Menu

Girl runs to death?!

Three hours with no water and no breaks? That's torture by any definition, and mix that with the child's death and yes I think it goes beyond manslaughter. I'm sure they aren't just blindly charging and can justify it within the code.

That's just wrong on so many levels for a child to die over candy bars.

Yes, it's incredibly sad. What's so frustrating is that so many called the police because they were concerned. They don't mention the police's response in the article I had read earlier, but they did mention that the fire department :confused: had been to the house and noted that something wasn't right. Why on earth didn't they do something? This is what CPS is for. How senseless.

Who cares if the grandmother meant to literally run her to her death; she at least meant to inflict abusive physical punishment, which is a felony.

Old English common law still holds that if a death occurs during the commitment of a felony, even if that death was not intended, then the perp can be charged with capital murder.

I knew a girl from high school who set fire to a couch on her boyfriend's porch, as a prank. The fire spread to the apartment building, killing five people. She was charged, and convicted, on five counts first degree murder. The basis for that conviction? The English common law I mentioned above.

This grandmother was at best criminally stupid and mean, and at worst, a sadistic child abuser. I don't care that she didn't intend to kill the girl outright--there are many child abusers and baby shakers out there who never intend to go that far. But their baser natures get the better of them, and children die as a result.

Lock her up for life. That's my opinion.

Three hours with no water and no breaks? That's torture by any definition, and mix that with the child's death and yes I think it goes beyond manslaughter. I'm sure they aren't just blindly charging and can justify it within the code.

That's just wrong on so many levels for a child to die over candy bars.

:iagree: I keep thinking that if it was a football or baseball coach that forced his team to practice for 3 hours with no breaks or water he would be hauled up on charges so fast and the community would be calling for his head, especially if a kid died later as a result.

:iagree: I keep thinking that if it was a football or baseball coach that forced his team to practice for 3 hours with no breaks or water he would be hauled up on charges so fast and the community would be calling for his head, especially if a kid died later as a result.

Or rather he might be called up for reckless homicide and still have tons crying foul/supporting him instead. It happened around here and here is the support.

The definition and what elements need be present inorder to sustain a murder charge differ by state. In Alabama here is the distinction summed up quite well. Murder Charges in Alabama

Under Alabama state law, murder is the intentional taking of a life or causing a death through gross recklessness. You can also be charged with murder if you're accused of causing a death while committing certain violent crimes, including arson that causes the death of a public safety official. The only exception is when the murder was committed in the heat of passion, which is most likely to be charged as manslaughter.

Manslaughter is a less serious form of murder. It's most likely to be charged when the murder was committed in the heat of passion and before the accused had time to calm down. It can also be charged when the accused behaved recklessly (very carelessly), but not with extreme indifference to human life. Manslaughter is a Class B felony carrying up to 20 years in prison.

Criminally negligent homicide is charged when the accused was "criminally negligent." Negligence is unreasonable carelessness; a failure to act to stop a death, for example, may be considered criminally negligent. Criminally negligent homicide is a Class A misdemeanor carrying up to a year in prison, but can also be charged for DUI homicide, in which case it's a Class C felony carrying up to 10 years in prison.

It is gross recklessness to have a child or anyone who is not a marathon runner run for three hours. They should be charged with murder.

How sad and senseless. :( They couldn't just do something like tell her she couldn't have dessert the next day if it had to be a big deal? Who the heck can exert themselves for HOURS with no drink or rest like that? Now a poor little girl is dead forever over a stupid candy bar? I just don't understand people. Maybe they couldn't have foreseen that it would come to that, but they had to know how harsh the "punishment" was. Life's too short to bring your children up harshly over minor indiscretions. You never know when they might be gone due to unforeseen circumstances. Or even just what they'll remember when they're grown and looking back. They're just kids. Love on them all you can and be gentle when you can. What a shame.

But if the fire department was there, and then let her continue to run, maybe the grandmother didn't realize the ramifications. If the girl was that bad off because of it, why didn't the fire department call the police? Or ??

I took this to mean that the fire department said that after responding to the 911 call, and that people were calling after she had collapsed. But I could be wrong. It isn't reported very well.

The sheriff's office received calls from concerned citizens who witnessed the girl running. No other details were released, but an official with the local volunteer fire department said rescuers thought something seemed odd when they responded to a call about the child.

"One of the ones who were down there said he didn't feel like everything was right," said Ruby Ward, vice president of the Mountainboro Volunteer Fire Department.

This story is so so strange. Not only is the grandmother charged but the stepmother is charged also. The grandmother is in jail and the stepmother is in the hospital after giving birth yesterday.

Here is the explanation about the charges:

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/17003807/attorney-explains-the-legal-situation-in-the-savannah-hardin-murder-case

Story about the stepmother giving birth:

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/17002457/stepmom-of-girl-who-died-gave-birth-on-arrest-day

Story about the murder:

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/16998676/2-charged-in-death-of-ala-girl-forced-to-run

This is taken from the Yahoo News article:

"The sheriff's office received calls from concerned citizens who witnessed the girl running. No other details were released, but an official with the local volunteer fire department said rescuers thought something seemed odd when they responded to a call about the child.

'One of the ones who were down there said he didn't feel like everything was right,' said Ruby Ward, vice president of the Mountainboro Volunteer Fire Department."

It seems, from this article, that the fire department responded to the calls they received and at least one of them noticed that things weren't right. I'm sure they feel terribly that they didn't do something, but it seems they didn't. And since it mentions that they were responding to calls from people who saw her running, she must have been alive at that time. Incredibly sad.