Menu

Advice Needed About Dental Fillings

I have never had a cavity before and now I have several...I have to get fillings, but I am not 100% sure what to get and wanted to ask advice...My choices are between composite (some sort of plastic glass substance that will match my teeth color) or amalgams (silver substance)...I want the composite because it matches my teeth color, but I have heard that it doesn't last as long as the silver ones and it is 3 times the price...I really don't want silver metal in my mouth, but I also am not sure if it is worth it to spend so much for the composite, then it doesn't last...

My question is do you have any experience with either of these options?...Do you have composite and it worked out fine and is lasting?...Do you have silver and it is fine?

:willy_nilly: I really wish I didn't have to have any of this done and I am kind of nervous...Neither choice seems good to me and porcelain is not an option...

I have a mouth full of white fillings. I had a shady dentist who filled every nook and cranny of every one of my adult molars when I was a kid. My parents fell for his scheming and paid top $$ for the composite back then. Well the good news out of all of this is that I still have them and they are in good shape. Some are probably 20+ years old and the technology and materials has only improved since then. The only issue I have had, which is really a non-issue, is that because they were done so long ago I do have some staining around the edges. No big deal really, but scary when visually it looks like new cavities forming. Ive also had no tooth/filling sensitivity from them.

I have both. The silvery from long ago (nary a problem) and one composite about 10 yrs ago. The silver were done as a child. I never had any sensitivity from them from the second they were put in. The composite felt "wrong"/sensitive for over a year. From what I have read (since I was having trouble) it isn't unusual for the composite fillings to take a long time to feel normal. For me, I would go with the silver unless they were in teeth that really showed. Dentists here don't even offer the option. If I ever need another filling, I will request the amalgams.

I have a ton of composite fillings and I have never had a problem. I used to have a lot of silver but they have been slowly replaced over time and I am so excited about how much better my mouth and my smile looks. Makes me feel younger too. I used to get so depressed looking at all the silver in my mouth and thinking about how much my teeth where deteriorating.

My dentist will no longer do amalgam fillings. I don't believe I pay anymore for the composit ones. I think if you go with the white fillings you will be very pleased because your teeth will come out looking like nothing was done to them.

Sorry you have cavities now - I had my first at 38, and till then never understood my DH's dread of dental visits. Now I get it. (Really, it's not that bad to have them filled, I just hate the bad news.)

Have you compared your insurance coverage of each option? Can you afford the composite?

If possible... I'd suggest the composite fillings. Not only for looks, but for health reasons. Amalgams have controversy around them, and many people think they are unhealthy (think mercury content and other toxins). I know several people who have sought out special dentists to have all of their amalgams removed and replaced with composite. I was skeptical about this, but even our family practice doctor is adamant about composite only.

DH and I both have composite fillings. DH's are older than mine by several years, but both of us have had good experiences with them. Our kiddos only get composite, too.

Oh, and FWIW, my stepmum has had issues in her cheeks, due to old amalgam fillings - some kind of staining on the inner cheek. I can't remember the details now, but it cemented our decision to go with composite.

Oh, just read the above posts - if you can find a BPA composite that would be ideal!

Sorry you have cavities now - I had my first at 38, and till then never understood my DH's dread of dental visits. Now I get it. (Really, it's not that bad to have them filled, I just hate the bad news.)

Have you compared your insurance coverage of each option? Can you afford the composite?

If possible... I'd suggest the composite fillings. Not only for looks, but for health reasons. Amalgams have controversy around them, and many people think they are unhealthy (think mercury content and other toxins). I know several people who have sought out special dentists to have all of their amalgams removed and replaced with composite. I was skeptical about this, but even our family practice doctor is adamant about composite only.

DH and I both have composite fillings. DH's are older than mine by several years, but both of us have had good experiences with them. Our kiddos only get composite, too.

Oh, and FWIW, my stepmum has had issues in her cheeks, due to old amalgam fillings - some kind of staining on the inner cheek. I can't remember the details now, but it cemented our decision to go with composite.

Oh, just read the above posts - if you can find a BPA composite that would be ideal!

Yes, I have compared the cost...The silver would cost me less than $200, while the composite will cost me much more because I will go over my insurance allowance and end up paying $800 for them...So I am looking at an extra $600 to get composite...We are on a budget now, but DH says I should get the composite because it looks better and I will feel better about them than going from nothing to a mouth full of metal (I have 10 cavities)...He says he thinks of it as a health expense and not to feel guilty about it, but I guess I do a little :001_unsure:...We would take money from our tax return (which we already have) to pay for it...

Yes, I have compared the cost...The silver would cost me less than $200, while the composite will cost me much more because I will go over my insurance allowance and end up paying $800 for them...So I am looking at an extra $600 to get composite...We are on a budget now, but DH says I should get the composite because it looks better and I will feel better about them than going from nothing to a mouth full of metal (I have 10 cavities)...He says he thinks of it as a health expense and not to feel guilty about it, but I guess I do a little :001_unsure:...We would take money from our tax return (which we already have) to pay for it...

Just an idea regarding the going over allowance...

Perhaps you could get the 'worst' cavities filled now, and then get the rest filled whenever your benefit year resets? If you have 10 cavities, I'd imagine some of them are worse than others. Perhaps talk to your dentist, and see if there are any cavities that can wait a bit to be filled. I know our benefits reset on Jan. 1 each year, which resets our $1000 coverage maximum. So I'd split the work up, if possible. Besides, is your dentist really going to fill ten cavities at once?! That seems like an awful lot of work to do at once. Plus, depending where the cavities are, you could basically end up with your entire mouth needing to be numbed.

Just an idea.

Just an idea regarding the going over allowance...

Perhaps you could get the 'worst' cavities filled now, and then get the rest filled whenever your benefit year resets? If you have 10 cavities, I'd imagine some of them are worse than others. Perhaps talk to your dentist, and see if there are any cavities that can wait a bit to be filled. I know our benefits reset on Jan. 1 each year, which resets our $1000 coverage maximum. So I'd split the work up, if possible. Besides, is your dentist really going to fill ten cavities at once?! That seems like an awful lot of work to do at once. Plus, depending where the cavities are, you could basically end up with your entire mouth needing to be numbed.

Just an idea.

I thought about this and we have the same insurance reset and benefits that you describe...Can I really wait a year (until next January) to get a filling?...I was afraid my teeth would rot away by then :tongue_smilie:...The dentist wants do it over two or three visits...

My husband and I have both ended up getting the composite on back fillings because the silver fillings just wouldn't stick (the cavities weren't deep enough). But no, the insurance wouldn't pay because they called it a "cosmetic" expense.

I've only had mine a couple months. My husband has had his for a couple years. Neither of us has noticed any issues with them. In the short term, anyway.

Here's another comparison:

http://www.rodale.com/dental-fillings-mercury-and-bpa?page=0,0

Well, you mentioned in your op that you've never had a cavity before. So my question is, how long has it been since you were last at the dentist?

I ask because I'm guessing it's either been a long time, which is why you have 10 cavities, or you recently switched dentists, and the new one has discovered the ten cavities.

If it's been a while, and that's why all the cavities, then yeah, I'd think it'd be fine to wait and get the less urgent cavities filled when your benefits reset. Unless they're causing you pain, I can't imagine anything horribly drastic could happen to a small cavitiy in 9 months. If it's been, say, five years since you've had a check up, then think about it; the 'worst' cavities have been developing for a matter of years, right?

BTW, I'm not judging. :D I got two wisdom teeth pulled when I was 17, and the experience was so traumatic for me that I didn't go back to the dentist for 15 years. I finally got the courage up to go two years ago, and I had one big cavity and a few small ones. But I also lost my back two molars on the top, because I let my top two wisdom teeth come in and fall out all on their own. That's how afraid of the dentist I was! Well, the wisdom teeth grew in at an angle, pushing out the back two molars as they came in. So I let four teeth fall out all on their own instead of going to the dentist. So, yeah. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, if that's not the case, but rather you've switched dentists and that's why you've now have 10 cavities, I'd be getting a second opinion. I've heard too many horror stories of dentists wanting to fill every last thing that might possibly maybe eventually turn into a cavity.

JMO. Now if you ask your dentist if you can wait on some of the fillings, he'll likely strongly encourage you to get them all done now. Because he won't want you to say your gonna wait, but really not come back and get them done. :D But if you just tell him 'Look, I want to use my dental benefits to the max, reducing what I have to pay out of pocket. What can you do to work with me; what cavities could wait nine months to be filled?', chances are he'll have some ideas.

One more thought... Get another opinion.

It sounds like you are not very prone to decay, since you made it this long with no cavities. Is this a new (to you) dentist? Some dentists are more apt to fill areas where another might take a wait-and-see approach. I think, for 10 cavities - I'd go for a second opinion.

(BTW, when we moved cross country and changed dentists this happened to me. I had a dentist want to do 14 fillings! This after having seen an excellent dentist for years. I was shocked. We found another dentist - who did 3 fillings, and all the other spots have been fine. Whew. So the dentist can make a difference. And some are unscrupulous.)

Just read bethany's post above, and I see we're on the same page here. :)

Edited by Spryte

Well, you mentioned in your op that you've never had a cavity before. So my question is, how long has it been since you were last at the dentist?

I ask because I'm guessing it's either been a long time, which is why you have 10 cavities, or you recently switched dentists, and the new one has discovered the ten cavities.

One more thought... Get another opinion.

It sounds like you are not very prone to decay, since you made it this long with no cavities. Is this a new (to you) dentist? Some dentists are more apt to fill areas where another might take a wait-and-see approach. I think, for 10 cavities - I'd go for a second opinion.

(BTW, when we moved cross country and changed dentists this happened to me. I had a dentist want to do 14 fillings! This after having seen an excellent dentist for years. I was shocked. We found another dentist - who did 3 fillings, and all the other spots have been fine. Whew. So the dentist can make a difference. And some are unscrupulous.)

Just read bethany's post above, and I see we're on the same page here. :)

Both...This is a new to me dentist (the boys go to this dentist and haven't had any problems), but I have not gone to the dentist in almost 10 years :leaving: ...So I am not sure...DH went to the dentist when I went and he has no cavities (several from the past but no new ones)...

Both...This is a new to me dentist (the boys go to this dentist and haven't had any problems), but I have not gone to the dentist in almost 10 years :leaving: ...So I am not sure...DH went to the dentist when I went and he has no cavities (several from the past but no new ones)...

Ok, well in that case, here is what my thinking would be. If it's been ten years since you've been, I can't imagine letting the smaller cavities wait a matter of months to fill would make much difference at all.

In fact, if it was *me*, and none of the cavities were hurting me right now, this is what I'd do, just to avoid any sort of disagreement/confrontation whatever with the dentist. Since it's the end of Feb right now, I'd simply wait until October to go back for my next cleaning. At that point, I'd discuss a timeline with the dentist for getting the cavities filled, which would include doing however much work would be within my coverage allowance for this calendar year, and then scheduling the rest of the work for after Jan. 1 when my coverage resets.

But, I like to avoid confrontation like that. :tongue_smilie: Of course, if any of the cavities were hurting me, I'd get what work done now that would be covered, and just have to suck it up and tell the dentist that I'll be waiting until after Jan. 1 to do the rest. My dentist, who I really like, wouldn't be thrilled about it, since his main goal is to get and keep my teeth in the best health possible. But he's also human, and understands we all have budgets to work within, so he'd agree to it.

Best of luck whatever you decide. And, don't feel bad about not going for ten years. Look at it another way; you are now taking control of your dental health, and that's a good thing. Focus on that.

There is mercury in amalgam fillings... but because of the composition of the combined metals, it is stable and doesn't leech out. Amalgam can also "withstand higher chewing loads".

http://www.ada.org/3094.aspx#amafillings

I recommend sticking with the amalgam for the back teeth, and going with the composites for the front teeth.