Menu

A little grammar fun

:) lol I make so many such mistakes, even when I do not want to do so. Even when I know better. How many times, let me count the ways have I erred... and heard about it. There is no mercy on the internet.

Comma splices...my brain muscle on that is mostly atrophied. And It's and Its. Let's pretend that's not a huge issue. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

My husband has been seeing these on facebook too and they annoy him so much, because technically most of these deal with spelling, punctuation, or something else that is not technically "grammar". I agree with him but I don't let it get to me. The word "grammar" has clearly changed in meaning for the average person, though it still means something different to us as linguists. Actually I was just reading a post about this last night: http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2012/02/22/its-all-grammar/

I have my usage peeves... but I also have a peeve about simplified rules!

E.g. "Affect" is also a noun and "effect" is also a verb!

And I don't buy that an apostrophe should never be used to form a plural. I think it's earned its place in some situations: "p's and q's" is surely more transparent than "ps and qs".:)

I have my usage peeves... but I also have a peeve about simplified rules!

E.g. "Affect" is also a noun and "effect" is also a verb!

I've never heard anyone suggest otherwise or claim that the rule applies in every instance. But really, when is the last time you heard anyone (correctly) use affect as a noun? It isn't even pronounced the same as the verb affect.

Edited by WordGirl

I was laughing so hard my kids came running in!

Oh my goodness I think I am a bit of a grammar snob. Of course, I do most of my typing on my iPhone so I can't possibly be held responsible for any of my own gramm.......I mean......typing errors.;)

Seriously, I looked back over what I wrote and the darn spell check thing had changed three of my words I had typed. I am so glad I looked it over. OK, I am going to check it all again!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've never heard anyone suggest otherwise or claim that the rule applies in every instance. But really, when is the last time you heard anyone (correctly) use affect as a noun? It isn't even pronounced the same as the verb affect.

It is used frequently in mental health. Ex.: He presented with flat affect.

I only clicked on one of the images, but noticed right away a few points of confusion. For example, "affect" and "effect" are both nouns and verbs, and "I could care less" can be used perfectly well in a sarcastic manner, though the inflection used with it doesn't typically convey that strongly. In addition, "irregardless" is a word whether we like it or not, and irregardless of any erroneous origins.

Edited by Iucounu

[...] In addition, "irregardless" is a word whether we like it or not, and irregardless of any erroneous origins.
I applaud your open-minded, descriptivist stance. It's funny though how thinking from an educational point of view changes things. I'm going to make jolly sure that my children know not to use "like" as a conjunction, and to use "as" as a conjunction, and so on, even though those things don't really annoy me at all. Because people judge you on that sort of stuff. They really do.