Menu

Need fun ideas for our first Math Club get-together!

I want to make this really fun...ideas? I am going to make some sort of "badge' or "official membership card"....wondering how to do this. I have Photoshop...but no color printer...ideas?

Since it's all levels, I will get together a few levels of problems...I was thinking of spending some of the time at the board, and then letting them dig into problems as a group.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good group problems that the kids could work on? Or any suggestions in general? :bigear: I really want this to be a hit. It's the first "class" I've ever led, and the first class/academic get-together for my homeschool group.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what ages you'll have, but this problem was a great success at one of our math club meetings (ages 10-13):

Arrange the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 into two 5-digit numbers (note: that means neither can begin with zero) so that

(a) their sum is as large as possible

(b) their sum is as small as possible

© their positive difference is as large as possible

(d) their positive difference is as small as possible

The kids in our group don't really "work together" on problems, but they share their ideas back and forth and often give each other sparks of ideas for how to move forward.

That's a fun problem! Thanks. The ages will be from 6 to 11, and levels will be all over the map, basically. So I need all sorts of problems...keep em coming!

Some of the kids will not be great at math, but they're older, so I'd like something that will keep them interested too. Nothing too hard, but fun.

Ideas really appreciated.

Toothpick/matchstick and coin puzzles usually appeal to all ages. I've used them as the activity for the Gathering portion of Cub Scout den meetings.

Great idea! We just got a matchstick game out of the library and my boys love it. Easy to use with a larger group, too! I am going to pull out my Marilyn Burns books too.

You might be interested in Family Math. It has lots of games and math explorations, if that's what you're looking for.

Our club is more problem-focused, and we mostly use the MATHCOUNTS problem resources.

Well, some of the kids are more advanced, and I have Math Counts stuff printed for them. I have Family Math-I'll pull some games out of there! Thanks.

Well, some of the kids are more advanced, and I have Math Counts stuff printed for them. I have Family Math-I'll pull some games out of there! Thanks.

Oh, I wasn't meaning to imply advanced vs. not. Family Math has some quite advanced stuff. But it seems like it would lend itself more toward group work, if that's what you're aiming for.

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping up this older post because I came across this blog post that might prove helpful. It's by letsplaymath who posts here.

How To Start a Homeschool Math Club

I hope that your math club is going strong, Halcyon!

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

I'm bumping up this older post because I came across this blog post that might prove helpful. It's by letsplaymath who posts here.

How To Start a Homeschool Math Club

I hope that your math club is going strong, Halcyon!

Regards,

Kareni

Thank u! I wouldnt say it is going strong, unfortunately. Most of the hsers around (okay, all) are not particularly interested in maTh. My boys want the club to meet weekly, but it is all i can do to get enough kids every 2-3 weeks. That sai, MY kids enjoy it immensely.

Edited by Halcyon

I think you could get a lot of ideas from the Creative Problem Solving in School Mathematics book (George Lenchner). I've been using that and I think it would lend itself well to groups and I think it's suitable for a range of abilities.

I wish you lived closer. A math club sounds like fun.

Wouldnt that be fun? I just checked signups for our next meeting and it looks like 3 other families have signed up! Yay! That is more than usual. But still, id love it if younwere closer!

I've found some good things on the letsplaymath site. I'm trying to get a club started here, and am having an interest meeting this week. The kids will be playing games, and then I'm hoping the adults will be interested in the different possibilities. I hope enough people will join - I expect it will be fairly small.

Have you checked out the math circles in your area? There is a Miami Math circle. It's not quite what you were looking for but if your boys are interested in doing some fun problem solving in a group situation this might nourish that interest.