's the most liberal region of the state by far, so you could definitely have a good time visiting there. Regarding roller derby, I have no qualified opinion to make. But I can recommend the ice hockey here. :D

P.S. If I lived in Seattle, I probably wouldn't move here either. :tongue_smilie:

And also those GHC conventions are so huge (and they do accept/welcome secular vendors) that here is a small convention within the convention. Really. You just need to wade through a lot of weird stuff to got to the good things. I have been trying to get them to group that stuff together, but I am only one person.

I think that Greenville is the least diverse of the bunch. Each one should have it's own special flavor.

Anyhoo... those ones are big, you don't need to go to anything you don't want to, and no one will judge you... unless you're making out with your partner all over the place, and I think if you weren't same sex people would get irritated and all rumpled about that anyway.

I make it a point to re-dye my hair extra red, just because. :D

Unfortunately, the secular HS market is still too small to make many waves yet. When we get there, my kids will be out of school! WAH!:tongue_smilie:

And also those GHC conventions are so huge (and they do accept/welcome secular vendors) that here is a small convention within the convention. Really. You just need to wade through a lot of weird stuff to got to the good things. I have been trying to get them to group that stuff together, but I am only one person.

I think that Greenville is the least diverse of the bunch. Each one should have it's own special flavor.

Anyhoo... those ones are big, you don't need to go to anything you don't want to, and no one will judge you... unless you're making out with your partner all over the place, and I think if you weren't same sex people would get irritated and all rumpled about that anyway.

I make it a point to re-dye my hair extra red, just because. :D

Unfortunately, the secular HS market is still too small to make many waves yet. When we get there, my kids will be out of school! WAH!:tongue_smilie:

Well my DW won't be coming, since someone has to stay home with the kids. :-D I'm really not worried about people judging me or ruffling feathers (used it by now), but also don't want to spend 2 or 3 days back "in the closet" or having to feel people out before mentioning my family to them. I look very straight, which tends to make these issues worse because people get all kinda shocked when they find out, and it ends whatever conversations my limited social skills can get started. :tongue_smilie:

DW has short spikey (sometimes purple) hair and wears only mens clothes. She never has to come out to anyone, lol.

Well my DW won't be coming, since someone has to stay home with the kids. :-D I'm really not worried about people judging me or ruffling feathers (used it by now), but also don't want to spend 2 or 3 days back "in the closet" or having to feel people out before mentioning my family to them. I look very straight, which tends to make these issues worse because people get all kinda shocked when they find out, and it ends whatever conversations my limited social skills can get started. :tongue_smilie:

DW has short spikey (sometimes purple) hair and wears only mens clothes. She never has to come out to anyone, lol.

You wouldn't have to worry about it anyway, there are so many people I don't think they have time to be obnoxious. I don't think you should feel any more comfortable/uncomfortable than any other place. It is great people watching for a non-creationist/secularist/educational HSer. :D

I think I am going to wear a plunging neckline this year, BTW. Probably some crazy tights, too. I'm trying to push the envelope a bit. Hipster Homeschool squad.

That's what I like to hear! Especially the weird part. Thank you.

Anyway, I bet there are experienced homeschooling moms (There are many people on this board that I'd love to learn from in person) that could lead low-key workshops at such a conference in addition to the "big-name" speakers.

:iagree: I vote for a WTM Forums conference. Here are some posters I'd love to have a workshop with:

-ester maria

-regentrude

-8fillstheheart

-lewelma

-NaninMass

-JaniceinNJ

-ohElizabeth

-nmoira

I am sure there are others.

-

...but also don't want to spend 2 or 3 days back "in the closet" or having to feel people out before mentioning my family to them. I look very straight, which tends to make these issues worse because people get all kinda shocked when they find out, and it ends whatever conversations my limited social skills can get started. :tongue_smilie:

When I went to the ENOCH convention, I didn't really get to talk to a lot of people for more than a few minutes here and there. It was crowded and bustling the whole time, and the workshops were very full and not particularly conducive to a lot of chit-chat, unless you were one of the first people to get into the room and sit down. The vendors were friendly, but again, they were pretty busy, too, so there wasn't any personal conversation. I could have been married, divorced, single, straight, gay, or from Jupiter, and no one would have known or cared.

The people I spoke with, when I did get a chance, all seemed friendly, but no one seemed to be paying enough attention to anyone else to bother judging them. Most people seemed to be there with their children, so they were busy keeping track of them in the large convention hall. (Your dw could definitely come along and bring the kids -- unless you plan to meet people there, it might be pretty boring by yourself.)

LOL about your dw never having to come out to anyone! :D

So, I'm thinking I'd really like to attend a convention this spring/summer. DW is supportive of me getting away for a weekend, and I'd really like to see some curricula in person. I think the whole convention thing would help me solidify my thinking for what I want to do with DD.

We are a secular, same-sex parent family, so while I do not need a convention to be fully secular, I do need it to be fairly accepting. I'd hope that there would be enough topics to keep me interested that apply to a secular homeschooler who is still at the very beginning of my homeschooling journey. Probably most important, though, is that I'd want there to be a reasonable selection of secular curricula for me to look at.

I live in the northeast (NY state). Closer is better, of course. I don't mind driving, but flying would not be in the budget for me. So, NY, VT, MA, CT, PA, NJ, and northern OH would be what I would consider a reasonable drive.

Any suggestions?

It sounds as if you are going alone. So what difference does it make how "accepting" the convention is? You want to look at curriculum, right? So you can do that anywhere that has curriculum. Maybe I'm not understanding.

There may be workshops or break-out sessions that do not interest you. There were always many that did not interest me or fit my station in life. For example, the last time I attended one, my kids were very young, so I was interested in elementary curriculum and not remotely interested in teen stuff. Now, the reverse is true.

I only went to one or two. That kind of rah-rah stuff doesn't really interest me.

I don't have an ideas for you but I would **really like is a 100% academic** convention: how to teach math to X, how to do a lit class with just you and kiddo, workshop on writing styles and age appropriate examples, how to make a transcript, You Too can mummify a chicken, Intro to X math program for parents who are scared of math, spelling tips that work, how to encourage late readers etc.

I don't need inspiration, or religion, or keeping my marriage happy. I want PRACTICAL things.

That would have been SO nice, back when I attended conventions. Lots of boring and irrelevant stuff with some good stuff sprinkled in!

When I went to the ENOCH convention, I didn't really get to talk to a lot of people for more than a few minutes here and there. It was crowded and bustling the whole time, and the workshops were very full and not particularly conducive to a lot of chit-chat, unless you were one of the first people to get into the room and sit down. The vendors were friendly, but again, they were pretty busy, too, so there wasn't any personal conversation. I could have been married, divorced, single, straight, gay, or from Jupiter, and no one would have known or cared.

The people I spoke with, when I did get a chance, all seemed friendly, but no one seemed to be paying enough attention to anyone else to bother judging them. Most people seemed to be there with their children, so they were busy keeping track of them in the large convention hall. (Your dw could definitely come along and bring the kids -- unless you plan to meet people there, it might be pretty boring by yourself.)

LOL about your dw never having to come out to anyone! :D

No, DW and the kids are NOT coming. Me having time alone is part of the deal here, don't you go telling her she can come. :tongue_smilie:

Probably good points, otherwise. I'll probably just wander my introverted self around a bit, look at some curricula, and then go sit in my room and enjoy the lack of children climbing on me.

No, DW and the kids are NOT coming. Me having time alone is part of the deal here, don't you go telling her she can come. :tongue_smilie:

Well... I might not tell her, particularly if... oh, I don't know... a big box of cookies suddenly showed up on my doorstep... ;)

Not that I'm trying to blackmail you or anything. That would be wrong. :D

BTW, if you're looking for a mini-vacation, ENOCH isn't exactly in a garden spot. There may be far better options for you to choose from.

Did you look at LEAH? I don't really fit that demographic either, but I've gone twice and between the exhibit hall, the vendor sessions, and a few good workshops found more than enough to keep busy while ignoring the patriarchal/creationism stuff.

Besides, if you go to LEAH, we could go together! :D

I loved being at that conference, but ended up a couple of thousand dollars out of pocket. I received no speaker fee or travel expenses (all the registration fees went to cover the facility cost), and sold very few books--BECAUSE most of the people who were there already HAD my stuff, and came because they had it.

I figured that would happen--it wasn't a surprise--and we wanted to do something for the folks who got left hanging by the GHSC cancellation, but it's not something I can afford to do often.

To at least break even at a conference, it has to be big enough/have enough speakers to attract people who haven't ever heard of you and are introduced to your work for the first time. *That's* what makes conventions worthwhile from a business point of view.

I have been saying for several years now that I would like to see an academics-centered conference--we were trying to put together the grass-roots tour (unfortunately postponed because it's a bad time for me to be away from my family for a week at a time) for that purpose.

If we could find someone with experience organizing large conventions, PHP would certainly invest in it. I bet Jim Weiss would too, and several other well-known folks I could think of. But I'm also sure that none of us have the time to take away from our creative work to organize, publicize, market, and manage a decent-size convention.

SWB

I don't have an ideas for you but I would **really like is a 100% academic** convention: how to teach math to X, how to do a lit class with just you and kiddo, workshop on writing styles and age appropriate examples, how to make a transcript, You Too can mummify a chicken, Intro to X math program for parents who are scared of math, spelling tips that work, how to encourage late readers etc.

I don't need inspiration, or religion, or keeping my marriage happy. I want PRACTICAL things.

I completely agree! I haven't attended a convention yet because I want practical academics.

This wonderful academic convention will probably happen in about 4 1/2 years.:tongue_smilie: That's how much longer I have to homeschool, and I have that kind of luck. :lol::lol: No, I'm not good at organizing things either.

My most productive "conferences" have been personal ones that I've put together just for myself. Read some books, listen to some teaching lectures, do some planning.

I'm actually trying to plan a get together with someone who lives close, but not close enough to visit often. Load up some of my books and curriculum, add a bottle of wine and some chocolate, book a hotel, sounds like a great weekend.

I loved being at that conference, but ended up a couple of thousand dollars out of pocket. I received no speaker fee or travel expenses (all the registration fees went to cover the facility cost), and sold very few books--BECAUSE most of the people who were there already HAD my stuff, and came because they had it.

I figured that would happen--it wasn't a surprise--and we wanted to do something for the folks who got left hanging by the GHSC cancellation, but it's not something I can afford to do often.

To at least break even at a conference, it has to be big enough/have enough speakers to attract people who haven't ever heard of you and are introduced to your work for the first time. *That's* what makes conventions worthwhile from a business point of view.

I have been saying for several years now that I would like to see an academics-centered conference--we were trying to put together the grass-roots tour (unfortunately postponed because it's a bad time for me to be away from my family for a week at a time) for that purpose.

If we could find someone with experience organizing large conventions, PHP would certainly invest in it. I bet Jim Weiss would too, and several other well-known folks I could think of. But I'm also sure that none of us have the time to take away from our creative work to organize, publicize, market, and manage a decent-size convention.

SWB

Susan, I'm wondering what might be an average speaker fee for a small- to medium-sized conference. And do speakers always get reimbursed for travel, or is it sometimes worth their while to cover their own travel expenses? I tried to PM you but couldn't, so please PM me if you'd rather not reply here (or if you'd rather not reply at all, I understand--I just don't know who else to ask!).

I've been thinking about this all day. If I were to put this idea in front of my husband...well, let's just say, he's the "take the ball and run with it" kind of guy :tongue_smilie: There's a little tiny part of my exhausted brain that's really kind of tempted to face this Goliath down, and in spite of the rest of my exhausted brain screaming at it to shut up, I find myself mentally compiling a list of potential locations, thinking about who I'd like to see speaking at such a conference, etc. :001_huh:

ETA: And I forgot to say that what you said is pretty much exactly what I imagined to be the case. I knew even while we were there that that was probably what was happening. I can't tell you how many times I almost burst into tears while we were in Valley Forge over what you all did for us, and how hard everyone worked to make that event happen. It was so humbling. I appreciate it so much. I know we all did.

Edited by melissel

Susan, I'm wondering what might be an average speaker fee for a small- to medium-sized conference. And do speakers always get reimbursed for travel, or is it sometimes worth their while to cover their own travel expenses? I tried to PM you but couldn't, so please PM me if you'd rather not reply here (or if you'd rather not reply at all, I understand--I just don't know who else to ask!).

I've been thinking about this all day. If I were to put this idea in front of my husband...well, let's just say, he's the "take the ball and run with it" kind of guy :tongue_smilie: There's a little tiny part of my exhausted brain that's really kind of tempted to face this Goliath down, and in spite of the rest of my exhausted brain screaming at it to shut up, I find myself mentally compiling a list of potential locations, thinking about who I'd like to see speaking at such a conference, etc. :001_huh:

ETA: And I forgot to say that what you said is pretty much exactly what I imagined to be the case. I knew even while we were there that that was probably what was happening. I can't tell you how many times I almost burst into tears while we were in Valley Forge over what you all did for us, and how hard everyone worked to make that event happen. It was so humbling. I appreciate it so much. I know we all did.

:iagree: I'm sitting here googling conference organizers and wondering where we would ever begin. This would be amazing...potentially changing/updating the face of homeschooling. Imagining a GHC size version of Valley Forge makes me giddy. :D

:iagree: I'm sitting here googling conference organizers and wondering where we would ever begin. This would be amazing...potentially changing/updating the face of homeschooling. Imagining a GHC size version of Valley Forge makes me giddy. :D

Heck, imagining an ENOCH-sized version of Valley Forge makes me giddy! :lol:

Did you catch that? Dads who simply fund hs'ing, and don't otherwise participate, are contributing to the feminization of their children, by trusting the job to the moms! Thank goodness my dh is a SAHD, and the primary hs'er; otherwise, what terribly progressive ideas might my son have inherited from the traditional set-up of probably 98% of all hs'ing families? :lol:

I consider myself to be a fairly conservative Christian. I wear pants, manage our finances, etc. but I would say my husband is definitely the head of our home. That said, my husband does simply fund our homeschool. He makes absolutely no decisions as to what curriculum I use, how I schedule our day,... NOTHING. If I told him that I needed $5K this year he'd do his best to provide it. :lol: (Good thing I'm the cheap skate in the marriage). He travels a lot for work, as in he's gone for over half the year sometimes. He also works long days and has a very long commute. He doesn't have time to do the research I do. He's extremely supportive of what I do and strongly encourages the kids in their studies. But he's very hands off. I suppose our little boy is doomed.:tongue_smilie:

I was unable to attend the Valley Forge Conference but yeah, it makes me giddy too. It would be so encouraging and refreshing to gain some solid practical information on ACADEMICS!!

I don't want to discourage anyone, because I would love to attend a conference like you're considering, but before I had my ds, I owned a show management company that organized and promoted collectibles shows, and I have to warn you that a homeschool convention will be a tremendous amount of work, and will also require a very large cash outlay.

It would be a full-time job for several people, and would probably take a year or more to schedule, organize, and promote. And in this economy, it would quite likely be a money-losing proposition.

Again, I would love it if someone put something like this together, but I did this sort of thing for several years, and believe me, there is far more time, money, effort, and stress involved than you may be imagining. (And I remember firsthand when I started my business that I had no clue as to what was actually involved, so please know that I'm not criticizing anyone. It's just that I have been there and done that, and it really requires full-time effort and tremendous dedication.)

Sorry to be a wet blanket.

I don't want to discourage anyone, because I would love to attend a conference like you're considering, but before I had my ds, I owned a show management company that organized and promoted collectibles shows...

Excellent!!! I vote Cat for president of this venture. Second? :D

(No, seriously though, I am certain you are right, which is what is holding me back. I wish it were not so, though *sigh*)

I don't want to discourage anyone, because I would love to attend a conference like you're considering, but before I had my ds, I owned a show management company that organized and promoted collectibles shows, and I have to warn you that a homeschool convention will be a tremendous amount of work, and will also require a very large cash outlay.

It would be a full-time job for several people, and would probably take a year or more to schedule, organize, and promote. And in this economy, it would quite likely be a money-losing proposition.

Again, I would love it if someone put something like this together, but I did this sort of thing for several years, and believe me, there is far more time, money, effort, and stress involved than you may be imagining. (And I remember firsthand when I started my business that I had no clue as to what was actually involved, so please know that I'm not criticizing anyone. It's just that I have been there and done that, and it really requires full-time effort and tremendous dedication.)

Sorry to be a wet blanket.

That's not being a wet blanket. It's important to know up front what would be involved.

Excellent!!! I vote Cat for president of this venture. Second? :D

Second!

;)

I was able to find enough at Greenville last year to stay very busy and I'm very secular and a feminist. Unfortunately with SWB not there this year, there really looks to be a lot less and I'm not planning on going. I may go for a day to see MCT but we'll probably skip it.

Last year my husband only had to walk out of one presentation because he found it too offensive :) Don't remember what it was. I would LOVE a secular conference focused on academics with some of the "how do you handle balancing teaching with parenting" discussions too - but if the answer is to defer to my husband and read the Bible... well... not much use around here!