Menu

Have we done what's for dinner yet?

I am not sure I am allowed to answer (it involves a crock pot) ;) I think I missed why . . . but apparently they are a hot topic around here... :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, in my crock pot Mexican Chicken (black beans with a TBS of garlic, frozen chicken breasts with some southwest seasoning and a jar of salsa) when it is cooked I will shred the chicken, add 3/4 stick of cream cheese to the bean mixture, top with Mexican cheese and serve over rice.

Not getting the healthy award for this one, but it is dh's favorite so I make it once in awhile anyway :tongue_smilie:

I am not sure I am allowed to answer (it involves a crock pot) ;) I think I missed why . . . but apparently they are a hot topic around here... :tongue_smilie:

I'll let it slide this one time, as long as you promise you've done your research and made sure your crock pot does not have lead in the glaze.

(I'm joking, by the way. I promise!)

We eat lots of Mexican-inspired meals in my house. I have black beans in the crock pot at least two nights a week.

Saturday: Roast chicken, slaw with Asian dressing, broccoli and fruit

Sunday: BBQ salmon with baked sweet potatoes, sliced pears for dessert

Monday: Butternut squash and white bean soup, bread, apples

Last night: Roast chicken and roast asparagus with canned peaches for dessert

Tonight: BBQ ribs, broccoli and baked potatoes with some sort of fresh fruit on the side

Tomorrow: Pork loin with some kind of vegetable on the side (roast cauliflower?) and fresh fruit.

Very predictable pattern of protein + vegetable + fruit most of the time, LOL.

Edited by Wabi Sabi

Tonight is gf penne with sausage and broccoli. It has a nice olive oil/lemon sauce and parmesan on top. Served with green salad. Fruit salad for dessert.

Tomorrow is marinated flank steak, mixed green salad, sauteed green beans and more fruit salad for dessert (I made a huge batch).

Friday is Spanish chicken and roasted sweet potatoes, green salad and I think I'll make homemade chocolate pudding for dessert, maybe.

Mushroom Barley Soup from the recipe in the original Moosewood, accompanied by some stuffed clams.

Before going to bed tonight, I'll put black beans to soak. Tomorrow I am making black bean burgers and homemade buns. They'll be served with spinach salad.

I plan on cooking a whole chicken over the weekend and will base a number of future meals around leftover meat and chicken broth.

Anyway, in my crock pot Mexican Chicken (black beans with a TBS of garlic, frozen chicken breasts with some southwest seasoning and a jar of salsa) when it is cooked I will shred the chicken, add 3/4 stick of cream cheese to the bean mixture, top with Mexican cheese and serve over rice.

Not getting the healthy award for this one, but it is dh's favorite so I make it once in awhile anyway :tongue_smilie:

Monday- chicken enchiladas soup in the crock pot

Tuesday- whole chicken in the crock pot

Today- chili in the crock pot

Tomorrow or Friday.....pulled pork in the crock pot

I work 4-8ish 4 nights a week....the crock pot is my best friend.

Mushroom Barley Soup from the recipe in the original Moosewood, accompanied by some stuffed clams.

Before going to bed tonight, I'll put black beans to soak. Tomorrow I am making black bean burgers and homemade buns. They'll be served with spinach salad.

I plan on cooking a whole chicken over the weekend and will base a number of future meals around leftover meat and chicken broth.

Is this the soup recipe you're using?

http://www.food.com/recipe/moosewood-mushroom-barley-soup-55694

I've been dying to try a mushroom barley soup recipe!

Is this the soup recipe you're using?

http://www.food.com/recipe/moosewood-mushroom-barley-soup-55694

I've been dying to try a mushroom barley soup recipe!

That is it! This is one of my favorite soups. It works with water or stock. I'll mention for the non-vegans that I like to use a homemade meaty chicken stock for a hearty soup.

You mentioned in another post that you were making a vegan cream sauce. May I ask what you do? I love dairy products but a friend is lactose intolerant. I enjoy expanding my repertoire to include things which she can eat.

Last night's dinner was Chinese-style stir-fried chicken with shredded carrots and cabbage, served with rice.

Tonight we're going to see a movie at one of those places where you order food and they bring it right to you to eat while you watch the movie. So probably burgers or something. :-) Got a good deal on the movie tickets (plus free drinks) from Groupon. (We're going to see "The Secret World of Arrietty"; we're huge Studio Ghibli fans.)

Wendi