Menu

math mammoth and clocks

reign

My oldest has just started telling time section of MM. It starts with half past. I have never said half past or quarter past. I remember watching the polka dot door (which taught this) and thinking it was a Canadian thing. Do people tell time like this still? Is it worth teaching? Thanks.

We did that section and I think it was really helpful for DD to get the "half past" part first. People do understand when you use the term, even if they don't use it themselves, and it's so easy for a child to pick up on half past by the way she teaches it. It was a great first start to telling time for DD.

My oldest has just started telling time section of MM. It starts with half past. I have never said half past or quarter past. I remember watching the polka dot door (which taught this) and thinking it was a Canadian thing. Do people tell time like this still? Is it worth teaching? Thanks.

:lol::lol: I always thought it was an "American thing", being Canadian and all. :tongue_smilie:

I have never used "past", "'til", "of", or "half", and I've never heard anybody back home tell time in that way. We said quarter AFTER or quarter TO (insert hour here). For 30 we just said ____ thirty.

"after" and "to" are often used here too, along with "till" and "past" (but I don't think I've heard "of" with a time. I thought point was whether the "quarter" and "half" are being used rather than just ____:30, ____:15, ____:45. The really big change I am aware of is that with digital clocks and watches more prevalent I now often hear things like, "it is 7:13"--whereas it used to be that anything more or less from 7:10 to 7:20 was a quarter-past or a quarter-after 7. It seemed to signify that the precise accuracy of the time being given was not absolute. 7:13 sounds very precise, but may be off by a good bit depending on how the particular watch has been calibrated and set.

:lol::lol: I always thought it was an "American thing", being Canadian and all. :tongue_smilie:

I have never used "past", "'til", "of", or "half", and I've never heard anybody back home tell time in that way. We said quarter AFTER or quarter TO (insert hour here). For 30 we just said ____ thirty.

Yes, exactly. Me, too:

- a quarter after five

- five thirty

- a quarter to six