Menu

I need help with this one please great Hive Mind!

My sister's husband lost his mother last week. She had been sick and in the hospital and gradually got weaker and lost strength.

The funeral was last week and I did not send flowers, but I want to send something for my bil and sis and their children (she was their MeMa and they were close to her) now that they are back home. Something more than a card.

Any ideas? I am drawing a blank. DH suggested chocolate covered strawberries from Sherri's Berries but I'm not sure that says "I'm sorry about your loss."

I like to make a donation in remembrance of the deceased, to a charity that is meaningful to them. So when my uncle passed away I made a donation to the Nature Conservancy to support the creation of natural parks in Costa Rica, as he and my aunt traveled there every year. She was very touched. When my grandma died recently of a blood disease, after recieving numerous transfusions, I made a donation to the blood center of Wisconsin, to support transfusion medicine and research into blood diseases. These places send a card to the family to let them know you made a donation in remembrance, but do not include the amount donated on the card.

If she had a particular passion...say art..birds...or hobby...a donation of a title or funds earmarked to the the local library with a bookplate with her name and honor is always nice.

Even something like fairy tales with the names of the grand kids for the children area could be sentimentally comforting.

When my Father died, my DH's grandmother gave us a small angel statue for the garden. At the time I thought of it more as DH's grandmother whims and how she loved to fill up her yard with yard art. But I really like the little angel and since DH's grandmother has also died, it reminds me of both of them when I am near it.

See, you guys just keep coming with the good ideas. Now the trouble will be deciding which one to do.

The children are still very young - 4,6, and 9 - so the Heegaard book mentioned would be a nice idea if my sis hasn't already thought of something like that. I really like the library donation/bookplate idea. I'll have to look into making that one happen.

What to do, what to do? (At least I have some options now:))

Thanks again for all the ideas!