Menu

Mom, I will take care of you and dad when you are old because that is what kids do.

I was talking to my 15 year old the other day and I was talking to her about how the budget was tight and sometime I couldn't do the things that I wanted to do or buy the things that I would like to buy and my dd said that she would pay for these things when we were older and she took care of us. I said that I was surprised that she was planning to take care of us and she said that that is what kids are supposed to do because we love and take care of them and that they love us and will want to take care of us. I don't think she realises that not everyone feels that way.

I never raised my kids we the expectation that they were supposed to take care of us in our old age and yet almost all of my kids voluntarily plan to do so. One did say that dad would have to have a small IL quarters because their personalities don't mesh so well but they seem to get along much better since she moved out so who knows. Another said that she would just live at home forever and then when she was older she would take care of us. Then one day (when she was much younger) she announced out of the blue that she would put us in one of those nice retirement homes but not to worry whe would come every week and take me to Walmart. The youngest still has the plan that she will stay home and take care of us. I don't know why but this really surprises me. It makes me feel like I must have done something right and it makes me proud of my children.

That's so sweet. I would take care of my parents. Of course that is somewhat easy to say at this point because only one is still left alive. ;)

There is no way I'd take care of my MIL though. NO WAY!

:iagree:

Exactly the same, my mother has already died but I will take care of my dad when he needs me too. DH's parent's isn't happening. They absolutely hate me.

Your children are very, very sweet :)

That's so sweet. I would take care of my parents. Of course that is somewhat easy to say at this point because only one is still left alive. ;)

There is no way I'd take care of my MIL though. NO WAY!

Luckily, two of three of my SILs love me like a mom as well:confused:. They both say that if Lord forbid they ever got divorced they would get custody of me and that if none of the kids were left to take care of them then they would do so. This surprises me even more as I am clearly a crochety old lady that they bear no responsiblity for what-so-ever.

I've been taking care of my mama for the past 8 years. She's 82 years old this year and has a number of health problems. This was planned long ago when I was a single mom going to college. My sons and I lived with her for 5 years and I appreciated her to much that I voluntarily made a promise to be there when she needed me.

Yes, it's what families do. America is one of the only countries in the world that leaves it up to others to care for the elderly, although I do hear more and more about the growing number of multi generational households.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One
grammar :~p

A friend of my husband's recently visited us along with his partner (they're not married). They are leaving to move closer to the partner's family. Among the reasons was so that "their nieces and nephews could take care of them when they're old." Huh???? I don't even expect my own kids to take care of me-- much less my nieces or nephews. This couple has zero relationship with these children, and they don't even like children (they have no children of their own). I was gobsmacked by their sense of entitlement and I fear they're in for a bitter dose of reality as they age.

I hope my children never have to take care of me, I would hate to expect them to. My girls too have volunteered their company and care when they're older, but honestly, i would be very happy to see them living their own lives in a decent and fulfilling way without me in their day to day lives. But who knows what the future holds...

:grouphug::grouphug: that is sweet.....dh and I live with his dad because his dad needs extra attention and extra eyes to watch him and he doesn't drive (disabled)....so kiddo sees that now that he's growing up but we've never talked to him about what will happen to us when we are OLD...but a few days ago kiddo said that he is going to live in our house with us forever and when we get old he will go shopping for us LOL....he was asking why do some people kick their kids out of the house when they turn 18 and that's how we got started talking about it-he said he didn't want to move out-he wanted to live with us forever! :D