Menu

One Year World History for High School

Now I'm looking at the book. Volume 1 contains Creation through roughly 1100 AD. There is a TON of Scripture. You couldn't possibly just do history and skip the Bible. The Bible is interwoven on nearly EVERY PAGE. I'm not yelling with the all caps; I'm letting you know that it is full of Bible verses. It isn't "Bible assignments" as you call it; it is the expounding of history through a 66-book-Bible worldview. You might skip Bible assignments that come with a curriculum that uses that book as a spine, but in the book itself there aren't separate history, literature, and Bible assignments. It is a history of the world presented with commentary from the Bible.

As far as my understanding of LDS beliefs, I'm really not concerned with that here. I have had numerous friends throughout my lifetime who were LDS, and I completely understand their beliefs. I have studied in great detail how LDS and evangelical Christian understandings of the Bible are vastly different, even though they use some of the same jargon. So just understand that all I'm doing here is saying that you may not like this book, because it DOES utilize literal Scripture on nearly every page whether you can imagine that or not. It's not something you can skip as an assignment. It is the very essence of the way history is viewed in this book through a literal Biblical view. Here's a suggestion: order the book and determine for yourself whether you can utilize it for your family and if not, then return it for a full refund. Problem solved. No need to even discuss my understanding of your beliefs.

Yes, I understand you think you have a complete understanding of LDS beliefs. Your earlier explanation makes me think otherwise. But I agree with you that it's neither here nor there for the purposes of this discussion, and I'm certainly not trying to convince you. I was just mentioning it because your valiant attempt to describe why I would have a problem with the curriculum (which I appreciate) was a bit confusing because of the slightly "off" way you described my beliefs, and I wanted to get a little more clarity.

As I said in my earlier post, I've now looked at the online sample pages in more depth and I agree with you that the evangelical worldview presented is not compatible with our beliefs (I agree there are significant differences between an LDS perspective and that of an evangelical Christian), and cannot reasonably be filtered out as a separate lesson from the history. I'll be looking elsewhere. And again, I appreciate your heads-up regarding this program. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Off topic:

I don't know if your interested but glencoe has a website for their books. On that website they have multiple choice questions, which you could use as a test.

HTH

Their website has so much info! there are self-check quizzes that the student can do and see answers right then, puzzles & games, vocabulary eflashcards, interactive mapping, chapter overviews, web activities--if you go in as a "teacher" and then choose the version of the book you have, then click on the site map--that's the easiest way to see everything by chapter at once. Here's a direct link to the 2003 version. I just realized that Glencoe is the same company that does free lit. guides--I've only used one but liked that one.

I'm so glad someone pointed me to this thread, this looks like a really good resource/spine text!

Merry :-)