Menu

Latin Question - Big Book of Lively Latin

imhim

Hi,

I am new at Latin. I have a 3rd and 1st grader and we are finishing up Song School Latin. I have bought Latin for Children with the dvds, because I know they will enjoy it. But I just read WTM and it recommends "Big Book of Lively Latin" - which is $55.

Has anyone used it? How is it different than LAtin for CHildren? Should I get it as a supplement? Any other supplement for Latin for Children?

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer.

We did LfC A last year, I bought the entire set and my ds (who was in grade 4) was miserable. He liked it but he retained nothing and he was also playing the online games too.

This year, I went back to Lively Latin (something I bought years ago) and it has been a hit. He has remembered so much and is having fun with it. He said the way it is presented makes more sense to him than how LfC was presented.

I haven't looked at Lively Latin but we used SSL then Prima Latina and are now 10 chapters in to Latin for Children and my dd loves it. She is probably working on a 3rd or 4th grade level and it seems like the right amount of challenge for her. We bought Minimus and a book of Mythology in Latin to supplement but with the website and the activity book that goes with each chapter it is not necessary to supplement.

With every curriculum there will be people who love it and people who hate it. Since you already have it I would try it for a while and see if it is a good fit before buying anything else.

With every curriculum there will be people who love it and people who hate it. Since you already have it I would try it for a while and see if it is a good fit before buying anything else.

:iagree:

If you really aren't sure if you will keep it, maybe you could have her do it orally or photocopy the pages (check the copyright) so you can resell the book more easily if it turns out to not work well for your family.

We are in Ch. 13 of LFC A. My 9yo 3rd grader is doing well w/ it, though he doesn't usually get excited about Latin. He enjoys certain aspects of it (the weekly English derivatives page, DVD "extras" on some chapters, Clash Cards, and the Tale of Two Princesses video on the website). He complains about all the writing and how he doesn't often have room to write what is asked of him. I don't want him to hate Latin, so I am going to have a talk w/ him and see if doing more of it orally would make a difference to him.

I, personally, think the program is great. The pace is good and the explanations are clear. I do not know Latin but took French in high school and college and feel like that is helping me a great deal in both vocabulary and grammar concepts. I am learning along w/ him, which he likes.

If it turns out that his general unexcitedness (if that's a word) about Latin turns into strong dislikedness even after doing more of the work orally, I may check out something else, like LL. I am definitely in the parts-to-whole camp.