Menu

s/o wooden swingsets - about those and trampolines, too

So the wooden swingset thread got me thinking...I really wish we had one. :tongue_smilie:

Are they pretty expensive, on average? I see that a lot are priced at thousands+ ...that just isn't doable for us. :( Any suggestions for getting one cheaper?

Also, I"m planning on getting a trampoline for the kids in the next month or so - is there any difference? Are they all pretty much standard quality/etc? I was just going to go with something that looked ok from TRU...what size is good?

Thanks. :)

We picked up our trampoline at Walmart on Black Friday. It's 14' and we got it for only $149--a steal considering we got the safety enclosure too. My only pet peeve with it is that ds picked all the padding from the bar nearest the entrance. :glare: We can replace it, but it probably won't be the same color as the others, and that will bug me for all eternity, lol.

we got our wooden swingset for about $400 at either WM or TRU.....hasn't lasted as long as I had hoped like I posted in the other thread but am not sure if it was the quality or the rough play my son put it through over the past year or two-he has grown dramaticly since we first got it and likes to play rougher now than back then....

trampolines-kiddo got this one for xmas about 2yrs ago-it's lasted pretty good but he's the only jumper on it the netting does have a few holes but nothing HUGE and I'm "assuming" the netting can be easily replaced.....now if we had more kids we would have gotten a bigger trampoline of course....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Little-Tikes-7-First-Trampoline/16529105

Mine was purchased with money my parents gave me when my brother died. We consider it his ultimate chirstmas/birthday gift as he loved playing and would have had a blast playing with my kids on it. So it is in his memory.

That said, craigslist. Watch it like a hawk, free and very cheap show up often but do require sweat equity. Often you have to take down and then put back up.

We got our wooden playset in a kit plus wood form. You can buy the metal parts and plans and source your own wood locally own or buy the whole thing. It was jungle gym brand. It probably cost us about £200 nearly 8 years ago but wood has got a lot more expensive since then. We are about to add another arm to it and that will cost us about £250.

Hmm. There is a giant set at Sam's club for around $1500 and I wish we could get it... we got one at Lowe's over 7 years ago, and it took 3 men 2 full days to put it together! We were given a metal swingset last year too ( Like New) and that was one problem, not enough swings for our kids. Other than that, it is still in good shape, although the slide came off once it was easy to put back on. I wish the monkey bars were twice as long. We may just get a zip line this year!

Trampolines don't last in our yard due to tornadoes and wind... I really want another one, but 2 have been destroyed here. One knocked out all the side windows in my mini van last year!! Our kids are rough on them too, but they are good exercise.

We also have had 3 pools and won't get one this year as I am having a baby in May. Water slides and baby pools will have to do this year.

We live in the country too, so it is not a great place to ride bikes, but there is a park we go to some. Gardening and mowing will take up alot of our time this year I hope!

We looked for a wooden swingset for a long time, and also didn't want to pay thousands for one! We found a kit at Home Depot... it had all the hardware, swings, slide, etc., and a list for lumber that you bought separately. My DH built it over a weekend. It's very nice, has a little fort up top and everything. I believe with everything it ended up costing us around $600.

With spring coming up, most of the home improvement stores will probably have kits like this, so it may be a good time to price them out and look for a sale!!

So the wooden swingset thread got me thinking...I really wish we had one. :tongue_smilie:

Are they pretty expensive, on average? I see that a lot are priced at thousands+ ...that just isn't doable for us. :( Any suggestions for getting one cheaper?

Also, I"m planning on getting a trampoline for the kids in the next month or so - is there any difference? Are they all pretty much standard quality/etc? I was just going to go with something that looked ok from TRU...what size is good?

Thanks. :)

Yes. You can have mine if you come to my state and get it! ;) We are at the end of the playset era, I'm sad to say. It's weathered, but if you find a used one, you can powerwash it and it looks like new. You'd have to replace swings, as those plastic ones crack over the years.

But still....free is better than $1500 if you have the skill to disassemble and reassemble. People here do it all the time.

Yes. You can have mine if you come to my state and get it! ;) We are at the end of the playset era, I'm sad to say. It's weathered, but if you find a used one, you can powerwash it and it looks like new. You'd have to replace swings, as those plastic ones crack over the years.

But still....free is better than $1500 if you have the skill to disassemble and reassemble. People here do it all the time.

:lol: Where is your state? haha...

I'm keeping an eye out for a used one right now. I was just telling DH at lunch that the trampoline I'm intending to get the next time we go to Sam's, but that the wooden swingset/playset is kind of a pipe dream right now...hopefully we'll be able to find one. The kids were trying to play on our little metal swingset today and it was an epic fail. :(