Menu

REALLY tired of people telling me how my kids don't live in the real world

Your wall, your rules...it's not like you are writing stuff about your life on HER wall. I'd delete every nasty comment...and not engage her on this topic...just ignoring her will likely heap burning coals on her head.

I stopped caring about what anyone thought of our homeschooling life a looooooooong time ago...including family. Not interested in their opinions...

My short experience with having a child in a humongous local public high school taught me that the only real world it resembled was a large, moderate security prison. Honestly. There is nothing about my local public high school that resembles anything about my world, which is real. I brought my daughter back to homeschooling because of that ridiculous misconception. My real world includes going to a job where I need to be kind to people, I bear responsibility for my actions and am accountable, there are no safety nets and I must perform, I have to compete to survive, honesty always wins, setting and achieving personal goals pays large rewards, no one ever wants to fight me physically, I get to associate with lots of people from different backgrounds, religions, and belief systems, I get to roam around without permission, and thinking outside the box is an optimum benefit. I found none of these things to be true in my local public high school.

You could learn Latin insults, or shakespearean insults. Then you could tell your were living in the real world, the ancient one or the Elizabethan one. :D

:lol: I love it!!!

I am quite fond of my alternate universe! :001_tt2:

:D I should say that once and see what she says LOL

or maybe I am just old-fashioned, but if this is your cousin, and you love her to death, I would pick up the phone and talk to her about this. :confused:

I have tried. It really gets nowhere. She forever thinks I am attacking her and her family. It gets old. So, yes, I have stopped calling and trying to discuss these things, unfortunately. She always ends up snapping a reply and gets loud. Just not worth it.

:iagree: I believe you can also block her from writing on your wall without unfriending her. Ban her for a few days. You know, like what happens on here. You could even send an email explaining the infraction and saying she is banned for X amount of time. :lol:

:smilielol5: I should- and in the email say banning happens in the real world ;)

That really makes a difference. If you have several people making irritating comments on your FB wall in response to your statuses, you either have FB friends who don't use FB properly, or you may be putting up statuses that you don't realize are annoying.

If your post simply says, "School went well today," then, anyone who gets offended or snippy has a problem. If a post says, "I'm so glad I can home school to get away from all the problems I see in public schools," well, then, I'd expect some negative comments.

Sometimes people post innocently and don't realize they may be coming across as slightly proud. It's a hard balance. Your cousin sounds insecure, regardless. Personally, I'd ignore her comments and just try and look as objectively as possible as to my conduct on FB.

Also, if it's just your cousin making comments, then your post isn't accurate. Your post says "people" and makes it sound like you have a small group that is being disrespectful to you.

No, I had 1 homeschool friend comment about my cousins comment and she took it wrong. My friends comment was not at all rude or snarky (I had a few people read the whole thing just in case I was being rude towards her without realizing it. None seemed to think I was.)

Well this is the reply I made to her

"How do we not live in the real world? Your kids sit in classes with groups of kids their age doing their school work then go on to their after school activities, do homework, have family time and eat dinner in there sometime before bed. My kids do their school work at home, and their music classes, go onto their after school activities, do their homework, have family time and we try to fit dinner in there sometime. Where they go to school really negates real world vs ?? I don't know. That just seems like an attack. I posted a personal view on my facebook wall. Apparently we will not agree on this but do we really need to stoop down to attacks? Your my cousin, I love you. Just because we don't agree 100% on everything doesn't mean things need to turn nasty. I guess we have to agree to disagree."

Maybe watch Dance Moms? ;):tongue_smilie: Then your kid can talk about the 'real world' instead of suffer through it. I'm kidding. It's a terrible show, but it has helped my young dancer have something to screech about with other 12 yr olds (why to 12 yr old girls screech? lol)

Also, all those SOTW passages about war? That's pretty real.

What does your cousin mean exactly? Of all the conversations I've had about hsing, nobody has ever suggested we aren't in the 'real world'. I mean, we are here, right? In this park, chatting FB, visiting WDW, paying my overdue library fines? Should I have the kids apply to military school right now? Have then volunteer to mop floors in a prison?

Edited by LibraryLover