Menu

List of bible verses/stories that tie to SOTW 1, & Christian book lists for ancients?

j_thurm

HI! I am still trying to figure out what to do for next year!!! I am trying to decide between SOTW 1 and HOD Preparing. My kids are from preschool through 4th for reference.

I have a few questions about SOTW 1:

1. I saw the site that tied SOTW 1with Egermeier and Vos bibles but I would prefer to read right out the Bible and would love to know if anyone has a list of bible verses that relate to the SOTW chapters.

2. I would also love if anyone has used a younger childrens' story Bible to tie to SOTW 1 like "The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name".

3. Also, does anyone have a list of living books/books that tie to ancient history with a Christian slant?

Thanks so much!!!

It's not so much that the Bible verses correlate with SOTW. What I think is even more interesting is interspersing the Bible history narratives with SOTW in chronological order.

When we studied SOTW1, it took 18 months because we did that. I used the Concordia Self-Study NIV Bible to figure out the dates, because it has a short essay at the beginning of each book that describes a fairly conservative scholarly POV on the dates that the events happened. It was so great!

I wish that I had written down how we did that. It comes up over and over. But I didn't.

Yes, that is what I mean but you said it so eloquently! I too, wish you would have written it down!!!! Thanks for the responses so far!

It's not so much that the Bible verses correlate with SOTW. What I think is even more interesting is interspersing the Bible history narratives with SOTW in chronological order.

When we studied SOTW1, it took 18 months because we did that. I used the Concordia Self-Study NIV Bible to figure out the dates, because it has a short essay at the beginning of each book that describes a fairly conservative scholarly POV on the dates that the events happened. It was so great!

I wish that I had written down how we did that. It comes up over and over. But I didn't.

Biblioplan has quite an extensive book list. It also tells you which bible stories corrolate with the chapters in SOTW but allows you the flexibility of using whichever bible you chose. We happen to use the Golden children's bible for the pictures but I much prefer the thoroughness of Vos bible.

Is the schedule of bible stories with SOTW part of Biblioplan, or is it something those of us who dont use Biblioplan can get access to?

Is the schedule of bible stories with SOTW part of Biblioplan, or is it something those of us who dont use Biblioplan can get access to?

Unfortuntely, it is part of biblioplan. They actually schedule everything out correspoding w/SOTW chapters. I think there must be a list of books for acient history and the bible somewhere, though. I just don't know where.

• 1 month later...

The first year I did history, I used sotw and veritas cards. There is a schedule out there that puts them together in chronological order on Paula's archives. If you know someone who has the cards and will tell you the titles of the stories, it will give you the right order. It took me two years to go through both. I'd love to know if anyone else has an outline of Biblical history integrated with sotw...

I did SOTW 1 with Vos and The Victor Journey Through the Bible. I split it all into 36 weeks with a fairly equal amount of pages per week, which meant I rearranged the order of SOTW a bit. I made a chart, wherein I listed not just chapter numbers, but the actual topics, so you could easily find the sections of the Bible that correspond. I posted it on my blog for anyone who is interested. http://mytidalpool.blogspot.com/p/homeschool-planning-history.html but don't bother looking for anything else interesting on my blog - I think I have about 4 posts. I just never have time to add anything.:tongue_smilie: Oh, and I plan to add Peril and Peace next time around too. I have used the other Withrow books with SOTW 2 and 3, but I didn't know about them when I did SOTW 1.

Wow! That is great! Thanks so much for the information! It is such a godsend!

I did SOTW 1 with Vos and The Victor Journey Through the Bible. I split it all into 36 weeks with a fairly equal amount of pages per week, which meant I rearranged the order of SOTW a bit. I made a chart, wherein I listed not just chapter numbers, but the actual topics, so you could easily find the sections of the Bible that correspond. I posted it on my blog for anyone who is interested. http://mytidalpool.blogspot.com/p/homeschool-planning-history.html but don't bother looking for anything else interesting on my blog - I think I have about 4 posts. I just never have time to add anything.:tongue_smilie: Oh, and I plan to add Peril and Peace next time around too. I have used the other Withrow books with SOTW 2 and 3, but I didn't know about them when I did SOTW 1.

THANKS Soooooooooooooooooooooooo MUCH -- I printed it

Thanks so much! Just requested a catalog!

Veritas Press intermingles Biblical stories with history, chronologically. For reading books check out their catalog, specifically the second grade and third grade history. (Their history sets are designed to teach grades 2-6, but they stick them to particular grades in the catalog and on their website.) The catalog lets you know which card each reading book aligns to, and from there you could use the Paula's Archive schedule that lines up VP and SOTW. VP also schedules Victor Journey on the cards.

The first year I did history, I used sotw and veritas cards. There is a schedule out there that puts them together in chronological order on Paula's archives. If you know someone who has the cards and will tell you the titles of the stories, it will give you the right order. It took me two years to go through both. I'd love to know if anyone else has an outline of Biblical history integrated with sotw...

Paula's Archive???