Menu

Gardening Question

We sprouted some beans as a science-y follow-up to "The Everything Seed". They were actually dry beans from a 15 bean soup bag. I was surprised they sprouted at all!

But now DS wants to plant the sprouts in our garden. We have a 4X4 SFG raised bed. A. Can I plant more than one type of bean in such a small space? Would they cross-pollinate? He specifically wants the lima beans. Who knew he liked lima beans. But there are several other kinds of beans, and they are becoming increasingly hard to distinguish as they sprout.

And what about the split peas? Could peas go in the same garden bed?

Will they even produce? Like I said, I was surprised they sprouted.

TIA

We sprouted some beans as a science-y follow-up to "The Everything Seed". They were actually dry beans from a 15 bean soup bag. I was surprised they sprouted at all!

But now DS wants to plant the sprouts in our garden. We have a 4X4 SFG raised bed. A. Can I plant more than one type of bean in such a small space? Would they cross-pollinate? He specifically wants the lima beans. Who knew he liked lima beans. But there are several other kinds of beans, and they are becoming increasingly hard to distinguish as they sprout.

And what about the split peas? Could peas go in the same garden bed?

Will they even produce? Like I said, I was surprised they sprouted.

TIA

Planting beans can be a fun project. Unfortunately, since you live in MD, it is too early to plant lima beans and common beans (green beans which dry into navy, kidney, etc.) because they cannot tolerate frost. Late winter/early spring is a good time to plant garden (English) peas, but split peas will not grow because their cotyledons are separated.

Limas and common beans are best planted directly into the garden a week or two after the last frost date, which is in late April in most of MD (look yours up on the internet, or better yet, call your local extension office and ask). Beans can be transplanted, but it it is tricky to do so. Beans like warm weather, and limas like it hot.

Some beans grow very tall (pole or vining types), and some not-so-tall (bush beans). Limas, common beans, and peas can be one or the other, and you can't tell by looking at the seed. It is very likely that your beans will produce a crop, but if they are hybrids the beans will not be like the parent seeds.

Beans are self-pollinating, but can be cross-pollinated by wind and insects. Different types of beans can be planted near each other and still can remain true-to-type, but just one variety of each. For example, two different limas will cross with each other if they bloom at the same time, but you can plant a lima next to a common bean and they won't cross.

Limas take a long time to produce dry seeds, about 100 days.

I hope you have fun with your project!

GardenMom