Menu

Page protectors?

pokegirl

I'm a newbie to homeschooling and last night I decided to rip apart my workbooks and put them in page protectors. I would preferably like to use dry erase crayons to complete the sheets. Is there any brand/type of page protectors that will work well with dry erase crayons both in terms of writing and erasing?

We have the dry erase crayons but tend not to use them because it takes A LOT of hard work to erase them. I've tried them on showerboard, page protectors, dry erase boards, laminate and have had very little luck. I loved the idea of them but I find that my kids groan when I take them out because they know how hard they are to erase. The glove that is included doesn't seem to be very helpful either. I found that it would do a decent job the first few times, then it was just leaving shadows. We're now using Crayola Dry Erase markers and they've worked really well. My DD has accidently marked on her clothes a few times and I've always managed to get it out with a little OxyClean. When I do use page protectors with those markers I use the heavy duty Office Depot brand. If you are part of their rewards program you can often get them for free (you pay for them, then earn that exact amount in rewards dollars to use at the store).

I have found any of the heavy duty brands to work well. Don't get the cheapo thin ones- they stain and tear. You might also think about using wet erase markers. They work great and don't smear off all over clothes, hands, etc.

I buy them off amazon but you can probably get them from an office supply place.

I wouldn't want to use dry erase crayons either. I love them for the white board (they wash off easily with a damp rag, btw), but for workbooks, they're awfully thick.

Before you go this route, I want to ask you... Are these cheap workbooks or expensive ones? I know sometimes people get carried away with the workbook reuse thing, and if it's a $5-7 workbook, it might not be worth the trouble, ya know?

I have a $25 workbook that I am using a laminating pouch with, and that's going fine. I use a fine-tip dry erase marker (Expo brand). I'd like to get a thinner marker of some sort, but haven't found one as of yet. The fine tip is still a bit thick, especially since my son presses down a bit more than he should. We're working on that habit.

Any workbook $10 and under, I just write in and get a new one for the next kid, especially since it's not even a guarantee that I'll use the workbook with the other kids. :tongue_smilie:

We have the dry erase crayons but tend not to use them because it takes A LOT of hard work to erase them. I've tried them on showerboard, page protectors, dry erase boards, laminate and have had very little luck. I loved the idea of them but I find that my kids groan when I take them out because they know how hard they are to erase. The glove that is included doesn't seem to be very helpful either. I found that it would do a decent job the first few times, then it was just leaving shadows. We're now using Crayola Dry Erase markers and they've worked really well. My DD has accidently marked on her clothes a few times and I've always managed to get it out with a little OxyClean. When I do use page protectors with those markers I use the heavy duty Office Depot brand. If you are part of their rewards program you can often get them for free (you pay for them, then earn that exact amount in rewards dollars to use at the store).

Regarding the dry erase crayons--try cleaning with baby wipes and see if that does the trick.

These are 20 dollar workbooks. The cheap workbooks I have no problems ordering for each child but with 4 kids under 6, I would like to avoid ordering expensive ones more than once. Also to be clear, the workbooks do allow you to photocopy for family members but since it's in color (and you need the color to complete the sheets) copying the pages just isn't worth the money either.

These are 20 dollar workbooks. The cheap workbooks I have no problems ordering for each child but with 4 kids under 6, I would like to avoid ordering expensive ones more than once. Also to be clear, the workbooks do allow you to photocopy for family members but since it's in color (and you need the color to complete the sheets) copying the pages just isn't worth the money either.

Ok, yes I'd definitely reuse those. :D

So far, the laminating pouch has worked well here. I'm going to get one of those Wipe Clean Worksheet Covers from Rainbow Resource ($1.85) to see if that might be easier to use. You slip it on the page you want, and it's side-loading. I haven't tried one yet though. I was going to add it to my next RR order later in the spring. I've also heard of people using the Workbook Window (around $12ish?), which lets you stick the whole workbook inside it, so you have a 2 page spread.

I wouldn't want to use dry erase crayons either. I love them for the white board (they wash off easily with a damp rag, btw), but for workbooks, they're awfully thick.

I have had a miserable time with dry erase crayons. I can't recall the brands I've tried but none of them worked well for me. Too much elbow grease to get it off.

I always have trouble getting dry erase markers to come completely off of the page protectors. I've had much better luck with wet erase markers and the kids don't smear as they go.

I love these wet erase markers. They've been working really well for us.

I have had a miserable time with dry erase crayons. I can't recall the brands I've tried but none of them worked well for me. Too much elbow grease to get it off.

I've only used the Crayola brand. They are horrible if you try to dry erase them, I agree. I just keep a damp wash cloth handy, and when we're done, just wash it off. It comes off incredibly easily - no elbow grease required.

The downside to that is that if the kid makes a mistake, we have to wet erase it. That's a pain. I like the crayons for the fact that the kids can feel what they're writing (like with a chalkboard and chalk).

I've used the Crayola dry erase crayons on white board and on a laminated page. They wiped off easily with the damp wash cloth. I haven't tried them on a page protector.

Do these have a finer point than the fine point dry erase markers? :lurk5:

They do have a bit of a finer point, not ultra fine point sharpie, but somewhere between a fine and ultra fine point.

Those pockets you mentioned work awesome. I use them to put my kids weekly assignment list in. That way I just write on that and only had to print out one page for each child. You can also use permanent markers on them, like an ultra fine point sharpie and it will come off with a little rubbing alcohol. I bought some from amazon, like these they are much nicer than any page protector I've used.

I've also seen them at our local Teacher/parents stores.

I have a question for those that use page protectors/dry erase markers for workbooks...

Do you ever photocopy a page for the child to complete to save for your records? Or are these workbooks things that are extra? (I know records-keeping differs from state to state)...but I like keeping a record of some things (even workbook pages :001_huh:) for nostalgia's sake... :)

(I'll be using a reproducible workout next year for DD's 1st grade geography and I like the thought of not making all those copies, but I'd also like some kind of record of her work...)

I have a question for those that use page protectors/dry erase markers for workbooks...

Do you ever photocopy a page for the child to complete to save for your records? Or are these workbooks things that are extra? (I know records-keeping differs from state to state)...but I like keeping a record of some things (even workbook pages :001_huh:) for nostalgia's sake... :)

(I'll be using a reproducible workout next year for DD's 1st grade geography and I like the thought of not making all those copies, but I'd also like some kind of record of her work...)

I don't have to keep records for the state, so workbooks go in the trash when we're done with them. If I want to keep anything for nostalgia purposes (and workbooks typically don't fall in that category for me), I just take a picture of the page.

Things I might keep (a picture of) for nostalgia's sake would include art, a handwriting sample, a well written note/letter, a well written paragraph/narration, a notebooking page (picture/text), etc. A boring workbook... nope. They don't interest me. :)