Menu

Dermatologists vent

Ugg. I have an odd spot that I need to see a dermatologist about. There are only a handful in my town. Most aren't taking new patients. The ones that are are booked until late summer. I found one that can get me in before summer and their policy is that you have to leave a credit card on file. Whatever insurance doesn't pay is billed to the card. They send out NO statements to tell you what you have been charged or why. Nice work if you can get it!!

I have a family member who is a dermatologist (for which I am very grateful because I know that most people have to wait a long time to be seen if they aren't already established patients). He has a long waiting list as well, but I do know that if a doctor calls him and asks to see a patient sooner, he will squeeze them in as a "professional courtesy". Could you have your regular doctor call a dermatologist on your behalf?

FWIW, I am a well-established patient, but my primary doctor did the initial biopsy because I called my dermatologist in December with a sore on my nose that was bleeding every day and they still couldn't get me in for a consult until February. I have heard that skin cancer is on the rise, and I believe it based on these very busy doctor schedules!!

Brenda

I'm sorry. Fall 2010 I had a funny mole taken off by my gp. It was melanoma. I was in and had surgery on the area within a month. Fortunately, it was contained and I've had no other funny moles since, but the practices you described do not happen at my dermatologist and I love her. She's the best doctor I've ever had.

Ugg. I have an odd spot that I need to see a dermatologist about. There are only a handful in my town. Most aren't taking new patients. The ones that are are booked until late summer. I found one that can get me in before summer and their policy is that you have to leave a credit card on file. Whatever insurance doesn't pay is billed to the card. They send out NO statements to tell you what you have been charged or why. Nice work if you can get it!!

Yes, this revolting practice has taken hold. My kids' dentist tried to do this, so I pay in full at the end of the appointment because I will NOT give them my credit card. They will still give me a form to send to insurance myself (as if dental insurance pays much today!), so I don't lose anything.