Menu

Secular homeschoolers and conventions

So, I'm thinking I'd really like to attend a convention this spring/summer. DW is supportive of me getting away for a weekend, and I'd really like to see some curricula in person. I think the whole convention thing would help me solidify my thinking for what I want to do with DD.

We are a secular, same-sex parent family, so while I do not need a convention to be fully secular, I do need it to be fairly accepting. I'd hope that there would be enough topics to keep me interested that apply to a secular homeschooler who is still at the very beginning of my homeschooling journey. Probably most important, though, is that I'd want there to be a reasonable selection of secular curricula for me to look at.

I live in the northeast (NY state). Closer is better, of course. I don't mind driving, but flying would not be in the budget for me. So, NY, VT, MA, CT, PA, NJ, and northern OH would be what I would consider a reasonable drive.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ENOCH is a convention in NJ, and while it is not secular, many of the vendors sell secular materials, and they usually post a list of vendors on their website, along with info about the details about the people who will be speaking on each day of the convention, so you can see if there are enough interesting things to make it worth the trip for you.

I have only attended the ENOCH convention once, and it was several years ago, but I remember seeing a wide variety of homeschoolers there, from the high heels and makeup variety, all the way to the moms and daughters who dressed in the Little House on the Prairie style, so I really doubt that anyone would pay much attention to you and your dw. It's New Jersey, after all, and most people are pretty tolerant of others' lifestyles. It's not as though anyone is going to strike up a conversation by asking you what church you attend. ;)

I think the convention info is probably on the ENOCH website by now, but I haven't bothered to check because I doubt we will be attending. Personally, I think the admission charges are pretty steep -- I'm not usually that excited about seeing different speakers, so I think my money is better spent on buying curriculum rather than paying for convention tickets, unless someone really great will be there. (I will say that the year I went, SWB and her mom were there, so that alone was well worth the price of admission!)

I'm not familiar with any of the east coast conventions, but I do know there are some that are more secular out west. Particularly in California. You could plan a vacation around something like that. I know I would. LOL

Was there any particular curriculum you were interested in? I'm sure some of us have used it and could give you an opinion or review.

I'm not familiar with any of the east coast conventions, but I do know there are some that are more secular out west. Particularly in California. You could plan a vacation around something like that. I know I would. LOL

Was there any particular curriculum you were interested in? I'm sure some of us have used it and could give you an opinion or review.

Part of the problem is that I don't have a particular curriculum in mind lol. I don't even know what would BE in a curriculum half the time. I see a lot of opinions of things on here and just want to get my hands on a few things so I can start to make sense of stuff.

Someday I'd love to plan a California vacation, lol, but that's not an option for me this year. I can't be gone for more than the weekend, someone has to take care of my kids and DW doesn't have the time to take off of work.

I don't have an ideas for you but I would **really like is a 100% academic** convention: how to teach math to X, how to do a lit class with just you and kiddo, workshop on writing styles and age appropriate examples, how to make a transcript, You Too can mummify a chicken, Intro to X math program for parents who are scared of math, spelling tips that work, how to encourage late readers etc.

I don't need inspiration, or religion, or keeping my marriage happy. I want PRACTICAL things.

I don't have an ideas for you but I would **really like is a 100% academic** convention: how to teach math to X, how to do a lit class with just you and kiddo, workshop on writing styles and age appropriate examples, how to make a transcript, You Too can mummify a chicken, Intro to X math program for parents who are scared of math, spelling tips that work, how to encourage late readers etc.

I don't need inspiration, or religion, or keeping my marriage happy. I want PRACTICAL things.

I'm right there with you. I was shocked the first time I looked at a convention workshop list at how many workshops didn't seem to be directly related to educating our children.

ENOCH is a convention in NJ, and while it is not secular, many of the vendors sell secular materials, and they usually post a list of vendors on their website, along with info about the details about the people who will be speaking on each day of the convention, so you can see if there are enough interesting things to make it worth the trip for you.

I have only attended the ENOCH convention once, and it was several years ago, but I remember seeing a wide variety of homeschoolers there, from the high heels and makeup variety, all the way to the moms and daughters who dressed in the Little House on the Prairie style, so I really doubt that anyone would pay much attention to you and your dw. It's New Jersey, after all, and most people are pretty tolerant of others' lifestyles. It's not as though anyone is going to strike up a conversation by asking you what church you attend. ;)

I think the convention info is probably on the ENOCH website by now, but I haven't bothered to check because I doubt we will be attending. Personally, I think the admission charges are pretty steep -- I'm not usually that excited about seeing different speakers, so I think my money is better spent on buying curriculum rather than paying for convention tickets, unless someone really great will be there. (I will say that the year I went, SWB and her mom were there, so that alone was well worth the price of admission!)

Catwoman, I just poked around their website. It looks like their details for this year are going up next week, but they have everything from last year up and it looks pretty good! There were several workshops I'd be interested in, and it looks like they waived the fee last year for parents of preschoolers who had never attended a convention before. So my only real cost would be food, travel, and lodging. I'll have to wait until they get up info for this year, of course, but there's definite potential for that one.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

That's the main reason why most of the conventions don't appeal to me. Too many of of the speakers are talking about lifestyle and religion issues, rather than actual homeschooling stuff.

If I want a therapist or a marriage counselor, I'll hire one. Just give me information I can use every day as I homeschool my ds,and I'll be very happy.

Catwoman, I just poked around their website. It looks like their details for this year are going up next week, but they have everything from last year up and it looks pretty good! There were several workshops I'd be interested in, and it looks like they waived the fee last year for parents of preschoolers who had never attended a convention before. So my only real cost would be food, travel, and lodging. I'll have to wait until they get up info for this year, of course, but there's definite potential for that one.

If you decide to go, let me know and maybe I'll sign up this year, too. It's not around the corner from me, either, but if the workshops sound interesting, it might be worth it, and maybe we could meet up!

I'm right there with you. I was shocked the first time I looked at a convention workshop list at how many workshops didn't seem to be directly related to educating our children.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

That's the main reason why most of the conventions don't appeal to me. Too many of of the speakers are talking about lifestyle and religion issues, rather than actual homeschooling stuff.

If I want a therapist or a marriage counselor, I'll hire one. Just give me information I can use every day as I homeschool my ds,and I'll be very happy.

I don't know if y'all know this, but a boatload of Christian homeschoolers would rather come to the conventions described here, as well.

I don't know if y'all know this, but a boatload of Christian homeschoolers would rather come to the conventions described here, as well.

Sorry, I only posted half my thought. (I keep doing that lately!)

I meant to add that I think we're making a big mistake in letting one slice of one demographic of homeschoolers become THE face of homeschooling and THE owner of all meetings and conventions.

As homeschoolers, we're better off when we're very diverse. IMVHO.

I'm not surprised at all. It seems like you'd appeal to a wider range of people if the focus was less on parenting, relationships, personal fulfillment, and how to cook a healthy meal. I have other avenues for those issues. I want to go to a convention to learn about education.

I'm registered for the Greenville GHC and reviewed the list of workshops earlier today. Honestly, you'd think The. Driving. Factor. in all of homeschooling is creationism. (And yippee for me for figuring out how to multi-quote :).)

The first one I looked at was the GHC (Hartford, for me). A couple of old threads on here seemed to imply that it was secular-friendly at least. But about half an hour on their website kinda changed my mind there. I really don't want to go to a convention all about creationism (or evolution, for that matter). Surely, most homeschoolers (Christian or otherwise) are interested in other issues than the Creation/Evolution debate, right?

But that is the segment of the population that plans the conventions or has the $$ to pay speakers etc.

Them that pays the piper gets to call the tune.

And if Christians want more homeschooling at their homeschooling conventions then they need to tell the organizers and not go if they don't like what they see. If the organizers don't make money then they will listen.

But that is the segment of the population that plans the conventions or has the $$ to pay speakers etc.

Them that pays the piper gets to call the tune.

And if Christians want more homeschooling at their homeschooling conventions then they need to tell the organizers and not go if they don't like what they see. If the organizers don't make money then they will listen.

So far they haven't noticed me not going. LOL

I guess there are two sides of the coin:

1. Create inclusive magazines, conventions, and groups

2. Try to have conversations with convention-goers about how it is in the best interest of all of us to keep homeschooling about homeschooling

(I don't know how to handle that second one while conceding that, for some people, homeschooling isn't just homeschooling but part of a greater lifestyle that I don't personally see as Christian but they do...homesteading, homeschooling, quiverfull, etc. I don't want to tell anybody what to do. I just wonder if people have really thought how it hurts homeschooling freedom for all of us if the 'face' of hs'ing is only one face.)

But if anyone ever wants to work on #1, setting up truly inclusive resources, I'm always on board to help out with that.

If you decide to go, let me know and maybe I'll go, too! :001_smile:

I'm going to the GHC in Hartford. I think they're going overboard with Creationism this year due to the kerfuffle last year. They want to show they're "good Christians". I can still get enough interesting things to make me want to go.

As for you being a same-sex parent family, I wouldn't let that stop you. I've seen many many women stick with their friends, and no one batted an eye. As long as you don't actually come out with the information, no one would know. You can hang around with me, I'd be delighted to meet you.

:iagree: This was one of the biggest disappointments I had the first time I attended a conference. I was so excited about attending the workshops of a certain math curriculum author only to find out that it was not about math but about the importance of having daily devotions. I'm a Christian who is very serious about following God and training my children, etc. But I needed some info on math not devotions. :lol: I also get so sick of speakers offering constant affirmation that I'm doing the right thing by homeschooling. I don't attend a conference for a pat on the back, I attend them to learn more about teaching my kids!

Yeah, I haven't been able to find anything secular. Who sponsors these conferences? Curricula manufacturers? Is there anyone we can collectively write to to ask for a secular convention?

There is no central cabal for all hs'ers. The only thing I could think of is if MANY people each contacted their local (and next state over) conference telling them why they aren't going. "I would go if you had more academic instruction", or I would go and bring three friends if you had more ....

I have been to the NJ ENOCH convention several times, but not for the past few years.

The pros: Rainbow Resource booth, used book sale (line up to go at beginning), a few vendors I liked, some fun activities for kids (eg. model airplanes)

The cons: I only went to a one or two lectures in several years, because most talks were 'Christian' (the father is the head of the family kind of thing). The viewpoint of some vendors is disconcerting ("The author is Christian, but his curriculum is secular -- he presents both points of view on evolution.''). Prayer booths scattered among the vendor stalls.

I think it is worth it to go once -- maybe twice. But check the vendor list carefully to see if the companies you want are there. The list can change as the convention time gets closer. If you are going for just one day, the vendors will keep you pretty busy, so not having lectures you like can be a moot point. And RR usually has a BIG display -- totally worth going for!

That is my experience with NJ anyway.

Edited by Alessandra

I have been to the NJ ENOCH convention several times, but not for the past few years.

The pros: Rainbow Resource booth, used book sale (line up to go at beginning), a few vendors I liked, some fun activities for kids (eg. model airplanes)

The cons: I only went to a one or two lectures in several years, because most talks were 'Christian' (the father is the head of the family kind of thing). The viewpoint of some vendors is disconcerting ("The author is Christian, but his curriculum is secular -- he presents both points of view on evolution.''). Prayer booths scattered among the vendor stalls.

I think it is worth it to go once -- maybe twice. But check the vendor list carefully to see if the companies you want are there. The list can change as the convention time gets closer. If you are going for just one day, the vendors will keep you pretty busy, so not having lectures you like can be a moot point. And RR usually has a BIG display -- totally worth going for!

That is my experience with NJ anyway.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm waiting for the list for this year to come out. I don't expect it to become an annual thing, but I do feel like it would be good for me to go to *something* once. I was planning to pick out a couple of lectures that look good, but don't plan to do a lecture in every time period. I'd rather spend more time in the exhibit hall... Prayer booths and such won't bother me. I'm going to start a list, I think, of companies I'd like to see. That should help narrow things down (both in choosing a convention now and deciding which booths to visit when i get there).

Sorry, I only posted half my thought. (I keep doing that lately!)

I meant to add that I think we're making a big mistake in letting one slice of one demographic of homeschoolers become THE face of homeschooling and THE owner of all meetings and conventions.

As homeschoolers, we're better off when we're very diverse. IMVHO.

:iagree: Right? Maybe we should start our own

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

How about a WTM convention?

I'm going to the GHC in Hartford. I think they're going overboard with Creationism this year due to the kerfuffle last year. They want to show they're "good Christians". I can still get enough interesting things to make me want to go.

As for you being a same-sex parent family, I wouldn't let that stop you. I've seen many many women stick with their friends, and no one batted an eye. As long as you don't actually come out with the information, no one would know. You can hang around with me, I'd be delighted to meet you.

I agree. I'm an atheist, and I'm still aiming for Hartford this year (though lack of funds may prevent me from getting there). My plan is just to keep my headphones on and my head down and only go to the sessions that I know will be pertinent to me.

I'm in NJ too, and I may try for ENOCH this year as well. There was enough there to interest me last year (even assuming that lectures that appeared secular in description would probably lean toward a Christian viewpoint--I really wanted to see Andrew Pudewa!), but it was too close to the PHP/RFWP conference that I couldn't corral my DH and mom into childcare again quite so soon! If you decide to go to ENOCH, let me know too!

:iagree: This was one of the biggest disappointments I had the first time I attended a conference. I was so excited about attending the workshops of a certain math curriculum author only to find out that it was not about math but about the importance of having daily devotions.

Oh dear :( I would be very surprised and disappointed at that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think there's a real niche in the market that companies like PHP, RFWP, etc. could step in to fill. Last year's get-together at Valley Forge was amazing and incredibly affirming. I know it was truly a labor of love for both of them, but I would have paid a LOT more money to go to that conference, and I still would to go to a more education-oriented event. I wish I had some more knowledge of this particular industry. I'd work toward setting something up myself! As it is, I'll be glad to edit the marketing and PR materials :D

ME TOO!

Oh, and AdventureMoms, I forgot to add that you might want to look at this conference. It's outside your zone but might still be doable, and it's very inclusive:

http://vahomeschoolers.org/conference/2012/session_information.asp

Julie Bogart and Ed Zaccaro will be there :D

That looks like a pretty great convention. The distance *might* be workable (it's about a 9 hour drive) but the dates completely don't work for me. DW will be out of town for business travel that week. Maybe some future year though!

even assuming that lectures that appeared secular in description would probably lean toward a Christian viewpoint--I really wanted to see Andrew Pudewa!

He not only comes with a Christian POV, but a very conservative one. His talks are sprinkled with "jokes" aimed at Democrats, liberals and non-believers. He has some good information, but you should be prepared.

He not only comes with a Christian POV, but a very conservative one. His talks are sprinkled with "jokes" aimed at Democrats, liberals and non-believers. He has some good information, but you should be prepared.

Oh shoot! I asked about it here and I thought I was told that it would be fine! I'll have to go find that old thread and see what I ignored :001_huh: I was hoping to see him this year, but maybe my tolerance is a little too low for that these days *sigh* Thanks for the heads up.

ETA: You did make mention in that thread, I must have just looked past it. Hmmmm... Well, maybe I'll sit it and the back and walk out if I must. I really dislike the "jokes" like that during public presentations, religious, political, or otherwise (toward either end of the spectrum).

Edited by melissel

Thank you. I didn't know. I'm very glad to learn this now, instead of figuring it out at the convention while sitting with my husband who is both liberal and a Democrat.

Maybe Mr. Pudewa doesn't know that liberal Democrats (and even union members, like my dh!) can be Christians and homeschoolers.

Maybe he doesn't know that quite a few of us uber-conservative Christian type homeschool mommies are married to wonderful husbands who do not share our religious views but support the way we are homeschooling our children, and these men feel totally unwelcome and unappreciated in the homeschooling world. Which stinks, because they sacrifice in all the same ways the other daddies do, but without a 200 Year Plan.

I'm working up to a rant, here,:willy_nilly:but I think I'll stop now.

AdventureMoms, I'm impressed that you would consider a 9hr drive if you were both able to go. That's pretty darn far!

Maybe he doesn't know that quite a few of us uber-conservative Christian type homeschool mommies are married to wonderful husbands who do not share our religious views but support the way we are homeschooling our children, and these men feel totally unwelcome and unappreciated in the homeschooling world. Which stinks, because they sacrifice in all the same ways the other daddies do, but without a 200 Year Plan.

Ick. :grouphug:

I've been to many conventions in my homeschooling career--some good, some not-so-good. We're Catholic, so not the typical demographic at any of them that we've attended. I never let it stop me if there are speakers that I want to hear.

I've heard some great people who have been instrumental to our homeschool, and often they've been at conferences that have included a whole list of topics that I have no interest in hearing. I do my research beforehand, but I've heard some great math workshops, etc. given by people who at the time I wasn't familiar with, but who turned out to be dynamic speakers with a passion for helping parents teach their kids.

This year, DH and I are considering attending the GHC in Calif. so we can tour a film school or two while we're there. So location may matter to you, too!

AdventureMoms, I'm impressed that you would consider a 9hr drive if you were both able to go. That's pretty darn far!

Lol, we like to travel here. We're doing a 14 hr drive in April, with the kids. I'm debating a 5hr drive to my moms house while she's gone in March (driving alone, with the kids). Compared to the 5 hrs in the car with three little kids, 9 hrs alone seems downright peaceful!

There is no central cabal for all hs'ers. The only thing I could think of is if MANY people each contacted their local (and next state over) conference telling them why they aren't going. "I would go if you had more academic instruction", or I would go and bring three friends if you had more ....

Then there is the point that many state or local conferences are put together by the christian homeschooling organizations. At least where we've lived there have been no statewide secular groups.

Wow. He is making a big presumption that all his audience share his exact views? Sounds like an exemplar of narrow-mindedness. I'm fine with people standing up for their own points of view, but really?

So far they haven't noticed me not going. LOL

I guess there are two sides of the coin:

1. Create inclusive magazines, conventions, and groups

2. Try to have conversations with convention-goers about how it is in the best interest of all of us to keep homeschooling about homeschooling

(I don't know how to handle that second one while conceding that, for some people, homeschooling isn't just homeschooling but part of a greater lifestyle that I don't personally see as Christian but they do...homesteading, homeschooling, quiverfull, etc. I don't want to tell anybody what to do. I just wonder if people have really thought how it hurts homeschooling freedom for all of us if the 'face' of hs'ing is only one face.)

But if anyone ever wants to work on #1, setting up truly inclusive resources, I'm always on board to help out with that.

I have been deperate to get this type of thing going, but trying to pull it together is SO hard!!!

If enough people are interested in taking baby steps, what about pooling money and curricula together to rent a medium hotel conference space for a show and tell, maybe followed by a face to face brainstorming session? I'd be up for something like that within driving distance.

You know, another good option for getting your hands on some curricula to look through is to contact local homeschoolers and tell them your situation as a mom with young children wanting to see what is out there. Chances are there are a few in your area who share my terrible curriculum junkie disease and have shelves full of different options they would let you peruse. I often invite new homeschoolers over to look through my collection, to get ideas of what is out there. I know for a fact I'm not the only one on this board with shelves full of various math curricula! I love talking curricula with people, and appreciated those who did the same for me when I was just starting out.

--Sarah

I have been deperate to get this type of thing going, but trying to pull it together is SO hard!!!

If enough people are interested in taking baby steps, what about pooling money and curricula together to rent a medium hotel conference space for a show and tell, maybe followed by a face to face brainstorming session? I'd be up for something like that within driving distance.

I would be. And as we have discussed, my notion of "driving distance" is liberal.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Wow. He is making a big presumption that all his audience share his exact views? Sounds like an exemplar of narrow-mindedness. I'm fine with people standing up for their own points of view, but really?

I think it's far worse to make jokes about it than to just stand up and say what you believe. If someone stands up and says "I believe X" even if I disagree, I can still get along with and respect the speaker. If somone starts making a crack about how "people who don't believe X are Y and Z" then it starts getting really offensive, really fast.

Example -

I'm very comfortable saying I'm an atheist, even here where I know most of the other board members are not. It is honest, and should not be interpreted as offensive. But if I start cracking jokes about Christians I'm being incredibly offensive.

This is so relevant to my interests.

As a secular homeschooler in Texas, I think it likely I'd feel extremely alienated by what passes for an educational home school convention in these parts. SWB is coming to a convention here soon, and while her classes would interest me, I'm completely turned off by the rest. It's a total hate fest for folks like me.

Here's a sample listing of Texas Home School Coalition's 2012 Convention Workshops:

Home Education: Why and How

Do you have a biblical theology of education? Or do you simply educate your children at home because it promises safety' date=' security, and higher SAT scores? This session is designed to examine the Scriptures with a view toward a biblical theology of education that will serve as a foundation upon which families can build a philosophy of true home discipleship.

[b']Culture Wars: How They Affect the Home School Family and How We Respond[/b]

There is a mighty clash of worldviews going on all around us, and there is no way to escape. Educating our children at home will only postpone the inevitable. Our children will engage the culture. The only question is, will they do so as lambs going off to slaughter, or will they be sheep among wolves who are “wise as serpents and innocent as doves”? (Matthew 10:16)

Harvard or Heaven

What are you aiming for in the education of your children? Is it the same thing every other person in America is striving to attain? Is being a follower of Christ a determining factor in the goals toward which you educate your children? Does your child absolutely have to have a college degree? If so, is the traditional college route a wise investment of time and money? In this session, we will expose the harsh truth about what Forbes Magazine calls “The Great College Con.” Most Bachelor’s degrees aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. There are also a host of trades and careers that don’t require going to college. And if your child does end up needing a college degree, there are inexpensive, convenient, safe ways to get it done in a fraction of the time and at a fraction of the cost. This is a session college administrators don’t want you to attend.

And my "favorite":

The Role of the Father in Home Education/Discipleship

Many homeschool dads view their role in home education as little more than providing the money to buy curriculum each year. However' date=' the results of such passivity can be devastating. Marriages are strained, homeschool boys are feminized, moms are frustrated and isolated, and feminism often exploits the opening. As a result, the homeschool movement is in jeopardy of being feminized altogether. While you may not be able to do anything about the big picture, you can (and must) do something about your own home. However, this mandate must be viewed in light of the overall view of the home laid out in the Scriptures. This session will explore how dads can be more than just sideline spectators (or worse, bullies who demand results and threaten to pull the plug if their kids don’t get up-to-speed). Dads will learn how to cast vision, set goals, offer support, and get involved[/quote']

Did you catch that? Dads who simply fund hs'ing, and don't otherwise participate, are contributing to the feminization of their children, by trusting the job to the moms! Thank goodness my dh is a SAHD, and the primary hs'er; otherwise, what terribly progressive ideas might my son have inherited from the traditional set-up of probably 98% of all hs'ing families? :lol:

Edited by Aelwydd

Also, if anyone would like to explain the whole GHC kerfuffle to me, please PM me. It was before I was aware of any of this, and my googling turns up articles that make no sense to a noob who doesn't have the foggiest idea who the players are. I don't think we need a whole thread about it, but if someone would like to PM me and give me the short version of who did what and why we're all so up in arms about it, I would appreciate it.

Also, if anyone would like to explain the whole GHC kerfuffle to me, please PM me. It was before I was aware of any of this, and my googling turns up articles that make no sense to a noob who doesn't have the foggiest idea who the players are. I don't think we need a whole thread about it, but if someone would like to PM me and give me the short version of who did what and why we're all so up in arms about it, I would appreciate it.

I would, but I don't know the details, either. :tongue_smilie:

This is so relevant to my interests.

As a secular homeschooler in Texas, I think it likely I'd feel extremely alienated by what passes for an educational home school convention in these parts. SWB is coming to a convention here soon, and while her classes would interest me, I'm completely turned off by the rest. It's a total hate fest for folks like me.

Here's a sample listing of Texas Home School Coalition's 2012 Convention Workshops:

And my "favorite":

Did you catch that? Dads who simply fund hs'ing, and don't otherwise participate, are contributing to the feminization of their children, by trusting the job to the moms! Thank goodness my dh is a SAHD, and the primary hs'er; otherwise, what terribly progressive ideas might my son have inherited from the traditional set-up of probably 98% of all hs'ing families? :lol:

Wow. I think I'd actually protest a convention like that. :glare:

Oh. My. God! Guess there's no hope for me attending a convention.

Quote:

Home Education: Why and How

Do you have a biblical theology of education? Or do you simply educate your children at home because it promises safety, security, and higher SAT scores?

I guess I struggle with the idea the HSing promises anything, much less high scores. In fact, even for those seeking a higher intellectual achievement, are test scores "it"?!

Culture Wars: How They Affect the Home School Family and How We Respond

There is a mighty clash of worldviews going on all around us, and there is no way to escape. Educating our children at home will only postpone the inevitable. Our children will engage the culture. The only question is, will they do so as lambs going off to slaughter, or will they be sheep among wolves who are “wise as serpents and innocent as doves”? (Matthew 10:16)

I'd like my children not to be sheep of any sort. Baa.

Harvard or Heaven

(Not a class on avoiding bifurcation, obviously.)

Any time I hear these talks about the joys of a domineering husband, I wonder why so many women get married. I hate that stuff.