Menu

Your favorite resources?

fraidycat

I've pretty much got all of the curriculum ordered that we'll be using to round out the rest of school for us for this year.

Now, I need to concentrate on building our own resource and supplies section to help our days run smoother.

Can you tell me what is the best, or your favorite:

Dictionary?

Atlas?

Math Manipulatives? Specific, please - as in which brand or set?

What else is handy to have around?

As a reminder:

DD9 - 4th

DS6 - K/1st

Curriculum choices:

Phonics Pathways, MCT Island Series, MM/MEP/LOF, WWE 1&4, SOTW1, Galloping the Globe, BFSU, D'Nealian Handwriting, HTTS w/HTS 1&3, Artistic Pursuits

I LOVE cuisenaire rods. They have been amazing for math. I did a blog post on them here that will help explain their use if you are unfamiliar with them. I picked up the linked set from amazon after discussing here on what type to get. (Stay away from the linking rods) These rods and a good set of base ten flats are a must for any homeschooling house.

I recently starting purchase books illustrated by Paul O Zelinksky after repeated renewals from the library. They are just great visually and I wanted them in my home library.

For my house, the Charlie's Playmat Evolution Playmat has been a wonderful resource that we have utilized often. Obviously if you are young earth and not planning on teaching evolution I would skip this. :tongue_smilie: If you are interested you can see some of the things we did with our timeline playmat here.

My dh originally tried talking me out of purchasing this microscope for our young girls. His mindset was that we should wait until they are older. I am so glad I didn't wait because my girls LOVE it and request to put things under their scope often.

This is the dictionary we purchased. I used MacMillen's when I was a kid and found an updated edition at Goodwill one day.

Also, things like a laminator, paper cutter, and decent printer have been invaluable to have in my home.

I'll try to think some more. I'm sure there are more things that I couldn't live without but so far these are what popped out in my head.

I've pretty much got all of the curriculum ordered that we'll be using to round out the rest of school for us for this year.

Now, I need to concentrate on building our own resource and supplies section to help our days run smoother.

Can you tell me what is the best, or your favorite:

Dictionary?

Webster's

Atlas? a small Rand-McNally for quick look ups, Nat. Geographic for more detail, Kingfisher historical, and a globe

Math Manipulatives? Specific, please - as in which brand or set? MUS- 2 sets

What else is handy to have around? paper various types, extra pencils--they vanish mysteriously, art supplies, scissors, etc., Oxford (?) Concise Encyclopedia for quick look ups gets much use. (I had an Encyclopedia Britannica in book form which I much regret parting with. I thought between library and computer it was not needed, and it took up space much needed for other things, but it was nice to have. Not quite enough regret to try to replace it, however.) Nat Geog. Book of Knowledge, and NG Concise World History, we have a law dictionary, medical dictionary, Merck Manual, Merck Veterinary Manual and other animal care books, and various organic gardening books and cookbooks, all of which get consulted fairly often, not quite sure if they all would quite count as "school supplies" from most people's pov--but cooking and gardening seem to be a part of school sometimes. Strunk & White Elements of Style... 3-ring binders, hole punch. Some games and books that travel well.

As a reminder:

DD9 - 4th

DS6 - K/1st

Curriculum choices:

Phonics Pathways, MCT Island Series, MM/MEP/LOF, WWE 1&4, SOTW1, Galloping the Globe, BFSU, D'Nealian Handwriting, HTTS w/HTS 1&3, Artistic Pursuits

Dictionary? I have a big red Webster's New College Dictionary Third Edition sitting on my table that gets used most days of the week, and it has never disappointed me. Along with this, I highly recommend The ABC's and All Their Tricks if you don't already have it.

Atlas? I don't know that I have an atlas, but I have a globe. Round is better for my kids.

Math Manipulatives? Specific, please - as in which brand or set? the Right Start Abacus is great for first grade along with a deck of cards and set of dice.

What else is handy to have around? hmm, looking around my table to see what is handy...a big set of Prismacolor colored pencils, an electric pencil sharpener, extra scissors, and a digital microscope is the way to go if you have extra to spend. I also have a couple of dogs and a bird handy, but I'm not sure of their eduational value.

Thank you for the help. I will have a look at everything and make some decisions.

LOL at the dogs and bird. The kids have a couple cats and they could have some educational value in responsibility. However, apparently my parenting skills are a lacking, as the cats would have the dirtiest litter box and get fat and unhealthy off treats instead of food if the full responsibility fell to the kids.