Menu

My fun new fitness gadget!

I had some extra funds, which has been rare around here lately, so I splurged and got myself one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Striiv-Personal-Trainer-Your-Pocket/dp/B00546T5MY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330030797&sr=8-1

I always walk more with a pedometer, but this one makes walking so much fun! I’ve even been walking up and down stairs, on purpose! :D It was expensive, but so far I’ve gone from 8000 steps a day to about 15000. It has a little game included, plus it gives challenges throughout the day. I can also pick one of three charities to donate money to based on how much walking I do. I never thought it would be so motivational! Anyone else love the Striiv?

I recently bought a Fitbit which is pretty cool- but I don't know HOW you are managing that many steps a day!!!! I'm only getting around 8000 and that is if I WORK at it. The only day I got more than 10000 was a Sunday that we went hiking at a nature center- several trails! (It also tracks flights of stairs somehow- and the hills on the trail = 33 flights, so that was good!) Anyway, any tips on getting more steps in?!?!?

I recently bought a Fitbit which is pretty cool- but I don't know HOW you are managing that many steps a day!!!! I'm only getting around 8000 and that is if I WORK at it. The only day I got more than 10000 was a Sunday that we went hiking at a nature center- several trails! (It also tracks flights of stairs somehow- and the hills on the trail = 33 flights' date=' so that was good!) Anyway, any tips on getting more steps in?!?!?[/quote']

I do a one hour walking session at night, but otherwise I just walk whenever I have a moment. Cooking pasta today = 10 minutes, ds doing Dreambox math = 25 minutes, etc. It adds up. It will probably go down a bit after the newness wears off, but if I get a few thousand extra out of it a day, that is worth it to me. I don’t even do most of my walking outside. I do Leslie Sansone videos, or walk back and forth in my basement, up and down the stairs, etc. When I turn it on during the day to check my progress, it will show a challenge that I can accept or decline, like do 100 stairs in 15 minutes. That really motivates me more than I thought it would! Plus I’m building a little world with flowers and trees, animals and centaurs, etc. I earn coins to add to this world by walking and completing challenges. It’s silly, but fun!

ETA: I don’t know how accurate a Fitbit is, but the Striiv is very accurate. I’ve had pedometers in the past that were only getting 80% of my steps, or doubling steps on me. It’s definitely worth monitoring the accuracy and adjusting if necessary.

Edited by dsmith

I just realized that I bought something similar to the Striiv thing several months ago. It's not the FitBit, but I can't remember what it's called. I know it's pink and cute. I also know it's probably still in its package somewhere. It's not nearly as cool at the Striiv thing, though, but I guess I should try it before I buy something else.

Assuming I can ever remember where I put it.

I'm getting curious, so I guess I'll go try to find it. (I'll also count it as exercise, because I think it's probably upstairs, so it's practically a workout just getting up there. I mean, it's just a regular staircase and all, but I wasn't planning on going up there, so that's why it counts. :rolleyes:)

It sounds like a cool concept, but all those negative reviews would really concern me, especially with something so expensive! It looks like a lot of people said they stopped working within a few days to a month of having them. Not just the one and two star reviews, but even a bunch of people in the three and four star reviews said that! I hope that isn't the case with yours!

It sounds like a cool concept, but all those negative reviews would really concern me, especially with something so expensive! It looks like a lot of people said they stopped working within a few days to a month of having them. Not just the one and two star reviews, but even a bunch of people in the three and four star reviews said that! I hope that isn't the case with yours!

What I liked about the negative reviews (and some positive reviews that had issues) was every single one that was relevant was responded to by someone at the company. That alone makes me want to buy it. I adore great customer service, even though I rarely find it anymore. Now to convince someone I need it...:tongue_smilie:

After using a pedometer for years, I finally upgraded to a Fitbit. Wow- I love this thing! And it's TINY and just slips into my pocket. I do wear it at night to track my sleep but I'll probably stop that after a while.

I LOVE the weekly summaries, I love the encouragement, I love that this thing lets ME set goals.

Love, love, love my Fitbit.