Menu

Is there a ton of repeat from FLL3 to FLL4?

HappyGrace

Well, it is the same method but at a more difficult level. It is different literature selections, if that is what you are wondering. But, it follows the same pattern.

I found that year 4 was a great stretch for my kid. He had found dictation very easy, and year 4 was the first time he was really challenged.

I'll bet that PHP has samples online.

Well, it is the same method but at a more difficult level. It is different literature selections, if that is what you are wondering. But, it follows the same pattern.

I found that year 4 was a great stretch for my kid. He had found dictation very easy, and year 4 was the first time he was really challenged.

I'll bet that PHP has samples online.

FLL4? Did you mean WWE4?

ETA: OP, I was wondering the same thing. I checked out the FLL4 samples on the PHP site and they seem to be mostly a repeat of FLL3. I had pretty much decided on skipping FLL4, since ALL isn't happening anymore. I would definitely love to hear others' opinions on this though. I've been thinking of asking this exact same question for a while now!

Edited by Element

In basically all grammar programs there is a lot of repeat in the very next grade-that is why we have done different grammar programs each yr for dd12 (FLL 1/2, Shurley 3, MCT Town, R+S 5 and then 7)-it has worked really well for her and given her a broad and varied way of looking at grammar.

Dd kind of plods along though so I kind of want to do FLL4. But I just don't want it to be a ton of repeat!

In basically all grammar programs there is a lot of repeat in the very next grade-that is why we have done different grammar programs each yr for dd12 (FLL 1/2, Shurley 3, MCT Town, R+S 5 and then 7)-it has worked really well for her and given her a broad and varied way of looking at grammar.

Dd kind of plods along though so I kind of want to do FLL4. But I just don't want it to be a ton of repeat!

I was honestly just thinking of going grammar-lite next year with ds8 (he'll be 9 next year.) This was his first year at home, and he picked up FLL3 wonderfully. It was a great program, and my dd will definitely go through it in 3rd grade. However, I don't really think ds needs another year of FLL. :confused:

I thought about going on to JAG, but it looks like AG can be used without having done JAG first so I'm just going to wait a couple of years and do AG. Next year, I *think* he is just going to do Serl's ILL and use a diagramming workbook for diagramming practice. Nothing is set in stone yet, though. I may still be convinced to do FLL4!

Edited by Element
Added links since I have a tendency to go acronym crazy :)

Is ALL on hold forever? I'm hoping it will be just another year or so. Or, should I give up and make a new plan? (sorry to hijack)

I'm following as I'm wondering the same thing about FLL3 vs FLL4.:001_smile:

As far as we know, ALL is on hold forever (although some Hive members are trying to convince SWB to make it available as a download. She stated she will consider the request, but I'm not holding my breath. The "1400 pages" was an estimate: She hasn't actually written them yet.)

I found FLL4 quite a step up in the pacing with my DS. More complex diagramming and terms are learned at a pretty brisk pace now (we are at lesson 76 in FLL4). He has been diagramming compound subjects and predicates, conjunctions with comma and semicolon joining for compound sentences. FLL3 for us seemed to be constant review (definition of a noun seemed to be drilled every week from FLL1 through FLL3!!), but I have been more pleased with FLL4. It seems IMHO to be gearing up from its very gentle pacing to what is going to be required in middle school/logic stage.

I found FLL4 quite a step up in the pacing with my DS. More complex diagramming and terms are learned at a pretty brisk pace now (we are at lesson 76 in FLL4). He has been diagramming compound subjects and predicates, conjunctions with comma and semicolon joining for compound sentences. FLL3 for us seemed to be constant review (definition of a noun seemed to be drilled every week from FLL1 through FLL3!!), but I have been more pleased with FLL4. It seems IMHO to be gearing up from its very gentle pacing to what is going to be required in middle school/logic stage.

Thank you for the input! I am seriously reconsidering FLL4.