Menu

ILL vs. English for the Thoughtful Child? Simply Grammar?

faiths13

I have been using Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl from Google Books for free. I was looking around for a copy to buy to make it easier and came across English For The Thoughtful Child. It also looks great. I also have a copy of Simply Grammar from the library. I really like the ILL and I like adding in SG for more grammar. But Im wondering if EFTTC would be better then ILL? Has anyone used both? Do you think using one of those and SG too is too much of the same thing? Thanks!!

They are not comparable. EFTTC is for first and second grade. Serl's ILL is for fourth and fifth grades. ILL would be more suitable for your students' ages.

I think that SG and ILL would be "too much of the same thing". I didn't like SG much when I looked at samples online. ILL is more interesting.

This hardcover edition of ILL is the cheapest, I think.

Hope that helps you make a decision.

They are not comparable. EFTTC is for first and second grade. Serl's ILL is for fourth and fifth grades. ILL would be more suitable for your students' ages.

I think that SG and ILL would be "too much of the same thing". I didn't like SG much when I looked at samples online. ILL is more interesting.

In addition, I remember reading reviews in several places that Simply Grammar was not as good. We love PLL and I just received ILL and Teacher's Guide in the mail yesterday. This will be our main grammar program for next year, in conjunction with a Galore Park Junior English Book 2/3, alternating days. I added GP as a supplement because ds asked me for more creative assignments. Instead of comprehension questions I have him narrate. It also gets him used to reading modern pieces, including informational ones.

Edited by sagira

Helpful post. I picked up EFTTC at a used curricuclum sale last year and I was wondering if it was any good.

I've been very happy with both PLL and ILL. ILL is for 4-6th gr. range. I haven't used Simply Grammar so I can't compare.I find Serl's materials to be thorough and covers a lot of ground.

How about using reading Grammar-Land aloud and have them use the worksheets--http://www.hslaunch.com/mypage/profile/525

I have a two 11 yr. olds and they are in ILL and we do Grammar-Land 1x a week. They've learned alot from GL. Come ages 13, I will have them do Our Mother Tongue alongside Write with the Best.

Also, the Teacher's Guide for ILL is a must, IMO. I got the ILL hardback and its TG from Amazon.

HTH,

Rachel

**amendment: I just went and looked at the samples and age range (up to 8th) for SG and I actually think it would complement ILL since it's focus is strictly on Grammar, whereas ILL is LA in general. I still recommend GL and the worksheets, but I don't know how old your oldest is (I guess I shouldv'e looked) and how they'd respond to the story-like concept within GL. Both of mine get a kick out it.

Anyway, I'm considering picking up myself as an in-between after GL and before OMT.

Hope you find what's best for ya'll.

Edited by Messianicmom