Menu

What kind of typing goals should we set?

I have kids who are reluctant writers, if not dysgraphic. I am having difficulty finding out what typing speed would be desirable and/or beneficial. My oldest currently types 20wpm on a typing instruction program. I type 60wpm. So all I figure is that it is somewhere between the two :P) I would like to forge ahead, practicing until we get to the point that would be expected of a middle schooler in keyboarding class.

Brownie

I think the minimum passing goal for a keyboarding class at a cc is 35 wpm. You might check and see if syllabi are posted at local ones online.

I got my son up to about 20 wpm when we stopped formal lessons (and I stopped painting over the keyboard as the paint wore off :D). I figure just typing will increase speed and I'll start testing him again in late middle school and work on speed then. I'd like him at 45+ wpm before high school, I think.

My 11y/o has been typing for about 4 months and types correctly at 16wpm. I told him that when he gets to 25, he may stop daily typing lessons and we'll just do speed tests 2x week. In the meantime, he types all of his IEW work. We'll see how this works! :)

Our goal for the end of the year for DD9 is 50 wpm. She started out at the beginning of the year as a complete novice (less than 10 wpm) and is now at 40 wpm. She does Type to Learn for 15 minutes 5 days/week. She plays piano,so that probably helps. I think the trick is to do a little bit every day. And she gets to pick out a new screen saver every time she improves by 10 wpm.

We set our goal based on her brother's 5th grade teacher requirements. He was required in 5th grade to type 15 minutes/night as homework, and his teacher kept increasing the time requirements as she tested the class each month until the entire class was typing 50 wpm. She said that she did it to improve their writing (and make the writing process more enjoyable) and to make the students more efficient for middle school.

HTH