Menu

When do you let your daughter(s) wear make-up

My oldest wears a little translucent powder, lip gloss, and mascara some days. She doesn't think it's even worth it most of the time, lol. OTOH, she's asking about wearing more. She's pretty young, so I don't think it's happening any time soon. Anyway, I was just wondering when you let your dds wear make-up from the simple stuff like my dd is wearing now to full make-up.

BTW, I have no moral objections to make-up, obviously. If you do, I respect that, but please don't turn this into a "make-up is evil" thread. Thanks!

Never if I can avoid it. It is such a hassle and if she is beautiful enough to get away with it then that would be great. I would love to not wear makeup but I look awful without it. So it's definitely not something I would be in a hurry to let my daughter do.

And that is based entirely on practicality and not "morals". :D

Morally speaking, I wouldn't let my daughter wear "trashy" looking makeup no matter how old she was. So obviously, everything in moderation.

My mom let me wear lip gloss and very light pink eye shadow when I was about 14yo. I started wearing mascara at about 15 or 16.

Dd11 wears lip gloss now. I don't have a hard and fast rule about this. She has a 12yo friend who does wear make up, but she is in dance and needs to wear stage makeup. I think she uses a light hand for everyday and doesn't look bad. However, I am uncomfortable with my dd wearing more than lip gloss in a year. My general rule is, if from 10 feet away, I can tell you are wearing makeup, it is too much. She has worn blush for some choir performances when under harsh lights. So, basically, I am undecided other than now is too soon:).

I'm guessing you are talking about wearing it out of the house. Dd has had all my old make up since she was a toddler. There have been some interesting faces over the years. :D

But now at 12 she wears a bit of lip gloss out in public. If she has a really bad bout of acne she can wear concealer. We haven't figured out why, but she does not look good in eye makeup of any kind. Maybe by 15 she will be satisfied with foundation, powder, and blush.

My dd is only 6 so this hasn't come up. But, I remember my mom had a rule and would not allow me to wear makeup until I was 16. I really resented it. All my friends wore some around 7th grade.

I think I'll allow my dd to wear something when she asks. Right now she has play makeup that we jokingly call her war-paint! When she puts it on herself, that's what it looks like!

Hmm. Honestly, it's not something about which we had to make a rule. My daughter was doing theatre by the time she was 10-ish and wore stage makeup for that. She didn't have any interest in wearing anything daily until later.

I think she was 14-ish when she started wearing makeup out of the house when not onstage. If it had ever been a problem, we would have said something. But she's always been really good about applying it attractively and using good sense.

My dd's are 13 (and a half so they tell me). I just started letting them wear a bit of make-up. I told them they could wear mascara and lipstick/gloss, but nothing else. Dd 2 was pushing for eyeliner and eye shadow, and I told her she could be happy w/ the boundaries I gave her, or go back to none at all. She's very happy w/ her mascara and gloss! :D I think 16 sounds good for more, but I also think make-up is really bad for your skin, so I'm hoping they won't want too much more.

I don't remember when my dd19 started wearing full makeup, like foundation and everything. I am sure it wasn't as an early teen. Dd13 likes to wear light eyeshadow, mascara, and lip gloss. She doesn't wear the mascara heavy though. Her eyelashes are very light, almost invisible on the bottom. She hasn't shown an interest in anything else.

My general rule is, if from 10 feet away, I can tell you are wearing makeup, it is too much.

I like this. :001_smile:

I don't have girls, but I also have no moral objection to makeup, so I'm throwing in my two cents. :D

Even though I have no moral objection to makeup as a whole, I personally believe makeup should be worn to enhance your natual beauty, and not really be noticeable as 'makeup', iykwim. So for me, that would mean nothing that has any sort of 'unnatural' appearance. For example, most eye makeup would be out, as well as most lipsticks. Anything that my daughter wanted to wear in a natural looking way would be ok with me. Basically, if her father could look at her and not be sure if she had makeup on or not, then it would pass.

I wear foundation, concealer when I need it, powder, and blush. Now, I think the difference between me in no makeup versus me in makeup is like night and day. Dh, however, cannot ever say if I have makeup on or not. Not sure if that's a compliment, or if dh is very unobservant. :D But either way, that's the look I'm shooting for; my natural look, just a bit 'evened out' if you will. And that's what I'd teach my girls, if I had any. I don't think we'd make a rule regarding age, but more of an 'I'd teach them how to apply what they want to wear when they ask about it'. I'd secretly be hoping that they'd never want to start wearing any, but if they did, it wouldn't be a big deal.

First makeup happens the Christmas after they turn 13, and mom picks it out. Light mascara, neutral lipstick, and powder to cut down on shine. If mom or dad notices the makeup, you have to go back and try again until it's natural-looking.

After dd has proven her ability to apply sparingly and well, then they can have pretty much whatever they'd like, as long as it still follows the rule about what happens if we notice they're wearing too much.

Any protestation about parental judgment would earn confiscation of makeup for a week or two (that hasn't happened though).

So far, it's worked well for both dds, though older has been sent back to re-do a couple of times, mostly because she tends to overdo the mascara and ends up with clumps/racoon eyes. Younger dd is determined to outdo older dd, by never ever giving us a reason to send her back for a re-do. Win! :D

My DD has been wearing it on stage since she was 3, and perhaps as a result, has NO desire to wear it any other time:001_smile:. I'm hoping that holds until she's at least high school age. I am wondering, though, if there's anywhere I can send her to learn to apply it tastefully when she gets older. I never wear it-and one reason why is that I don't know how to apply it well. I let the hair/makeup expert moms do it for performances. (let me fix costume mishaps with thread, needle, hot glue, and safety pins any day!)

I let my daughter do what she wanted though I could veto it for leaving the house. But around the house, practicing putting it on, etc? I didn't mind. That started at about age 9. By 13, she couldn't have cared less. She will occasionally put a tiny bit on now, but it really isn't her thing. I think that being low key about it kept it easier going altogether. Of course, her personality probably helps.

I don't know if it'll be so easy for my little daughter. I like some of what is in this thread for guidelines...natural looking, not obvious from a short distance, etc.

Edited by 2J5M9K

We didn't have a strict rule about this, but I think that when one of my older girls started wearing it in 8th grade (what is that -- about 13 or 14?), I felt okay about it. They've always been careful about how they use it, don't overdo it. Another daughter started wearing make-up powder even earlier because she had acne so young, and that was fine. Otherwise, if they started to wear much make-up: mascara, eyeshadow, etc., younger than 7th grade, I think I would have encouraged them to hold off a bit. I want them to always feel they are lovely enough as is, that they don't need make-up to be beautiful. I've never encouraged them to use it, but I'm not against it either.

DD12 (13 next month) and her friends do alot of stage work so they are all kind of accustomed to wearing stage make up for.....well, the stage.

B/c she wants to wear the tiniest amount for cotillion and stuff like that, I took her to Elizabeth Arden Salon and had them do a complimentary make up lesson and application -- they are notorious for being so light in their application that one truly looks like they are not wearing any make up at all -- hence, the reason I brought dd there ;).

I purchased the palest eye shadow that they used and the palest lip color. She is happy, I am happy, she looks lovely.

We don't have rules about it, but this is how it's worked out so far:

Lipgloss--11yo

Lipstick (lt pink)--12yo

Mascara, Powder--13yo

Whatever--14yo

The girls just have a casual interest in makeup, so they don't wear it every day. I usually make them put on lipstick, but that's because they both have a bad habit of picking their lips and it helps them remember not to do it.

Well, when I was 11, I had an Avon cheeseburger with 2 shades of lip gloss, a bunch of Bonne Bell lip gloss & Lip Smackers, and a bottle of Love's Baby Soft. I did regular make-up for shows/recitals, but it would've looked weird for everyday.

Sometimes I see little girls in a store or something wearing full, regular make-up, and it just looks so odd. It really bothers me.

I started to wear concealer, mascara, lip gloss, and sometimes eye shadow in 8th grade, so 14. That was the age that everyone I knew started to wear make-up, lol. One of my friend's moms had a Mary Kay party for us, and a lady showed us how to apply things "lightly" and appropriately.

My 13 y.o. has no interest in wearing make-up. She does have some great deep turquoise blue foundation that she wore when she dressed up as Aayla Secura from Star Wars. She won a contest in that. :D On a daily basis, though, we remind her to use Chapstick.

My 5 y.o., on the other hand, may be completely different... We'll see...

I guess if mine wanted to, I'd start them out with sheer things and work up to more as they got older, like I did.

Edited by Sugarfoot

We allowed shiny, translucent lip gloss and a teeny bit of light, sparkly eye shadow around age 11. We told her we would let her add mascara, blush, and foundation at age 13; we gave that to her for Christmas that year, which was almost 3 months after her 13th birthday.

HV (my "extra student") is only 12, but her mom has let her wear full make-up: foundation, blush, liner, eye shadow, lip color for over a year now. :glare: She tries to look a lot older than she is, and it's working. Most of her "boyfriends" (don't get me started!) have been 15 or 16.

My oldest is 10 and she has zero interest in makup at this point. My youngest is 8 and has already asked to wear blush and lipstick. Dh and I decided that they need to wait until they were in their teens. But will revisit it as they get closer to that age.

At 12 my girls are allowed to wear powder, blush, lip gloss and eye shadow. The have dark lashes so don't need mascara.

At 14, we add eyeliner, foundation, and lipstick.

I have one dd that has a large birthmark on the side of her face, so I allowed her to start using foundation at age 12. But usually she skips the foundation, so I guess it doesn't really matter so much to her.

This is a hard one for me. My daughter is 11. Lots if her friends wear makeup and that's fine with me. My daughter just looks so young for her age. She's small...usually she'll be the same size as the 8 or 9 year olds in a group of children. Recently she expressed a desire to learn how to apply makeup so she wouldn't feel left out at sleepovers where makeovers are apparently a common activity. I happened to be visiting my salon the next day and the makeup lady had an opening and gave her a lesson. It was great. She still doesn't wear any makeup, but I might pick some up for her to use at parties.

FTR, she does wear very dark and hideous makeup for cheerleading performances, so I think she won't have any desire to wear strong colors for every day. That stuff is hard to remove. :laugh: I might share a picture if I can do it easily.

dd12 has worn it before for cheerleading, and I have allowed it in light pinks for portraits. For everyday use she will have to be a minimum of 13 and be faithfully cleansing her face for months before so that I know she won't be leaving the makeup on in bed etc. At 12.5 right now she has no interest in makeup beyond the things I have already allowed so there has been no concerns with it yet.

Mine likes lip gloss. I've suggested powder here and there to cover some of the acne and shine when we go out, but not much motivation unless I suggest it. I know a local make-up lady who does teen lessons that are very tasteful and fun, so we'll probably go that way when there is interest.

This is a hard one for me. My daughter is 11. Lots if her friends wear makeup and that's fine with me. My daughter just looks so young for her age. She's small...usually she'll be the same size as the 8 or 9 year olds in a group of children. Recently she expressed a desire to learn how to apply makeup so she wouldn't feel left out at sleepovers where makeovers are apparently a common activity. I happened to be visiting my salon the next day and the makeup lady had an opening and gave her a lesson. It was great. She still doesn't wear any makeup, but I might pick some up for her to use at parties.

FTR, she does wear very dark and hideous makeup for cheerleading performances, so I think she won't have any desire to wear strong colors for every day. That stuff is hard to remove. :laugh: I might share a picture if I can do it easily.

YOu sound like you are talking about my dd12, right down to the cheerleading. (Though she has not been in for 2 seasons now). She is also very small/young looking for her age. At age 12.5 she is 61 lbs and just moved into a size 10 slim pants.

Has anyone researched non-toxic make-up? I have no objections to my dd wearing make-up (applied to look natural) but I am concerned about the ingredients.

The make up dd has worn for pictures has been my mineral makeup. I do use department store stuff too (it is cheaper), but for her I prefer the mineral makeup. If she was to start wearing it daily I would likely switch her to department store stuff despite the ingredients just due to the cost.

:laugh: I just looked through the horrific cheer make up pictures and really they look fine on camera. It's funny because it's really strong make up, but I guess it suits the purpose and does help them to look natural onstage. Funny stuff.

Anyway, this is my daughter after her makeover and make up lessons. The woman did a really nice job and while my daughter looks lovely, she doesn't look made up or trashy or anything.

IMG_0674.jpg

:laugh: I just looked through the horrific cheer make up pictures and really they look fine on camera. It's funny because it's really strong make up, but I guess it suits the purpose and does help them to look natural onstage. Funny stuff.

Anyway, this is my daughter after her makeover and make up lessons. The woman did a really nice job and while my daughter looks lovely, she doesn't look made up or trashy or anything.

Your daughter is beautiful. Her make-up is so natural I couldn't tell she was wearing any! That's the look I would like my dd to have too.

There is not exactly a rule here so, my oldest just kind of fell into it. A bit here a bit there but she knows I will have no problem scrubbing her face if she tries to look like a gypsy. She even will ask if I think this is OK. I guess it depends on the child and the behavior and all.

She has had it taken away a couple of times for not behaving like leaving it all over my counter, leaving it out when her sister was small and could ruin my house with it stuff like that.

don't have a girl but if we did,I guess it would be close to teen years--within exceptions of course-I would hopefully teach her how to take care of her skin too and just slap on makeup LOL---lip gloss/balm/powder/blush/eye shadow/mascara.....I was allowed to so I don't see a reason why she couldn't if she wanted to....

Your daughter is lovely! I also can't tell she is wearing makeup in that picture.

My dd hasn't want to yet, but I think I would be fine with Burt's Bees color on the lips and a little light blusher. I don't think I would OK anything on the eyes. If she had some pimples she wanted to conceal, I would let her use a little medicated tint. Probably at age 13. If there was a special occasion or fancy party; she was a bridesmaid or something, I'd let her wear whatever the other girls were wearing. If she started wanting very heavy makeup on a daily basis, I would find that concerning, and we'd have some gentle talks about why etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

Sweet. When I look at my dd's ballet performance photos it doesn't look heavy at all. When we're applying it backstage, I do get heart palpitations. They look totally washed out under the stage lights without it. Same for stadium lighting.

IMG_0674.jpg

Edited by LibraryLover

Dd is 12, almost 13. Lip gloss has been allowed for a year or two now. A few months ago I got her some clear mascara. For Christmas, I put a couple of small neutral color eyeshadows in her stocking. Occasionally she will wear some Cover Girl pressed powder. She likes makeup and I am "allowing" it and at the same guiding color choices etc.

What I am finding is that, since she is allowed to wear it, she doesn't choose to wear it often. When she does , it is barely noticeable.

First year of middle school. We started with mascara, light blush and lip gloss. The 15 year old pretty much has free license as she has a good hand for it. She wears foundation (I have no idea why), eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss with the occassional brushing of glitter. She went through a year where she wore her eye liner and mascara a little dark and I didn't care for the look at all but over time she discovered that it wasn't the best look for her and lightened it on her own. The 12 year old wears blush, eyeshadow, mascara and lip glosses. She has a tendency to be a bit heavy handed and I frequently have to tell her to tone it down a bit. I think that with experience she will get better at application.