Menu

FIAR vol. 1-3 books -- how hard to hunt down?

provenance61

We're considering using FIAR for our 4 1/2 year old (going into kindergarten next year). I have a chance to buy vols. 1-3 used but there are none of the actual books included. I heard that it can be hard to hunt down the individual books as many of them are older.

Can someone let me know who has used FIAR? I'd like to use them from the library if possible. We do belong to one large library system and 2 smaller libraries (we're library groupies)...so if I planned ahead do you think that most of them could be found?

Amy

We own most of the books for vols 1-4. We have a poor library system so that was not an option for us. However I have heard of many people that have large libraries that have great success gaining access to most of the books.

For me, I would have to use ILL which is very unpredictable where I am. I did use it for The Giraffe that Walked to Paris and was surprised that it actually showed up! Andy and the Circus, however, was a different story.

IF you decide to buy them you can get sets thru Rainbow Resource that contain most of the books. Also I have found several thru local thrifts. If you have those where you live that is an economical option that cost far less than library fines.

Most books I've found fairly easy to find but there are some I've been looking for for a couple months and I am not sure I'll find them. A library is not convenient for us so we mostly buy used. The hard ones to buy:

The Giraffe That Walked to Paris by Nancy Milton (None of the libraries in our big city have it). It costs $50+ to buy.

Gramma's Walk by Anna Grossnickle Hines. This costs usually $30+ used.

Andy and the Circus by Ellis Credle is about impossible to find. I've heard of people that looked for years.

The Wild Horses of Sweetbriar by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock. This sells quite expensive $20ish and rarely comes up on ebay.

Cranberry Thanksgiving by Wende and Harry Devlin usually sells for $15+ but can be found sometimes at thrift stores and used book stores. I bet most libraries have it.

Babar, To Duet or Not to Duet based on characters by DeBrunhoff is hard to find and sells in the $25+ range. I personally don't care if I find it though as it is a book based on a movie and not written by the original Babar author. On the Five in a Row forum there is a link to the movie the book is based on.

This is the booklist for all four books if you want to see it: http://www.fiarhq.com/FIAR/FIARBL.html

Edited by teeniebeenie6

My library system has about 85% of the titles. Here is an Amazon list of the titles in Vol. 1&2. and Vol 3 List. I would look them up on your library's online catalog to see if the have them or are available for ILL. For The ones your library doesn't have you can easily see what used ones are going for on Amazon do give you a general idea of prices.

Doing this research will give you the clearest picture of whether this is cost effective/worth it to you.

I think that there are 4 books in all three volumes, that I won't do, b/c my library does not have and are OOP and extremely pricey. I've found that if the are pricey on Amazon they are going to be hard to get cheaply anywhere. But one can always get lucky.

My library has a three week check out - so my plan is to put a hold on the books 2 weeks before I need them. As we go to the library every week, I just pick up the books put on hold when we go. My library also states in the online catalog if a book is unavailable and when it is supposed to be returned, so I can adjust books scheduled fairly easily. Since the books are not sequential it does not matter when you do them

HTH