Menu

If you do math on 3 levels, please stop in

cmarango

I am interested in the idea of doing math on 3 levels. I understand the parts: doing some math fact stuff, doing your regular curriculum, and then doing higher level topics for exposure. I am trying to sort out how much of each to do (per day, per week) and how to pick those higher level topics.

If this is your approach, then could you please share what it looks like in your homeschool?

Thanks so much.

I am interested in the idea of doing math on 3 levels. I understand the parts: doing some math fact stuff, doing your regular curriculum, and then doing higher level topics for exposure. I am trying to sort out how much of each to do (per day, per week) and how to pick those higher level topics.

If this is your approach, then could you please share what it looks like in your homeschool?

Thanks so much.

I wrote some about our math approach here.

Here is how it looks right now for my kids who are whole to part learners and fit with the easy is hard/hard is easy learning pattern.

Oldest child - Introduction to algebra through algebra-based physical science curriculum (2-3x week), LOF Fractions(1-2x week), finishing Singapore 3B with CWP and IP (4-5x week), math facts on Xtra Math (4-5x week)

2nd grader - Living math books and videos (2-3x month), finishing Singapore 2B with CWP and IP (4-5x week), math facts on Xtra Math (4-5x week)

For the living math books I just pick books on topics where I think they could learn something. LOF took the place of living math books for my oldest child this year.

I have an hour allotted for math and logic time per school day. Logic probably takes up 30-45 minutes a week of that time. Science time is additional.

We use a variety of math here. We use a basic curric like Horizons, add in Life of Fred, Challenge Math and living math books like Murderous Maths, Number Devil, etc. We also like brain teasers which is an excellent tool for learning how to problem solve.

In general, we'll do Life of Fred religiously and Horizons for practice or for days we don't do Fred (we like to do that together). We'll add in Challenge Math here and there for a few days at a time (as long as it takes to complete a chapter). The only one dd doesn't enjoy doing is Horizons so we don't have any trouble filling 45 minutes or so per day on math because she wants to do it. I don't have a set schedule except that we work until there is a reason to switch (I notice she needs review of a concept, need for change, just got a new living math book/resource, etc.) We do go through each book in order and, often surprisingly, find at the end of the year a lot has been covered and retained.

I highly recommend Challenge Math and Life of Fred. Both will introduce high level concepts as well as math application.

Thanks so much.

Me too! no answers, just chaos here ;). Well, sort of. We're doing MathUSee Delta & Epsilon, MEP YEar 4, Calculadder, Life of Fred Fractions, and living math books (those very rarely, 'cause of time problems), and it's rather a house of cards at the moment, esp. 'cause the toddler is trying to drop his nap.

eek! and :bigear::bigear::bigear:

We do this. Both kids are working through the Singapore textbook plus 1 other curriculum systematically. DD is using Horizons Pre-Algebra with DM1, DS is using Right Start B with Singapore 1B.

DD is thankfully beyond the facts practice stage at this point, but with DS I'm using the Right Start games set and Mindware's Addition Adventures and Subtraction Secrets books.

For introducing high-level concepts, DD is using Life of Fred plus Danica McKellar's books (just reading them). In the past, she has used Hands-on Equations and the Zaccaro Challenge Math series.

With DS, I am just doing it informally. Usually what happens is that I extend a lesson in Singapore or Right Start when he shows interest by pulling something off my shelf. For example, I used part of the Math Mammoth Fractions 1 worktext to extend the chapter on fractions in Singapore 1B.

Thanks so much.

Dd8 does prealg via TT Alg 1 and HoE. She is exposed to advanced & creative topics via weekly Cybershala online classes (following the SM ip/cwp series) and occasional aops problems on our white board with me. She reads LOF for fun (often). She is using algebra in her Scratch programs which she writes.

Dd7 does TT 5 currently for the basics -- along w/ ip/cwp for advanced topics. Looking forward to BA when it's ready. She'll love it. She wants to do what dd8 does so I don't have a problem with exposing her to more and more math topics.

HTH!

ETA: Dd is in the midst of her online class right now. Here is a glimpse...

Find the value of r so that the line passing through (8,r) and (4,5) has a slope of -4.

Find the slope of a line that passes through points at (2,3) and (-8,-2).

Abi solved them and Rachna said (in her adorable Indian accent), "Great job! You handle those questions very well. How do you like this topic?

Abi said, "I think it's fun." :)

R just showed her a graph and asked A, "Which line has a zero slope and how can you justify your answer?"

Edited by Beth in SW WA

DD7 does math at 3 levels, but with a different teacher for each level.

She participates in her 2nd grade math class at school (4 times per week), where they use TERC Investigations. Her teacher gives her different homework from the rest of the class, usually on the same topic as the rest of the class, but at a higher level. She also bought Zaccaro's Primary and regular Challenge Math books for DD to use.

I afterschool her in math about once per week, focusing more on her functional level. I do math facts and other topics not covered at school. I basically select a math topic or technique, usually stemming from something DD has asked about, then find the best supporting material for instructing DD, currently a mix of Singapore 4 and 5 and Saxon 7/6, depending on the topic. I also use the Usborne Math Dictionaries as a basic reference guide. I plan to start her on a more structured program later this year, using AoPS pre-algebra, once I feel she has a good enough foundation.

She also attends a weekly math discussion group for kids, led by a math PhD candidate. They explore math ideas a bit over my head, but in a way that the kids can grasp. DD says it is very fun.

She also attends a weekly math discussion group for kids, led by a math PhD candidate. They explore math ideas a bit over my head, but in a way that the kids can grasp. DD says it is very fun.

Cool! What a treat for your dd. I love the hybrid approach you take. My hybrid approach works well for us too.

I'm giggling at your board name. :lol: Welcome!

How often does everyone do the stretch/challenge math? Once a week, several times a week, every day.....

:bigear:

On days we don't have outside activities as part of school. Between 2x/month lab science classes, 2x/month history/geography co-ops, and once a week co-op, it usually means 3x/week.

We have gradually been switching over to MEP and are basically finished with our transition. Dilly-Dallyer (5) and the twins (7) use MEP as their spine math program, 5x a week. Dilly-Dallyer uses Miquon as her reinforcement and living math as her challenge; each of those are 2x a week. The twins use various misc. activities as their reinforcement, and IP/CWP for their challenge; each of those are 2x a week. The fifth day of the week is LoF for all three. So, each day of the week we are doing two math "things".

Things get a bit more complicated for my olders, so I'm not going to explain all of that. I am playing around with the idea of Hands-On Equations for the twins, as well as a co-op conceptual math discussion group, but will hold off on starting those for a year (or three).

Cool! What a treat for your dd. I love the hybrid approach you take. My hybrid approach works well for us too.

I'm giggling at your board name. :lol: Welcome!

Thanks Beth!

The hybrid approach definitely makes the most sense to me, working one-on-one with my daughter. I can see what is or is not clicking, and adjust accordingly. I think it's great to have multiple ways to look at math. I couldn't imagine sticking with one curriculum to teach my daughter, nor could I subject her to all of the assigments for even one math curriculum.

We do this, although I didn't realize it until I read your post.

Level 1: For math facts, my boys use with Math Rider or xtramath daily.

Level 2: For regular curriculum, DD9 is doing MM5. DD6 is finishing up MM2 and will start MM3 in a month or two. This doesn't provide much of a challenge for either child, and we tend to skip portions of it quite a bit once mastery is demonstrated.

Level 3: For challenge, older does CWP and Alcumus. We'll begin Pre-A in the summer, while likely continuing MM6. For younger, he does CWP, math games, Zaccaro, math puzzles...I'm thinking he'd like HOE as well, so we'll probably start that soon. We generally do Level 3 work 1-2 times a week, younger more often than older.

• 3 weeks later...

For my twins9: We use Teaching textbook 5, Key to Fractions, Decimals, Measurement and Metric Measurement and percents (yes all of them), Hands On algebra, Dreambox, Study Island

For my dd8 yrs old: We use Teaching Textbook 3, RightStart B, Dreambox, Study Island, Math Mammoth, Timez Attack

So I am using several levels of math for these kids but they are catching up superbly. They were in PS up until this year. They were deprived kids to begin with (I met them when they were 2yrs and 4yrs) and one of them has some kind of memory issue. I am very impressed what the 8yrs old can do now.

During the summer I will be killing them with Singapore Math 3 for the 4th graders and Singapore Math 1 for the 2nd grader along with MEP. I am hoping by then they will have a strong math background.

I have no idea what I am going to do next year. They love the TT though and I am like ehhh about it.