Menu

Anthologies: The Children's Hour vs Young Folks' Library vs ?

HejKatt

Ok, so can anyone tell me what the approximate reading age or grade range is for volumes 6, 7 and 8 of My Book House? I've just purchased vols 9-12 (can't wait to get them in the mail), and am thinking about adding to the set. I'm just not sure how far back to go with these. My dds are 8.5 and 10 and avid readers -- I'm thinking the earlier volumes would be too "young" for them, but I'm not sure of where the "cutoff" would be.

Thanks for any help!

Volume 6 "Through the fairy halls" is, I quote, "intended for boys and girls who haved reached an age when fantastic adventures of folk tales with thei dramatic and heroic action have enormous appeal to youthful imaginations."

It has Norse, African, Canadian and Spanis folk tales. Shakespeare is included as well as FabrĂƒÂ¨'s Fairyland of Science. Art and Music is also covered with stories of daVinci and Medelssohn.

So...not to enable you or anything, but go ahead and order 6,7, and 8!!

• Like 2

Volume 6 "Through the fairy halls" is, I quote, "intended for boys and girls who haved reached an age when fantastic adventures of folk tales with thei dramatic and heroic action have enormous appeal to youthful imaginations."

It has Norse, African, Canadian and Spanis folk tales. Shakespeare is included as well as FabrĂƒÂ¨'s Fairyland of Science. Art and Music is also covered with stories of daVinci and Medelssohn.

So...not to enable you or anything, but go ahead and order 6,7, and 8!!

Enable away! :)

These sound wonderful -- I will have to hit the "buy now" button.

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

I have nothing to add. I just wanted to come back to this thread. It's cozy and stress-free in here. :D We could talk about vintage Golden books if you guys want...

:001_smile:

I recently puchased the Golden Encyclopedia of Natural Sciences set and Through the Golden Window set to add to my Book of Knowledge and My Book House sets.

This has been one of my favorite threads since the vintage language arts books thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157186&highlight=Vintage.

Also...I refer to these sites a lot: http://valerieslivingbooks.info/ and http://www.livingbookslibrary.com/.

One more vintage set that we use often for Bible is The Book of Life: http://www.valerieslivingbooks.info/bookof.htm

Has anyone heard of Our Wonder World (Shuman)? I picked up complete set of the 1929 edition at a library sale for $9. Some interesting literature selections and such. http://archive.org/stream/ourwonderworldli08chic#page/n17/mode/2up

• Like 1

I have nothing to add. I just wanted to come back to this thread. It's cozy and stress-free in here. :D We could talk about vintage Golden books if you guys want...

Vintage Golden Books!!!!!!!!!!! :willy_nilly:

I was so excited when I found Doctor Dan with the band-aid still in it's wrapper attached to the inside cover. I don't have many now, but I sure loved those books as a kid.

I also admit to collecting vintage kids picture books with a "focus" (ha ha! I'm starting to sound crazy now) on photo illustrations. Here's a couple:

The Lonely Doll:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/87613685/the-lonely-doll-first-edition-vintage

Tell Me, Cat

http://www.etsy.com/listing/64582020/vintage-tell-me-cat-by-ellen-fisher-a

Also, We have a vintage mini collection (little books). :D

I think all vintage kids book lovers should have one. ;)

• Like 1

YES. Please. Let's. :)

Vintage Golden Books!!!!!!!!!!! :willy_nilly:

OK!

Here's what I've got and I love them all!

The Golden Book History of the United States by Earl Schenck Miers (12 volumes)

The Giant Golden Book of Mathematics

Golden Tales from the Arabian Nights

King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table

Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments

printed format, not the original :lol:

Giant Golden Book of Elves and Fairies (a reprint but I love it!)

Pirates, Ships, and Sailors (ditto)

The Golden Book of Fun and Nonsense (another reprint but cute as a button)

A Garth Williams Treasury of Best-Loved Golden Books

The Big Golden Book of the Wild West

The Complete Book of Indian Crafts and Lore

The Golden Book of the American Revolution

The Golden History of the World (but mine has a different cover)

The Canterbury Tales

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 2

OK!

Here's what I've got and I love them all! I'll start with my anthology and treasury (in keeping with the OP's wishes), then move to individual volumes.

Ooo! I love the Arabian Nights book! I like the second review on the Amazon link, "creepy, beautiful illustrations". :thumbup:

Your creepy Arabian Nights should get together with my creepy Lonely doll!

:lol:

Wow! You found that one? Does anyone have the Biology one? I got it from ILL once just to have it in my hands.

I love The Human Body book ; it's awesome.

Btw there's a website based on the Provensons' illustrations of the Iliad and Odyssey

http://iliadodyssey.com/

Edited by stripe
  • Like 1

Wow! You found that one? Does anyone have the Biology one? I got it from ILL once just to have it in my hands.

I love The Human Body book ; it's awesome.

Btw there's a website based on the Provensons' illustrations of the Iliad and Odyssey

http://iliadodyssey.com/

Oh, phooey, I meant to note that I only have a print-out that I got from some online source before it disappeared. :lol: I'll go edit.

I'll go search yours out!

I have a copy of the pdf! :)

I got it from http://chemistry.about.com/b/2011/11/02/download-the-golden-book-of-chemistry-experiments.htm

I have a ratty copy of the Iliad & Odyssey, the History of the World, the one vol encyclopedia (not my favorite, but it is illustrated by Cornelius de Witt as is The Story of the Great Lakes (not a Golden Book, by Marie Gilchrist) which coordinates well with Paddle to the Sea), the smaller edition of the math, and the two encyclopedia sets.

Anyway back to the Provensens. I bought The Provensen Book of Fairy Tales -- the stories and illustrations are fantastic!

When I was a kid, I remember The Saggy, Baggy Elephant.

Does anyone have old dictionaries for kids? I have My Second Pictionary and In Other Words (junior thesaurus). They are awfully cute. I also went on a Richard Scarry kick for a while. I managed to get a different abridged copy of What Do People Do All Day that includes a lot of what is now gone including the coal mining and mothers!

Edited by stripe

I have a copy of the pdf! :)

I got it from http://chemistry.about.com/b/2011/11/02/download-the-golden-book-of-chemistry-experiments.htm

I have a ratty copy of the Iliad & Odyssey, the History of the World, the one vol encyclopedia (not my favorite, but it is illustrated by Cornelius de Witt as is The Story of the Great Lakes (not a Golden Book, by Marie Gilchrist) which coordinates well with Paddle to the Sea), the smaller edition of the math, and the two encyclopedia sets.

Anyway back to the Provensens. I bought The Provensen Book of Fairy Tales -- the stories and illustrations are fantastic!

When I was a kid, I remember The Saggy, Baggy Elephant.

Does anyone have old dictionaries for kids? I have My Second Pictionary and In Other Words (junior thesaurus). They are awfully cute. I also went on a Richard Scarry kick for a while. I managed to get a different abridged copy of What Do People Do All Day that includes a lot of what is now gone including the coal mining and mothers!

We use a vintage dictionary.

I can't help but rescue them. :001_smile:

One time I became impatient with my daughter because she couldn't find the word computer. When I looked for myself I realized the dictionary was pre computers! :lol: Oops!

We now have a modern two-volume set at hand. We still mostly use the old one though because the weight, paper, and print are just so pleasant to handle. :blush:

• Like 1

OK!

Here's what I've got and I love them all!

printed format, not the original :lol:

Pirates, Ships, and Sailors (ditto)

The Big Golden Book of the Wild West

The Complete Book of Indian Crafts and Lore

The Golden Book of the American Revolution

The Golden History of the World (but mine has a different cover)

The Canterbury Tales

Why, oh why did I come back to this thread!:banghead:

Your linked version of The Canterbury Tales looks beautiful. Ack. My pocketbook is shrinking.

• Like 1

My list for the spring book sale has now increased exponentially. And here I thought I wouldn't go until Bag Day....now I'm going to have to go on the first day - to the "Better Books Side" to scope out some of these lovely treasures.

And then convince my hubby to build additional bookshelves, as the ones dedicated to vintage books is quickly running out of room.

I was busy with the dc today, and logged on to find the thread had doubled in size with recommendations. :eek: :001_smile: That's OK, keep those treasures coming!

Here's version #2 of the list, if I left anything out, let me know and I will amend. I waffled about listing out each Golden Book mentioned, but if you would like to see them there, I will add them (and add warning signs about needing strong fiscal discipline before clicking). :tongue_smilie:

--------Anthologies----------

Book of (Fairytale collections) by Ruth Manning Sanders

#33 - Description and wikipedia link

Book Trails

#10 - Link to photo from 1928 edition

The Bookshelf for Boys and Girls

#25 - Description and title list for 1966 edition

#46 - Picture links #1 and #2. Also, list of volumes across editions. Link to interview with artist Joshua Field.

Childcraft

#41 - Link to blog describing Mathemagic (one of the books), and brief comparison of editions.

#41 - Link to comparison thread of editions , also see Valeries Living Books' Comments on Childcraft

The Children's Hour

#5 - Description, suggested age range

#19 - Link to online books and guide

#22 - Link to photo of 1953 edition

Collier's Junior Classics

#10 - Brief comparison, 1912 vs 1953

#28 - title list for pre-1960 edition

#32 - link to photo of 1962 edition

Collier's Young Folks' Shelf of Books, 1962

#28 - Title list and description for pre-1960 and post-1960 editions

#39 - Recommendation of 1958 edition

Ginn Basic Readers

#28 - Online link to photo of 1960s edition and title list

Golden Treasure Chest

#47 - Description and list of titles

Golden Treasury of Children's Literature

#59 - Recommendation and photo of 1986 edition

My Book House

#12, 32 - Link to photo of 1971 edition and price at Half Price Books

#22 - Title list for 1971 edition

#53 - Description for volume 6 ("Through the Fairy Halls")

Our Wonder World

#62 - Link to online 1929 edition

Through Golden Windows

#25 - Description and title lists for 1958 edition

Young Folks' Library

#22 - Compares 1902 and 1919 editions

------ Encyclopedia/Non-fiction collections --

Annals of America

#20 - Link to 2005 photo

Book of Knowledge

#15 - 1911 online books

#44 - 1953 sample topical listing

Golden Book Encyclopedia Set

#33 - Link to 1960 edition photo and description for pre-1960 edition,

Golden Book Encyclopedia of Natural Science

#34, 46 - Description and blog link.

Golden Treasury of Knowledge

#47 - Brief description and link to photo of titles.

Disney's How It Works in the City/Country/Home

#42 - Link to photo of 1980 edition

The Nature Library

#51 - Recommendation of 6-volume, 1926 edition

Wonderful World of Walt Disney Books

#37 - 1965 photo

World Book, Encyclopedia and Dictionary

#18 - Link to 1917-1918 online books/lesson plans

--- Literary/Great Books collections-------

Book of Life

#62 - Recommendation of vintage set for Bible

Companion Library

#33 - Description and link to photo of 1960 titles

Britannica Great Books Collection

#42 - Link to photo

The World's Popular Classics

#36 - Link to photo of 1930s edition

------ Vintage Golden Books------

For Golden Book Collection envy, please refer to posts #64, 65, 69 and 72. :)

PDF for Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments

--- Websites for finding/evaluating vintage books --

http://valerieslivingbooks.info/

http://www.livingbookslibrary.com/

• Like 1

Oh I'm sorry I didn't get in on this thread earlier :)

I have the My Book House set from the 1930s. I had them as a child and my mother SOLD THEM when I was away at college!! WHAT was she thinking! So of course I spent the next 15 years tracking down a nice set that wasn't $500.

Olive Beaupre Miller also did a lovely set of ancient-through-Middle-Ages history books called A Pictureseque Tale of Progress. It's a terrific set to have on hand for your Ancients study, as it has about half a volume of stuff on ancient Sumeria and Assyria, and well over a hundred pages on the Mongols, and plenty of other stuff on those topics that always seem SO difficult to find good, kid-friendly resources for :)

• Like 2

Tell me more about this! There are two versions of the Golden Book of Mathematics? Is one Giant and one is...not?

Yes! The smaller one is cheaper (amazon is selling several copies of various editions of it, for about $3+ shipping), and is in fact physically smaller. It is definitely not a giant book! The size of a slightly wide paperback novel, I'd say. I think it may contain fewer pages and topics?? Anyway this is the cover of the smaller edition, the title page, and inner photo. Thanks to Calsidyrose on Flickr.

Why did I read this thread? I am now the proud owner of A Picturesque Tale of Progress and My Book House sets. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been reading aloud to my special needs son from Ambleside Yr 1 and 2 for about an hour a day, so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m hoping these sets will be a good fit for him. He can read and comprehend at a 7th grade level, but he loves to be read to from classic fairy tales, hero tales, and older history books, etc. He even gets a kick out of nursery rhymes. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m happy to indulge him.:D I never seem to make library sales, but I managed to get both of these sets for under $90 with postage. Now I need to figure out where to put them...:tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

Okay, what I want to know is, why did I (some time ago) buy "The Book of Popular Science"? I was under the impression someone recommended it to me, but I've searched these forums and the only one who posted about them was, well, me. Anyway I've got this 10 volume science encyclopedia and not really sure why, although it is kind of interesting. They look like this. Here is a photo from inside, courtesy of Eleanor White on Flickr (she's got others). Anyway, what does one do with such things??

I was flipping through hoping to find the photo above (I found it! one of the rare color illustrations), and saw "A Baby Is Born," which clears up some of the mysteries of life, for sure: "Ovulation -- that is, the discharge of an ovum from a mature Graafian follicle -- occurs about midway between two menstrual cycles." The otherwise very clear diagram of the male reproductive system modestly does not include what might be indelicately termed its head. But, luckily, all is put in perspective with this opening, "Man is mortal and his life span is comparatively brief, even under ideal conditions." All in all, there are fully 15 pages about reproduction. This is not a joke!

Stripe's post reminded me of an encyclopedia set I have at home.

Young People's Science Encylopedia, 1965. Preview here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ejEXWbh0_UsC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's a set of 19 hardback volumes (about an inch thick), and the cover lists the topics covered: physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy, geology, mathematics, geography, space science and atomic energy.

The Google preview gives a good idea of the layout - 2 column with colorful illustrations, and occasionally home experiments on the sidebar. I happen to prefer this layout to, say, the hyper-colorful layouts of Usborne/DK but it's still too early to tell if my dc will treat it as a browsing encyclopedia. I would recommend it as a middle school reference.

Here's another set edited by Olive Beaupre Miller - My TravelShip.

http://childscapes.com/bookpages/bookhouse-Travelship.html

I have the ones for France and Holland, published 1926. The book for Holland lists Maud and Miska Petersham as the illustrators.

I couldn't find an online excerpt, so here is an excerpt from a story (I wish I could find and link the pictures):

"Altchen and Berend-John: A Tale from the Province of Overyssel

There lived once in a poor little house on the edge of a lonely heath in Overyssel, a pretty lassie named Altchen and her father, Bartes Aarnink. Now Altchen had a sweetheart, a poor young farm-hand called Berend-John."

The text is engaging, but it's the pictures which are the real draw.

Holland endpapers

• Like 1

One more anthology - The Illustrated Treasury of Children's Literature, edited by Margaret Martignoni, published 1955.

http://archive.org/details/illustratedtreasmart

The contents range from nursery rhymes in the beginning to excerpts from famous books such as Little Women.

This blog entry summarizes it well :

"ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a great collection of stories. It has some illustrations, but most are rudimentary with little color and a lot are plain ink sketches. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s very text heavy."

Do I recommend it? I think it makes a good starter, or a compact treasury to take along for trips (well, comparatively, for those of us who don't have eReaders). I see this book pop up a few times/year at library book sales, so I appreciate having a copy that I don't mind if it gets a little rough from handling by children. This book probably appeals to elementary-early middle school aged children.

Would anyone like to discuss favorite authors and illustrators of vintage books, when you are out at library sales? For example, I usually end up buying a book if it has one of the following:

Authors:

Elizabeth Coatsworth

Elsa Beskow

Holling C Holling

Genevieve Foster

Illustrators:

Cornelius deWitt

Tibor Gergely

Maud and Miska Petersham

Elsa Beskow

Series:

Giant Golden Book, or Deluxe Golden Book

Here's another set edited by Olive Beaupre Miller - My TravelShip.

http://childscapes.com/bookpages/bookhouse-Travelship.html

I have the ones for France and Holland, published 1926. The book for Holland lists Maud and Miska Petersham as the illustrators.

I couldn't find an online excerpt, so here is an excerpt from a story (I wish I could find and link the pictures):

"Altchen and Berend-John: A Tale from the Province of Overyssel

There lived once in a poor little house on the edge of a lonely heath in Overyssel, a pretty lassie named Altchen and her father, Bartes Aarnink. Now Altchen had a sweetheart, a poor young farm-hand called Berend-John."

The text is engaging, but it's the pictures which are the real draw.

Holland endpapers

:001_wub:

YES!

I have the set, that I grew up with, here in our classroom. I mostly remember Dame Tartine from Nursery Friends From France.

• Like 1

Would anyone like to discuss favorite authors and illustrators of vintage books, when you are out at library sales? For example, I usually end up buying a book if it has one of the following:

Series:

I generally gravitate to almost every non-commercial (ie not Barbie books) vintage Golden Book, as well as Random House Picturebacks, Children's Choice Book Club editions, Parents Magazine Press books and older Weekly Reader books. Also I have a hard time passing up oversize DK books from the early 1990s, although so far I've been able to restrain myself on the Eyewitness series.

My "commercial" indulgences are Richard Scarry, Sesame Street and Berenstain Bears.

Here's another encyclopedia set The Golden Home And High School Encyclopedia: http://www.etsy.com/listing/83897099/1960s-textbook-high-school-encyclopedia. Some of you might remember an old thread I had started about whether or not it's okay to cut up books. :001_smile:

I bought the whole set at $.25 a piece. When I went to cut pictures out I just couldn't do it. The covers on these things are so cool.

I had them displayed on a tiered vintage magazine rack in the classroom. I finally had to take them down because I needed the space for books we actually read. *Not to say that we wouldn't eventually. It seems like everything has it time in our classroom.

While looking around Etsy I saw this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/96175693/1970-north-american-indian-arts-golden?ref=sr_gallery_6&sref=&ga_includes%5B0%5D=tags&ga_search_query=Golden+Press&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

I totally collect these too. :D

Edited by helena
  • Like 1

Authors:

Elizabeth Coatsworth

Elsa Beskow

Holling C Holling

Genevieve Foster

Illustrators:

Cornelius deWitt

Tibor Gergely

Maud and Miska Petersham

Elsa Beskow

Series:

Authors: Holling C Holling for sure. I was thrilled to find The Book of Indians. http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Indians-Holling-Clancy/dp/B00085AB6U

I collect many authors. Always trying to find an older or more beautiful cover. I keep a box of inevitable duplicates and give them to a girlfriend who has kids. I'm the book auntie. :D

Illustrators... hmm. Right now I'm into Mitsu & Taro Yashima: http://www.amazon.com/Crow-Picture-Puffins-Taro-Yashima/dp/014050172X

And books illustrated in similar style such as Brian Wildsmith's Birds: http://www.vintagechildrensbooksmykidloves.com/2007/09/brian-wildsmiths-birds.html.

Sibylle von Olfers: http://www.amazon.com/Story-Root-Children-Sibylle-Olfers/dp/086315106X

I was instantly attracted to E. Boyd Smith illustrations. I only have two of his books... so far. http://www.etsy.com/listing/83986634/the-story-of-noahs-ark-1905-e-boyd-smith. I like his whole style.

I'm on the hunt for a specific style from when I was a kid. Do you remember the books with 3-D covers? The pics inside were dolls (?) set up in scenes: http://www.etsy.com/listing/89237094/vintage-3d-illustration-book-three

Series: would have Peanuts at the top. We love, love, love old Peanuts.

We collect Anglund books, many of these go in our mini collection: http://www.etsy.com/listing/85998151/vintage-joan-walsh-anglund-book-in-a?ref=sr_gallery_11&sref=&ga_includes%5B0%5D=tags&ga_search_query=joan+walsh+anglund&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

• Like 2

Would anyone like to discuss favorite authors and illustrators of vintage books, when you are out at library sales?

To be honest, I would love anything by those authors/illustrators too but I rarely or never see them! However, a few years ago, I bought a whole bunch of Cornelius de Witt books, which I haven't really used. The Human Body book is by far the best, in my opinion, because there are so many detailed and reconceptualized drawings of various systems in the body, rather than realistic stuff.

I was delighted at a booksale to find San Francisco Boy by Lois Lenski, and I have found a copy of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm in a Golden Illustrated Classic edition (so cute! and holy smokes! someone is selling one for $300 on amazon!) and a couple of the Junior Deluxe editions. These are very nice editions to have, I think.

I generally buy a lot of Dell Yearling books from the 1980s and before, as they remind me of my childhood! I have bought some on a whim just because they are Dell Yearling, and they've been fun books.

I have also bought books I'd never heard of (like Flossie and Bossie) simply because they are illustrated by Garth Williams -- not because I am an unusual fan of his, but because I've heard of him so I know the book isn't some random junk.

I think the Alice & Martin Provenson are really interesting too, but what's funny is how much their illustrations vary! There is no one "look" to them.

I've got the Golden Encyclopedia, and my son does read it occasionally, and then he asks me a lot of questions about, say, Catholic church hierarchy. So it's funny what one stumbles upon....

Edited by stripe

I generally gravitate to almost every non-commercial (ie not Barbie books) vintage Golden Book, as well as Random House Picturebacks, Children's Choice Book Club editions, Parents Magazine Press books and older Weekly Reader books. Also I have a hard time passing up oversize DK books from the early 1990s, although so far I've been able to restrain myself on the Eyewitness series.

kubiac - agreed that not all Golden Books are equal, some are fluff. I don't know when they started doing commercial (Barbie/Dora) Golden Books, maybe there really are some vintage ones out there ?.

Could you elaborate on the others - Random House, Children's Choice and Parents Magazine and Weekly Readers? These are fairly prolific publishers, so do you find their quality consistent or is there a special draw to them?

Here's another encyclopedia set The Golden Home And High School Encyclopedia: http://www.etsy.com/listing/83897099/1960s-textbook-high-school-encyclopedia. Some of you might remember an old thread I had started about whether or not it's okay to cut up books. :001_smile:

:svengo: I could cut up some books, but not vintage Golden books!

To be honest, I would love anything by those authors/illustrators too but I rarely or never see them!

I hope I didn't give an impression that we're swimming in them here. :) I do go to a particular book sale where hardback Golden Books popup every couple of months though. Off the top of my head, I remember last month's inventory had a couple of Opal Wheeler biographies and Holling C Holling's Indian Book. If any of you is looking for those, PM me and I will keep a look out when I next go. The price ranges from $1-5 depending on condition and how long the books have been in the inventory.

ETA - stripe, those were nice finds! Thanks for reminding me about Lois Lenski. And yes, the Cornelius deWitt Body book is a pleasure just to look at.

Edited by leeyeewah

kubiac - agreed that not all Golden Books are equal, some are fluff. I don't know when they started doing commercial (Barbie/Dora) Golden Books, maybe there really are some vintage ones out there ?.

Could you elaborate on the others - Random House, Children's Choice and Parents Magazine and Weekly Readers? These are fairly prolific publishers, so do you find their quality consistent or is there a special draw to them?

:svengo: I could cut up some books, but not vintage Golden books!

I hope I didn't give an impression that we're swimming in them here. :) I do go to a particular book sale where hardback Golden Books popup every couple of months though. Off the top of my head, I remember last month's inventory had a couple of Opal Wheeler biographies and Holling C Holling's Indian Book. If any of you is looking for those, PM me and I will keep a look out when I next go. The price ranges from $1-5 depending on condition and how long the books have been in the inventory.

ETA - stripe, those were nice finds! Thanks for reminding me about Lois Lenski. And yes, the Cornelius deWitt Body book is a pleasure just to look at.

:lol: you should see the vintage gardening books I keep buying to "cut up"! :lol:

Lois Lenski :001_wub: It's such a warm, happy feeling to hold her books.

Edited by helena

I hope I didn't give an impression that we're swimming in them here. :) I do go to a particular book sale where hardback Golden Books popup every couple of months though. Off the top of my head, I remember last month's inventory had a couple of Opal Wheeler biographies and Holling C Holling's Indian Book.

I found an old hardback of Paddle to the Sea (and bought it), but that's the only one of his I've seen in a used book store/thrift shop.

I was so happy about Lenski because I'd bought a bunch of her books off the internet but balked at San Francisco Boy's price ($10-15)...and lo and behold, there it was! Sometimes it makes me rather ill what I stumble across after just having caved in and bought it online. Ah well.

The worst has been where I have a new copy, and I buy the old one anyway. I did this with the Moomintroll books. I'll upload a photo to compare. Come on. The old ones are just special!

moomin.jpg

Edited by stripe

Stripe - those old Moomintroll books are cute. Did you find them after you started WWE (is it WWE or FLL that excerpts from them)?

LNC - Wow, that's an impressive collection. I'm curious about the Lights of History and Makers of History sets. Did you collect them because they go into more detail compared to modern history sets, cover people not normally mentioned or have a certain literary quality? Please share about your finds. :)

Random House, Children's Choice and Parents Magazine and Weekly Readers? These are fairly prolific publishers, so do you find their quality consistent or is there a special draw to them?

* Random House is and was the biggest publishing house in the United States, so when they put together a series of books (ie the Picturebacks of the 70s-80s), you're virtually certain to get the cream of the crop of authors and writers of the era (not to mention that they picked up a lot of Golden illustrators and authors!)

* The Children's Choice Club was edited by Alice Low, and that woman had taste. I feel like it's mostly reprints of the high-quality canon of the children's literature canon of the era, as well as some much older writers (Flack, Gag), plus I really like the sturdy hardback format!

* Parents Magazine Press is highly collectible and had a great stable of writers and illustrators. I'm rarely familiar with the titles when I find them, but they're invariably beautiful and interesting, and again I love the hardback format, and when I get home I often find I've inadvertently picked up a treasure or two.

* Old Weekly Reader (60s-70s-early 80s) is my latest addition to the "trust" list. Even if I don't recognize a writer and author, if it looks like a non-twaddle book, I give it a shot, and we've rarely if ever been displeased.

I'm on the hunt for a specific style from when I was a kid. Do you remember the books with 3-D covers? The pics inside were dolls (?) set up in scenes: http://www.etsy.com/listing/89237094/vintage-3d-illustration-book-three

I just discovered these recently when a copy of this Japanese-origin Thumbelina passed through my hands.

Edited by kubiac